2020 Ford Transit AWD

86scotty

Cynic
The ad had a long description.

I didn't read the ad. I went on the info shared by the person who originally shared the ad that said leather, assuming he had insider info. Also, as I stated, it looks better than any Ford vinyl I've seen.

If you still need the last word then go for it. This is all water under the bridge and wasn't important in the first place. Let's move on.

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

The idea of the diesel is intriguing, but dang that will be a small engine for a big van fully kitted! Even geared perfectly I can't imagine it not being in the boost all the time...

"Shoving aside the diesel inline-five, the 2020 Transit borrows the sequentially turbocharged 2.0-liter diesel inline-four from the overseas Ranger Raptor. Ford confirmed that the U.S. version produces the same 211 horsepower and 369 lb-ft, up from the five's 185 hp and 350 lb-ft. "

rruff

Explorer
The idea of the diesel is intriguing, but dang that will be a small engine for a big van fully kitted! Even geared perfectly I can't imagine it not being in the boost all the time...

"Shoving aside the diesel inline-five, the 2020 Transit borrows the sequentially turbocharged 2.0-liter diesel inline-four from the overseas Ranger Raptor. Ford confirmed that the U.S. version produces the same 211 horsepower and 369 lb-ft, up from the five's 185 hp and 350 lb-ft. "

A review of the old diesel found it to be the fastest vs MB and Ram. https://www.caranddriver.com/review...-benz-sprinter-ram-promaster-comparison-test/

Since this is the Euro diesel, thought it might be good look for reviews on that...

"We sampled one of the biggest Transits you can buy – a long-wheelbase, high-roofed 350 – with a seemingly very modest 128bhp turbodiesel powering its rear wheels.
Even when filled with an entire flat’s worth of belongings, it was charging forward with the keenness (if not quite the speed) of a Ferrari 488 Pista on a warm trackday. You’d be very dim-witted indeed to stall a Transit. It feels like there’s 500lb ft of torque everywhere in its rev range, and you end up pulling away from lights and dicing through traffic with the confidence of a motorcyclist, such is the urgency of its powertrain."

"As for fuel economy and the like, this will depend on a) which size of Tranny you’ve bought and b) quite how much of a hurry you’re in between jobs. But we were comfortably getting mid 30s mpg out of a fully loaded big Transit. And we were being certifiable idiots (hence that flagrant 488 Pista reference). It wouldn’t be the best-selling van by a mile if it was also the most cost-inefficient to run. "

Note that the rated mpg for these is in the mid 40s...

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Lot of misinformation being thrown about.... :) I don't have any problems at all rotating the DS/PS Scopema swivel seats in my current van, no opening door, no push down parking brake, etc.
OEM swivels have been reported to work fine by some and not spin 180 without opening doors by others, I suspect they would work fine for me.

Maybe a review of the Ford Transit order guide will help answer some of the other comments.

As of this date, you still CAN order a 2020 if you know a dealer with allocations. Ordering now would get your van the fastest you could likely ever get one as 2020 production ends in December.
2021 order bank hasn't opened yet (expected 11/1) Order guide is expected this week or next. Ordering a 2021 will take the longest as you would have to wait for fleet orders and dealer stock to be produced. Likely March/April.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
About the operation of swivel seats in general...based on many many years of experience with the Westfalia seats, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle...

By that I mean the operation of the swivel seats depend on many factors which seems to change over time (like if the door is open, if the armrest is up or down, how much the back seat is reclined, if there is a steering wheel or not, where is the seatbelt at that moment, is it daylight or night, is the glove box open to get the bottle opener, how drunk you are, etc, etc).

I do agree that the passenger side seems to be a lot more useful than the driver one. I also personally would prefer not to alter the driving position (I am not super tall).
I would probably just get the passenger side if going aftermarket.

Joey G

We have several customers that are going through this right now. If you are not a certified manufacturer, you can order the cab chassis with a very basic (cheap) flatbed, register it, remove the bed (sell it!) and then do your camper body. Getting in registered as a camper afterwards should be easy.
Can you share who they're ordering these through?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
What's your current van? Genuinely curious.

I think it is this one:

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
What's your current van? Genuinely curious.

I stand by my statement that I find them beyond worthless in most driver seat applications. I would love it if this had NOT been my experience.
I think it is this one:

That one sold, it only had the passenger side swivel. The 10 way power heated seats are a whole different deal when it comes to swivel installation/modification and ease of rotation, definitely not as easy.
now I'm in this one, https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/boise-2018-ford-transit-camper-van/7213804995.html I can single handedly rotate the driver seat.... worth it if a family of four wants to "dine in".

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
That one sold, it only had the passenger side swivel. The 10 way power heated seats are a whole different deal when it comes to swivel installation/modification and ease of rotation, definitely not as easy.
now I'm in this one, https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/boise-2018-ford-transit-camper-van/7213804995.html I can single handedly rotate the driver seat.... worth it if a family of four wants to "dine in".

Brian

Very nice vans (both). The sleeping areas "downstairs" is very clever.

May I ask what seat is this? I recall seeing it a couple times in the past but not the manufacturer.

awd_transit_14.jpg

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Brian

Very nice vans (both). The sleeping areas "downstairs" is very clever.

May I ask what seat is this? I recall seeing it a couple times in the past but not the manufacturer.
Its manufactured in China. Wilderness Vans imports them to Canada. https://www.wildernessvans.com/product/2-seat-bed-800/
We have a folded sheet metal bracket for floor mounting, and working on a bracket to mount this seat to the OEM 2nd row (pass./crew van) seat legs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles