Vikings 2500 everything build

UglyViking

Please tell us more about the badge swap and the ceramic paint coating...

What do you want to know? Badge swap was pretty straight forward. I bought OEM badges, cleaned the area, put up blue painters tape borders, pulled the factory ones off by heating them and sawing through the foam with fishing line, then used a 3M eraser wheel to remove the rest of the foam/glue, aligned the new badges and held them against the truck for 30 seconds.

Ceramic paint coating I had done by a shop. So far it's holding up nicely, and def makes it easier to clean. That said it's still got some pretty deep scratches from off road use. It's not nearly as tough as I expected and you still get a fair amount of road grime. I used to have wheels on my jeep that were teflon coated and no matter how dirty they got or long it was between washes all you did was hit it with a hose and they came out looking new. I thought the ceramic coating would be similar but it's not even close really.

I'd say for a truck that is on road only, or dirt use, basically anything where you don't have to worry about pinstriping it would be worth it, beyond that I won't be doing it to any future trucks that I plan to take off road.

MickW

Yeah, you don't really need a lift to clear larger tires, especially if it's mostly pavement.

Before you make any decisions on what you want to build I would recommend you make a list of your goals as well as the current capabilities of the truck and what you're trying to improve. Are you towing anything? Are you carrying enough that you need all of the payload? Are you willing to sacrifice some of the payload for a softer ride and run timbrens/airbags for when you are tow/hauling? Do you want more suspension travel? How fast off road will you be going? etc.

The guys at Thuren are solid and I've shot back dozens of emails as well as a few phone calls. I couldn't be happier with their customer service. AEV makes a solid product as well, I just disagree with their philosophy on the suspension. I was looking at it pretty closely before pulling the trigger on Thurens stuff but after much digging I just realized that as much as I wanted to maintain payload I wanted a softer ride more. I'll be running bags for heavy loads prob in the spring.

The eventual goal is an in bed camper, which is why I got the 2500. Sure, I could have done it with a 1500, but I'd rather have too much truck. Thankfully I've got some time before I'm spending on more money on this rig.

I appreciate your time, and sorry for the mini thread hijacking.

UglyViking

The eventual goal is an in bed camper, which is why I got the 2500. Sure, I could have done it with a 1500, but I'd rather have too much truck. Thankfully I've got some time before I'm spending on more money on this rig.

I appreciate your time, and sorry for the mini thread hijacking.

Def make sure you look into your payload and the weight of the camper. The 2500 has surprisingly low payload due to the springs.

MickW

Def make sure you look into your payload and the weight of the camper. The 2500 has surprisingly low payload due to the springs.

According to my door sticker it's a hair over 3k lbs. I think it's really only the power wagon that has a depressingly low payload.

UglyViking

According to my door sticker it's a hair over 3k lbs. I think it's really only the power wagon that has a depressingly low payload.

Assuming you have the Hemi then? I've got the Cummins and mine is a tick under 2200. Not a huge loss, it's still way higher than pretty much any other rig you'd find off road outside the guys building 5500s. Besides if the Toyotas and Jeeps can double their payload and still be fine I'm sure that a little over isn't going to kill anyone, especially since the axles are rated for 2k more than the GVWR.

MickW

Assuming you have the Hemi then? I've got the Cummins and mine is a tick under 2200. Not a huge loss, it's still way higher than pretty much any other rig you'd find off road outside the guys building 5500s. Besides if the Toyotas and Jeeps can double their payload and still be fine I'm sure that a little over isn't going to kill anyone, especially since the axles are rated for 2k more than the GVWR.

Yeah she's a gasser. I cringe at some of the Tacomas around here that are far beyond payload before they even add passengers. Granted they'll probably be fine, but knowing I'm already over my legal weight before I even get in would kill me mentally.

MTVR

3,000 pounds IS a depressingly low payload capacity- ours is TEN TIMES that...

MickW

3,000 pounds IS a depressingly low payload capacity- ours is TEN TIMES that...
your vehicle payload is 30,000 pounds? are you maybe thinking towing capacity? Or am I not understanding what you're saying?

edit// Today i learned what an MTVR is! I'll leave my foot in my mouth for an appropriate amount of time.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
your vehicle payload is 30,000 pounds? are you maybe thinking towing capacity? Or am I not understanding what you're saying?
He had a MTVR.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the ceramic coating. I was hoping it would help with pinstriping. I don't care about our 12 year old Tundra but we are looking at trucks to replace it. I'm going to stay away from darker colors.

Your truck looks good. Its fun to see your pictures of it getting used in the dirt

UglyViking

He had a MTVR.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the ceramic coating. I was hoping it would help with pinstriping. I don't care about our 12 year old Tundra but we are looking at trucks to replace it. I'm going to stay away from darker colors.

Your truck looks good. Its fun to see your pictures of it getting used in the dirt

Thanks man. Not gonna lie that first trip I just kept kicking myself for taking such a nice new truck through what I did. That said, the thing is a beast and handles it all surprisingly well. If I was smart I'd have bought a truck for on road as a tow vehicle to keep nice and a cheaper off road vehicle.

phsycle

Adventurer

I almost got talked into ceramic coating on my last truck. But decided against it as it wouldn’t have worked well out here.

A friend of mine got DuPont Kevlar coating which has performed excellent. I’d suggest that, if you’re looking for the best protection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94