Is a Jeep Wrangler with a Defender Front End considered blasphemy?

mipatter

I think there are a lot of us out there that love classic 4x4s but, don't off road. I'm one of them. We buy classic 4x4 vehicles and enjoy sharing stories when we run into fellow enthusiasts. Twenty years ago, I purchased a 1977 FJ40 and slowly fixed it up. Today, it's a beach buggy and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. When I sold my company a few years ago I was going to buy a Defender 90 but, decided on a 1992 Mercedes 250 GD 'Wolf'. Now I enjoy both but, I ran into some similar issues with the Wolf that I have with the FJ40.

Recently, I purchased a 2nd home and contemplated a 1995/1997 Defender 90 for when I vacation there but, after thinking about how much of a pain in the butt old vehicles are I decided against it:
* most old 4x4s are under powered (wolf = 80HP, FJ40=120HP)
* it is difficult to remove the doors on both vehicles
* generally stiff suspension - although the wolf has coils which make it much better.
* significant waiting time when new parts are needed. It can take a week or more.
* finding a mechanic that wants to work on the vehicle
* noisy at speeds above 40 MPH
* terribly time consuming to go topless and put back on especially for sudden rain
* tops sometimes leak in the rain
* generally a miserable ride if the top has to be on
* no highway riding as the vehicles have high winding engines at speeds over 50MPH
* no cruise control, electric windows, backup cameras, heated seats, etc.

I wanted a cool classic vehicle like the Defender that had modern bells and whistles. I agree that I can add some of the above features to older vehicles but, it all gets very expensive and very custom which isn't ideal if something has to be fixed.

I decided to get a Jeep Wrangler and see if I could put a Defender front end on it. I searched the web and I couldn't find anything from anyone who had done it. So, I gave it a shot and I'm pleased with the results. I'm going to start a company to do it for other Jeep owners. Pictures of my Jeep/Rover made it to social media where Jeep and Defender purists, had mixed opinions. There were haters and some who had positive things to say.

Do I need to worry about my Jeep/Rover's paint getting keyed because some enthusiast just can't stand the thought of a 4x4 that celebrates two great vehicles from different manufacturers? I'm interested in everyone's opinion. Please be constructive.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Answer to thread title: Probably. But do what you want!

I'm not at all qualified to give anything other than my opinion on LR's since I've never owned one and only known a couple of friends who have, but I can say this: LR ownership itself (here in the US) brings to mind two words, purist and luddite, so given that it's probably blasphemy.

I can't fault people who own them though. They always have the biggest smiles on their faces puttering along in the slow lane when I pass them.

I think your execution is admirable, I'm just not sure I could badge any vehicle different than what it is.

mipatter

Answer to thread title: Probably. But do what you want!

I'm not at all qualified to give anything other than my opinion on LR's since I've never owned one and only known a couple of friends who have, but I can say this: LR ownership itself (here in the US) brings to mind two words, purist and luddite, so given that it's probably blasphemy.

I can't fault people who own them though. They always have the biggest smiles on their faces puttering along in the slow lane when I pass them.

I think your execution is admirable, I'm just not sure I could badge any vehicle different than what it is.
You make an awesome point "I'm just not sure I could badge any vehicle different than what it is." I just receive my 'Wrangler' stickers for both sides of the bonnet. I'll be sure to put them on soon.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I think I like it. It's not like there aren't thousands of Jeep running around...they sell 10000/month. So sacrificing a few ones should not be a problem.

Ben Steiner

Adventurer
Just need one of each, however looks pretty good. I kinda like it.

Attachments

• 8CD3DF4F-C4F6-42F6-8148-BC95C57403B7.jpeg
    8CD3DF4F-C4F6-42F6-8148-BC95C57403B7.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 131

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I wouldn’t be so much concerned about the Blasphemy (which it is) but more the reliability. Adding a Rover badge to a Jeep just about guarantees an expensive repair any time you want to drive more than 100 miles, or maybe go up a hill. The only thing worse would be to swap in a powerstroke while you’re at it!

It looks like a fun project though, and the awesome thing about having your own money is that you get to use it however you want to! So good for you!

Jurfie

Adventurer
Really well executed!

I'm less offended by that than those angry bird grills. But I don’t think I’d be a buyer. I think the cool factor is the fact that it is unique And one of a kind.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

All the ones I met doing serious miles in Africa were like this too.... for a while.

Then after the 2nd engine re-build or gearbox replacement or 5th wheel bearing or 4th clutch (or all of the above!) they were fed up with it.
Quite a few said they had trouble with their clothes.... they were all getting destroyed by so much oil because they were constantly under the Rovers.
Quite a few were openly angry when I explained I didn't need parts for my Jeep because it never suffered a mechanical failure.

-Dan

These two did five times more major work on their Defender 110 going around Africa than I've done on all the vehicles I've ever owned combined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles