Is a Jeep Wrangler with a Defender Front End considered blasphemy?

SVTRIT

Well done! I applaud your effort and enjoy what you’ve done. Nothing wrong with it at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mipatter

Well done! I applaud your effort and enjoy what you’ve done. Nothing wrong with it at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I'm going to put the Wrangler stickers on the side of the hood (Bonnet) today. It was a fun project. I'll post some "how to" youtube videos in the near future.

akpostal

Adventurer
This confuses me in a way that is making me question things.

I like it.

img_4334-jpg.619512

Ben Steiner

Adventurer
All the ones I met doing serious miles in Africa were like this too.... for a while.

Then after the 2nd engine re-build or gearbox replacement or 5th wheel bearing or 4th clutch (or all of the above!) they were fed up with it.
Quite a few said they had trouble with their clothes.... they were all getting destroyed by so much oil because they were constantly under the Rovers.
Quite a few were openly angry when I explained I didn't need parts for my Jeep because it never suffered a mechanical failure.

-Dan

These two did five times more major work on their Defender 110 going around Africa than I've done on all the vehicles I've ever owned combined.

Dan,
Im just wondering what year was there Defender?
How many miles previously were on the Defender?

your Jeep was practically rand new as I recall?

I personally have a soft spot for both Jeep and Land Rovers. I love the Defender for it’s simplicity, no electronics.

However I have travel America and Canada in my AEV with a Ursaminor as well. Lived in it for a year, and really enjoyed all the stuff I’m glad the Defender doesn’t come with.

In conclusion, two different vehicles for two different experiences. That’s what life is all the about, enjoy the journey.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dan,
Im just wondering what year was there Defender?
How many miles previously were on the Defender?

your Jeep was practically rand new as I recall?

I personally have a soft spot for both Jeep and Land Rovers. I love the Defender for it’s simplicity, no electronics.

However I have travel America and Canada in my AEV with a Ursaminor as well. Lived in it for a year, and really enjoyed all the stuff I’m glad the Defender doesn’t come with.

In conclusion, two different vehicles for two different experiences. That’s what life is all the about, enjoy the journey.

Hi Ben,

By the time I got to Africa my Jeep had about 75,000 miles on it (around 120,000 kms)

I met people with Defenders that were just a few years old with 90,000kms who had already replaced the water pump, clutch, oil pump, starter and alternator.

Of course I met people with older defenders with more miles than mine who were having nightmares.
For what it's worth, mine now has 185,000 miles on it (almost 300,000kms) and I *just* replaced the alternator last week. Basically nothing else.

While I agree the Defenders put a huge smile on faces and they're a different vehicle for a different purpose, the number of people I met who were utterly fed up with theirs in Africa and South America makes me extremely hesitant to trust one.

-Dan

shirk

I love it. Hopefully it pisses off both Jeep and Land Rover purists.

Next can you find a way to skin the front of a Ram 1500 with LR3 front end? The Ram checks most all boxes for what I need but damn I can't stand the way they look.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Land Rover protects their brand quite aggressively, and the Series III front end is a registered icon, so you may have IP issues. I would worry about that more than reactions from either side of the Jeep/Land Rover fan base

billiebob

hard to believe anyone could improve the Wrangler style, but congratulations, Chrysler should be offering you a job.
Fabulous styling !!

Much more in balance with the existing body tub rear.
(y)(y)(y)

I put an AEV HighLine clip on my TJR....... no haters,it is a loved obsolete body kit.
Haters are everywhere, pray we return to sanity.
You have a fabulous product.
If I had a JK I'd want it.

AEV sold a lot of HighLine kits.......
then quit once the JK arrived.........
they also built the $70K JKU/Brute kit?
And quit once Jeep introduced the JT.
If you can do this Defender/JK kit and make a buck $$$
Just do it !!!!

Honestly.... I'd buy one..... looks fabulous !! Well done.

Jeep has done a few odd things. Like the 1970s Commander
Yours is much better tho......

But you need better balance on the plastic flares.

001.jpg

The Wrangler is the new hot rod.
A mass produced Jeep catered to the by the afermarket.
The JK has HUGE potential.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Land Rover protects their brand quite aggressively, and the Series III front end is a registered icon, so you may have IP issues. I would worry about that more than reactions from either side of the Jeep/Land Rover fan base

That was my first thought too.

86scotty

Cynic
Not to hijack the thread but I recently sold a Rubicon that I thought was tastefully modded. ARB bumpers/winch with a 2.5" lift on 33"s on factory Rubicon wheels, and that's about it cosmetically. I sold it to a local dealer and about a month later I got a message on Facebook. "Hey, I found your insurance card under the seat of a Jeep I bought with your name on it, can we chat?" I said sure.

He went on to tell me how he pulled the bumpers and put silly half bumpers on it, put a grill on it, bigger wheels and tires, lifted it more. "I just wanted to give it my personal style". I never responded after that because my only response would be you mean everybody else's style?

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I agree it’s blasphemy but as a lover of both I like it. I understand it from the drivability standpoint. I have a cj7 and my wrangler is light years ahead of it. I don’t have the funds for a one off custom so my jk looks like a jk and that’s ok for me. It’s definitely a head turner and I don’t think an enthusiast of either would key it (you might have some secret envy though, they just won’t admit it) I don’t think you’ll be invited to any Land Rover rally’s! The jeep crowd will be more likely to accept it as we’ve seen the worst mods done to a car on wranglers, like the grumper and the angry eyes. Congrats on a nice execution though. It looks good and the two designs actually fit together well because they’re the same type of utility vehicle.

NatersXJ6

Explorer

Did I miss something? Is the OP selling kits? If this is a one off custom, have fun with it. If you start thinking about selling these, consult an attorney (who will probably say “No”).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles