12v plug & socket

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes that powerlet style connection is indeed much more secure, I've seen lots of plastic melted from standard ciggie ports even at low amps, just from wobbly loose intermittent contacts' sparking, so easy to accidentally disconnect.

The BSS style actually twist locks.

But neither support much current, Andersons for that, and IMO

best to use that as my inhouse standard across the board once I bought the right crimpers.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Which crimpers? I've been meaning to order some Anderson stuff for years.
I've been happy with the TRIcrimp set Powerwerx sells.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes that's fine for someone only needing a few dozen connections at a time.

Cheaper than that is mostly junk waste of money.

The really durable pro level ones are hundreds even secondhand on eBay.

but sometimes you can find one to borrow locally.

For the supplies / terminations / housings, do not buy the cheap counterfeit stuff, even if the patent has lapsed

proper suppliers sell the genuine article, difference in quality is worth every penny.

Powerwerx, Digi, Mouser etc

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I’ve been using one similar to that for about 20 years. It’s rewired at least two cars and done hundreds of misc jobs.

DaveInDenver

Nope, the TRIcrimp isn't a production tool but it's sufficiently high quality. Seems equal to an Ideal frame I have and maybe even a little smoother. It's the same frame that Rod Collins sells. His just has blue handles instead of red. The dies are well made, too.

These tools make completely acceptable crimps but their calibration probably won't hold over hard use like the Tyco, Molex or Andersen pro tools will. So just don't expect to make a hundred qualified crimps between calibrations and save yourself $250.

DaveInDenver

So if you get the Tricrimp from PowerWerx, you can swap out the dies with the ones MaineSail sells on marinehowto?
As near as I can tell the two frames are identical. If there's a downside it's that the dies for them are not cheap from either place, although Powerwerx for $60 gives you several instead of $30 per pair from Rod. One thing I have noticed is the lower jaw geometry on these tools seem different than other brands like Klein, including Ideal, so the dies don't interchange well. So the ones for this frame only work well with this frame.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
From my notes:

TRIcrimp tool is a knock-off of the West Mountain Radio crimp tool which is a knockoff of the Anderson crimp tool.

I'd bet there is a bit more quality in the frame Rod's selling?

Not saying necessarily worth paying double for a DIYer though. . .

john61ct

Adventurer
Actually with dies you do get what you pay for

Rather, you definitely don't win by buying the cheapest.

Again, just for DIYers' few dozen crimps per year

vs pro-level duty cycles, easily repeatable mil-spec results required

All those are cheap IMO. Try shopping from Germany!

DaveInDenver

From my notes:

TRIcrimp tool is a knock-off of the West Mountain Radio crimp tool which is a knockoff of the Anderson crimp tool.

I'd bet there is a bit more quality in the frame Rod's selling?

Not saying necessarily worth paying double for a DIYer though. . .
These crimpers (PWRcrimp, TRIcrimp, Compass Marine, etc.) I believe are sourced through CMI (https://cmi-mkt.com), which is the intermediary in Taiwan representing various factories in Taiwan and China. So, sure, it's possible and maybe probable they are not exactly identical but it appears to me the design variants are superficial and the quality will of course depend perhaps on customer requirements. I very much doubt any of them are truly custom or proprietary designs to any one company, not at the price and volume they're selling them.

The Anderson tools (such as their p/n 1309G2 for PP15/30 and 1309G3 for PP45) do not appear to be made by CMI, at least utilizing the same frame design. For one I believe from import documentation that the Anderson tool is manufactured in China (presumably by the contractor Ideal uses, since Anderson is owned by them) and not apparently Taiwan (or at least through a Taiwanese company) like the CMI tools. Also they just don't look the same and the way the crimp pressure is adjusted is different.

Last edited:

Florida Native

I've been happy with the TRIcrimp set Powerwerx sells.

Those are the ones I use. They work very well for the amateur DIYer. I buy all my APP parts from Powerwerx. I don't trust the cheap stuff found on Amazon.

-Mike

john61ct

Adventurer
I bought one of these at least ten years ago and, while I don't use it often, I'm always glad I got a nice one.https://www.greenleestore.com/produ...s-crimping-tool-8-1-0-awg?variant=15441613059
Good for battery lugs, but not for the smaller PowerPoles.

Each terminal type has its specialized crimper, and v/v, use the right tool for the job.

Which is why thrifty DIYers pick a standard set of connectors, limited number of sizes in quality wiring, reduce the count of expensive tools they need to pack along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles