RamCruiser...the build

Gummee

wannabe traveler
I saw the Ram in the pop up camper section and was fixin to PM the OP when I thought 'I wonder if he has a build thread?'

...and here we are!

I have an 04 2500 with the gas engine and a 5MT that is essentially a PW without some of the nifty PW stuff.

Need to dump the 20s the original owners put on. I bought a set of 17" wheels with 35s on em, but the 35s are done so I need to decide what size tires are going on next. ...which depends on whether I leave it as is or install a Carli leveling kit. The '33s' on there now rub at full lock.

Questions: did the winch behind the front bumper come stock?

M

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I saw the Ram in the pop up camper section and was fixin to PM the OP when I thought 'I wonder if he has a build thread?'

...and here we are!

I have an 04 2500 with the gas engine and a 5MT that is essentially a PW without some of the nifty PW stuff.

Need to dump the 20s the original owners put on. I bought a set of 17" wheels with 35s on em, but the 35s are done so I need to decide what size tires are going on next. ...which depends on whether I leave it as is or install a Carli leveling kit. The '33s' on there now rub at full lock.

M

Power Wagon package

The 2500 Power Wagon comes with the Hemi only, electric-locking front and rear differentials, electric disconnecting front sway bar, Warn 12,000-lb winch, heavy duty cooling , 160amp alt, full skid plates and 32-inch BFGoodrich off-road tires.

Gummee

wannabe traveler
Power Wagon package

The 2500 Power Wagon comes with the Hemi only, electric-locking front and rear differentials, electric disconnecting front sway bar, Warn 12,000-lb winch, heavy duty cooling , 160amp alt, full skid plates and 32-inch BFGoodrich off-road tires.
I did some digging and it seems that that winch can be retro-fit to my truck. Spendy, but do-able with MOPAR parts.

I don't have the locking diffs or the rest. Yet.

M

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Hey @LandCruiserPhil do you think this is a good deal? I was just curious and looking around my area on CL and found this 2006 PW ..... No mention of the features you listed except the winch. Fairly low miles, has an A/T & it's about a 6-7 hr drive for me to see it. Power Wagons are kinda rare in OR or maybe their owners just want to hang on to them, it seems.:unsure:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Hey @LandCruiserPhil do you think this is a good deal? I was just curious and looking around my area on CL and found this 2006 PW ..... No mention of the features you listed except the winch. Fairly low miles, has an A/T & it's about a 6-7 hr drive for me to see it. Power Wagons are kinda rare in OR or maybe their owners just want to hang on to them, it seems.:unsure:

Tom I sure you know this but the power will not be close to your diesel. From the pics looks a little ruff IMO. I have found a lot to run hard and the base model PW are popular with forest service and BLM. Do your research

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Tom I sure you know this but the power will not be close to your diesel. From the pics looks a little ruff IMO. I have found a lot to run hard and the base model PW are popular with forest service and BLM. Do your research
Thanks, Phil! Yeah, minimum pics and not enough details provided. I saw the PS door & rear bumper damage. Asking price was a little under NADA book. I wouldn't even try to haul my camper with a truck like this. If I went this direction it would be to downsize from my Lance, to a more offroadable type of setup. Say, a popup & PW like you're running. My F350 is too big and suffers from a lack of agility for the overlanding I do. It would be pointless to put a smaller popup on it, for my purposes. Thanks for the govt surplus suggestion!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

...and here we are!

M
CJC Offroad sells a Ram specific Method. My 35's don't rub anywhere on my '07.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Great build. Any further along on the composite camper replacement for the Fleet?

Im currently dealing with recovery from a house flood so no progress but still testing. Truth is I have been surprisingly happy with the FWC and considering a modified flat bed with exterior boxes for both cost and performance.

You have reminded me I need to bring this thread up to date.

shirk

Im currently dealing with recovery from a house flood so no progress but still testing. Truth is I have been surprisingly happy with the FWC and considering a modified flat bed with exterior boxes for both cost and performance.

You have reminded me I need to bring this thread up to date.

Sorry to hear about the flood hopefully your insurance works out well for you.

Look forward to the updates. The FWC are nice and I sorta wish one would work for my planned application, they just aren't well suited to a wet coastal environment and winter use. I'd like to put a composite side entry bare bones camper on a Ram 1500 and found your thread here in researching.

landman

This is gunna be a killer build! Subscribed! Love your winch setup, might have to do something similar to my dodge.
love seeing other dodges out there proving to be good platforms for off-road/overland.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Installed some 2" rails for some rocker protection and to protect my AMP Research steps

The steps do not operate when in 4WD and are well protected by the rails. They do not operate when the rear doors open to make access to the fridge without the steps being in the way. Its super nice having the steps without any loss of clearance.

1603809982836.png

Last edited:

richxd87

Observer
That really is the best of both worlds there Phil! What did you use for the rocker protection and how is it attached?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles