off-roading with hard side camper

socceronly

So.... with a DIY camper like this... what do people think of things like this?

Will this just rattle itself apart on a rough road? I'm not even talking about crazier off roading.

billiebob

hey, crazy cool. You are the guy I will park beside and offer a beer. Lots of glue, lots of screws, park it indoors when you are not driving it..... it'll last forever. Have you looked at the cracked roofs on commercial RV trailers ????? It will not be maintemance free but like anything build with wood..... keep it protected.

1000arms

So.... with a DIY camper like this... what do people think of things like this?

Will this just rattle itself apart on a rough road? I'm not even talking about crazier off roading.

You might find this link interesting:

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/ever-wondered-171000-diy-motorhome-looks-like-speechless/

From the link:

"Wood/Epoxy with fiberglass (or carbon fiber) is significantly stronger than tubular aluminum which has a skeleton, and then a separate skin. This truck is built like a multi-hull sailboat, structure and skin are one, making it very strong. I’ve been in a Gale sailing a 44 foot sailboats built like Shachagra and it took a pounding that no truck is ever going to give it, made me very confident in that method of construction."

There is a build thread:

--------------------------------

You might also look at the following wood+epoxy camper by @IdaSHO

(See Idasho's photo) ...
50032379922_cebda0686d_b.jpg

---------------------------------

@Teardropper has a book on building teardrop trailers which might be useful to you even building a truck camper.

-------------------------------

Although larger than a pickup truck camper, you might find some information in the following two threads:

rruff

Explorer
https://www.doityourselfrv.com/ever-wondered-171000-diy-motorhome-looks-like-speechless/
"Wood/Epoxy with fiberglass (or carbon fiber) is significantly stronger than tubular aluminum which has a skeleton, and then a separate skin. This truck is built like a multi-hull sailboat, structure and skin are one, making it very strong. I’ve been in a Gale sailing a 44 foot sailboats built like Shachagra and it took a pounding that no truck is ever going to give it, made me very confident in that method of construction."

"...10 Oz glass over marine grade plywood. The bottom 4 feet (the part we turned over) is 3/4 inch and the upper part is 1/4′ plywood- 2′ insulation panel- 1/4″ plywood."

Marine ply is great for skins on a sandwich panel. Just need to keep it dry.

1000arms

You might find this link interesting:

From the link:

There is a build thread:

--------------------------------

You might also look at the following wood+epoxy camper by @IdaSHO

---------------------------------

@Teardropper has a book on building teardrop trailers which might be useful to you even building a truck camper.

-------------------------------

Although larger than a pickup truck camper, you might find some information in the following two threads:

... Marine ply is great for skins on a sandwich panel. Just need to keep it dry.
A while back, I designed and built a small camper trailer to tow behind my Jeep. 45 degree angle at the back for departure angle. Same size rims and tires as on my Jeep. Same track-width. Torsion axle stubs. I welded up my frame with a receiver hitch front and rear on the trailer. Pintle ring inserted in to the front receiver on the trailer. Pintle hook in the rear receiver on my Jeep. Tongue long enough that combined with the pintle hook-ring setup, I could turn with the tongue more than 90 degrees from straight ahead towing, without Jeep body to trailer body contact. The trailer body was built out of 2x laid flat and 3/8" plywood, with 3/4" plywood floor. Silicone on every joint and sheetrock screws. No insulation or interior sheathing, so very easy to see how all the joints held up. I painted the outside with Rustoleum white metal paint. I towed it across the US. It spent a lot of time in the Pacific Northwest rain (and some snow), but had no leaks when I sold it 5 years later. :)

I "glued and screwed" every bit of the perimeter, on every panel, to something solid. The "glue" did the sealing and the screws pulled the panels tight and clamped them until the "glue" cured. I was careful to avoid pushing all of the "glue" out of the joints.

I painted multiple coats of Rustoleum metal paint (white) and let the ACX plywood soak up all it could, especially the edges. It was just ACX plywood from the store with the cheap orange buckets. :cool:

The camper trailer was easy and cheap to build and seal. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier