JK traction control issue

ventura911

Adventurer
Looking for your ideas re: a long-term gremlin I’ve been trying to fix. My ‘07 JK’s traction control kicks in at 25 mph, but only when making left turns while going down hill through one particular canyon. I’ve driven this canyon road since the Jeep was new, and as the modifications and evolution took place, the Jeep has never been close to being out of control or leaning much. For many years, this issue would only occur on one 180*, 20-mph turn, but after the road was repaved a few years ago, it happens on each and every left turn.

A couple of months ago, I started to try to figure things out. As a result, I now have new ball joints, u-joints, lower control arms (front and rear); new bushings for the upper controls arms (front and rear) and the Currie Antirock rear swaybar; and new front speed sensors and rear ABS/speed sensors.

As the Jeep is nearly 14 years old and has 179,000 miles on the clock, these things needed some TLC, so I don’t necessarily mind that what I’ve done has not fixed the issue. If there’s something else anyone can suggest I try, I’m all ears, even if it’s just to live with my “Grimes Canyon gremlin.”

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ve had the same issue. Your wheel has rubbed through the insulation on the abs sensor wire. $30 and 20 min to replace the wheel sensor pigtail and you’re back in business. Lots of quality and price levels on Amazon.

ventura911

Adventurer
I’ve had the same issue. Your wheel has rubbed through the insulation on the abs sensor wire. $30 and 20 min to replace the wheel sensor pigtail and you’re back in business. Lots of quality and price levels on Amazon.
I’ll check that out, thanks!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ll check that out, thanks!

you may have replaced the harness with the sensor changes, but I would still suspect it as bad. Mine managed to wear almost 6 inches of insulation down, yet never worked into the wire very obviously. Changing was quick and easy.

ventura911

Adventurer
Just to confirm, are you talking about the rear ABS/speed sensor, or the front speed sensor that came with its harness? The rear was just the sensor.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Front. That is why it only happens when you’re turning and the suspension compresses. I would guess passenger side, but inspect with a bright light and you’ll see the marks.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Traction control or stability control?

How would you know if traction control was cutting out on a dry canyon road? Is there a difference in a JK? I’m thinking that I’m talking about Stability Control but using the terms interchangeably. If there is a difference, my advice could be significantly less valuable.

ventura911

Adventurer
Well, the light is called the Electronic Stability Control (ESP) Indicator Light/Traction Control (TCS) Indicator Light,” so either/or? The ABS kicks in at 25+ mph.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Well, the light is called the Electronic Stability Control (ESP) Indicator Light/Traction Control (TCS) Indicator Light,” so either/or? The ABS kicks in at 25+ mph.

That sir is stability control, NOT traction control. The ABS brake system is activated at different corners to settle the suspension. I am betting that your steering wheel is not centered and you have one or more bad rear shocks. What is happening is a section of roadway is inducing body roll, combined with input fooling the computer into thinking you're also in a turn. Lift kits and larger tires tend to amplify the "false inputs" that activate the system. To this day my Jeep will do this on the 118 eastbound between Balboa and the 405 and on the 14 as you hit the flats by the gravel pits.

ventura911

Adventurer
That sir is stability control, NOT traction control. The ABS brake system is activated at different corners to settle the suspension. I am betting that your steering wheel is not centered and you have one or more bad rear shocks. What is happening is a section of roadway is inducing body roll, combined with input fooling the computer into thinking you're also in a turn. Lift kits and larger tires tend to amplify the "false inputs" that activate the system. To this day my Jeep will do this on the 118 eastbound between Balboa and the 405 and on the 14 as you hit the flats by the gravel pits.

Fair enough. I re-centered the steering wheel this evening and will check things out in the morning. Thanks for the tip on the shocks; I’ll check that out, too.

ventura911

Adventurer
If you need a code puller I think I might be close. Off of Yosemite.
No codes have shown up so far; maybe the earlier JK’s weren’t set up to show as much info as later JK’s. Yep, you’re close; I’m near Sequoia and LA. I’m working this weekend, but perhaps sometime soon we could meet up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles