Custom 2019 Ford F450 & Removable Alum Shell

eli

Observer
Custom 2019 Ford F450 and one-of-a-kind Aluminum Shell

If you don’t like attention, this probably is not the rig for you. Built to handle the most burley conditions, every aspect of this rig is overbuilt. It features a custom REMOVABLE aluminum shell which sits on an aluminum flatbed installed to a 2019 Ford F450 Ultimate Lariat 4WD Diesel.

Our travel needs have changed so we are letting go of our dream rig for someone else to enjoy.

Overview:

This rig was built to travel the backcountry in style while pulling a lifted Airstream. The Shell was designed to hold two motorcycles (or an ATV) while having plenty of room for extra gear and equipment, as well as a 46 gallon water tank and a battery/ inverter/ solar panel system capable to run an ARB refrigerator indefinitely as well as fill virtually any electrical needs.

This well thought out custom build includes surround exterior light with a remote control, 300 watts of solar, an access ladder and roof rails for hauling extra cargo if needed.

Truck Features: 2019 Ford F450 Ultimate Lariat with 39k miles (MSRP for truck was $79,095)

Factory Features:

• 6.7 liter Power Stroke Diesel with 6 speed Auto trans 4WD
  • Lariat Ultimate Package - Navigation, Remove Start, 10 way Driver / Pass Heated / Cooled Front Seats
  • Tow Technology Bundle - Adaptive Steering, Lane Keeping Alert, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera
  • FX4 Off-Road Package
  • Extended Chrome Running Boards
  • Power Moonroof Twin Panel
  • Quad Beam LED Headlamps
  • Fordpass Connect 4G WiFi Hotspot
  • Remote Keyless Entry
  • Powerscope Power Fold Heated Mirrors
  • Roof Clearance Lights
  • 360 degree Camera System (includes 7 cameras)
  • Sirius XM
  • Sync 3 with 8” touchscreen
  • Trailer brake controller
  • Hill Decent Control
  • Auto Dual Zone Climate Control
  • Upfitter Switches
  • Dual Extra Duty Alternators
  • Universal Garage Door Opener - 3 way
  • B&O Premium Audio

Truck Custom Build Features:
  • BRAND NEW 41” CONTINENTAL MPT81 TIRES
  • Super Single Conversion by DBL with custom 20” beadlock wheels
  • Custom Front Tire Flares coated with Bedliner
  • Custom gearing
  • Bedliner on rocker panel
  • 2-1/2” lift kit
  • Custom Fox 2.0 Shocks tuned for this application
  • CM Aluminum Flatbed with 4 storage boxes and Mac’s tie down track
  • Custom fenders for rear tires
  • Electric Front Differential Locker
  • Road Armor Stealth Lonestar front bumper
  • Smittybuilt 17.5k winch
  • Rigid 40” E-Series LED light bar (relayed to high beam)
  • Rigid D2 LED lights with amber covers
  • Rigid DOT LED lights
  • Rigid Diffusion LED lights in rear bumper (relayed to back-up lights and also switch in cab)
  • Extreme Outback Magnum 12v compressor with 5 gallon air tank (switch in cab, outlets in both rear boxes and front bumper & gauge)
  • Rear suspension air bags with separate compressor and wireless remote
  • Centramatic auto wheel balancers
  • Mac’s Custom Tie Down Track on flat bed mirrors track in shell so Motorcycle Wheel Chocks can be used on flatbed to haul bikes without shell.
  • Full width safe under back seat
Shell Features:
  • Custom all aluminum construction with insulation and custom wood pallet paneling
  • 6 foot hydraulic rams to lift Shell on and off the truck - wired remote control
  • Two 150w solar panels
  • Solar Charge Controller
  • 75 Amp Charge controller to charge batteries from 110v source
  • Electrical connection to truck to charge batteries when engine is running (via relay)
  • 46 gallon water tank with 12v water pump
  • Hidden Storage compartment in overhead area
  • Access ladder to roof
  • Wireless Remote control area lights on front, rear and sides
  • Two Side external amber “patio lights”
  • Two Odyssey Marine Batteries
  • Roof Rack
  • Two motorcycle chocks
  • Mac’s Custom Tie Down track throughout
  • Spare Tire in shell
  • 10 foot motorcycle ramp
  • AC inverter
  • External and internal 12v and 110v outlets
Asking $$115,000 / Best Offer

Photos at: https://blackdogcw.smugmug.com/Custom-F450-Shell-For-Sale

Located in Sandpoint, ID but West Coast delivery options are possible
(closest airport is Spokane WA and we can pick up the buyer)

I know I don't have to say this but the Airstream and motorcycles pictured are NOT included in the sale....

blackdog

Observer
I am 95% certain I saw you driving south on 5 somewhere around Portland OR a few weeks ago?? I thought it was a kimbo camper but it definitely looked like a replaced bed such as this.

I was passing through Portland in early July - a bit more than a few weeks ago but time flies...

I have a bdcw skid plate and relo kit on my ktm 1290- If you all are the same and if this thing is anything even close to that quality- then all I can say is .... holy f.....well I’m not allowed! And I push that thing around like my 250 with the foot pegs...Nice rig...glws

Yes, standard Black Dog quality included.

JumpJ

Adventurer
Any issues with towing the airstream ? We have a Black Series HQ17 that my 4x4 sprinter can't tow but I am told the F450 chassis will have no issues. But have to ask your experience so far. THX

blackdog

Observer
Any issues with towing the airstream ? We have a Black Series HQ17 that my 4x4 sprinter can't tow but I am told the F450 chassis will have no issues. But have to ask your experience so far. THX

No issues at all. I Forget the airstream is back there sometimes - it will haul it as fast as you want to go and hills are no issue. I towed with a Sprinter for years and I hated it, which is why we decided on a truck platform for this build. The F450 has real brakes, a real motor with plenty of torque, tow/haul mode, engine braking, etc. There is no comparison with a Sprinter which often created a pucker factor for me going up or DOWN hills.

i hope that helps
Kurt

Beautiful truck. Incredibly tempting. Can I get some more detail on the insulation and aluminum shell build process? Ie what type of insulation and how thick?

How is the aluminum sealed?

Definitely could suit our purpose - my daily driver and personal getaway vehicle for solo mountain trips, but that can tow a travel trailer for extended trips with my wife.

Appreciate the huge amount of work that’s gone into this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bherwig

Kurt, Can you tell me if the flatbed is 6.5 feet long and would you be willing to sell the truck and aluminum flatbed without the camper?

blackdog

Observer
Beautiful truck. Incredibly tempting. Can I get some more detail on the insulation and aluminum shell build process? Ie what type of insulation and how thick?

How is the aluminum sealed?

Definitely could suit our purpose - my daily driver and personal getaway vehicle for solo mountain trips, but that can tow a travel trailer for extended trips with my wife.

Appreciate the huge amount of work that’s gone into this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the compliment. I used 1.5 inch hard foam insulation in the walls and ceiling. The aluminum build process was welded by a master welder that is actually one of the few welders in the country certified to weld on military jets. The aluminum sides are sealed with rivots and the roof is rivoted and sealed externally with roof sealant. It is overbuilt to say the least.

FTI - All the roof supports are not in place in this photo...

Shell_frame.jpg

Thanks for your appreciation of the build. It has been a huge undertaking to get it built and there is no doubt I will miss it. I never thought I would be selling it but life changes.

Thanks
Kurt

Last edited:
Reactions: mog

blackdog

Observer
Kurt, Can you tell me if the flatbed is 6.5 feet long and would you be willing to sell the truck and aluminum flatbed without the camper?

The flatbed is 8' long. The shell is built specifically for this flatbed so it is for sale as a complete unit. FYI - the shell is not a "camper". We used it as a "toyhauler" for our motorcycles and gear but it could be built out to fit other needs.

i-v8Dnh4r-L.jpg

Thanks
Kurt

Reactions: mog

1range

Adventurer
Same question here, would you sell the truck without the "toyhauler" / I am assuming you all sold the AS already?

blackdog

Observer

Same question here, would you sell the truck without the "toyhauler" / I am assuming you all sold the AS already?

1range - see answer above. I am willing to sell the just the truck and flatbed without the "toyhauler" for $90k.

Yes the AS is spoken for already

Thanks
Kurt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles