Vehicle recommendation

D

Deleted member 9101

"Foreign" trucks sold in North America AND the North American 1/2 tons are a joke.

You can buy a Ford Ranger crew cab in Australia with a 1000kg (2200 lbs) payload.

It's like they only exist to force people into 3/4 and 1 ton sized larger trucks.

Funny thing about your statement... Every single 1/2 ton truck I have owned was rated to do 100% of the things I asked of it.

Very few people in America need to out 2k in the bed of their truck. Most need a family vehicle that can tow their toys and haul stuff home fron Lowe's.

shirk

Funny thing about your statement... Every single 1/2 ton truck I have owned was rated to do 100% of the things I asked of it.

Very few people in America need to out 2k in the bed of their truck. Most need a family vehicle that can tow their toys and haul stuff home fron Lowe's.

I don't disagree with anything you say there. I just want to know why the same vehicle gets a different payload rating in other markets?

ricoisme26

Thanks for all the replies! Since I've gotten the recommendation for going for a full-size truck, any more specific recommendations?
How about a 2012 Nissan Titan 4WD?

Ive heard people that have the 5.6 titans love them. I can’t speak to them though.

I’ve had a 2016 f150 with the 2.7 ecoboost, was a great engine did everything I asked of it, I totaled that truck in an unfortunate situation, sunglare caused me not to be able to see a vehicle stopped at the intersection with a green light. 25mph to 0 without me hitting the brakes and I walked away without a scratch. I was very impressed with how the truck protected me even if it did get totaled in the process.

I currently have a 2012 f150 with the 5.0, I should have bought another 2015+ truck as I am not sure how the safety ratings if the older model compares but I was also buying a house and it was a better price point.

Now owning a house, in a neighborhood with half an acre, not a property, I wish I had a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. 5 foot bed is tough to fit lumber or plywood in. This might be unique to me but 1/2 ton trucks don’t really seem to be rated to tow much regularly, think 5000lbs. I’ve had more than a few projects where a dump trailer would have been nice but you’d be surprised how little dirt, rocks, etc fit in a 5000lbs gvwr trailer.

If I were to go back and buy a truck again I’d be looking at an f250 or f350 with the gas 6.2 or a chevy or gmc 2500 or 3500 woth the gas 6.0, I believe 2009 was the first year for the 6 speed auto behind the chevy 6.0.

Both engines should be plenty reliable both trucks should be enough to handle anything you throw at them. I’d like to step down to an extended cab with the bigger 8’ bed but I think a crew cab is in order with our 75lb dog needing the room in the back seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

I don't disagree with anything you say there. I just want to know why the same vehicle gets a different payload rating in other markets?

Different trucks for different markets. The overseas Ranger and the US one are diffferent trucks, just like the Hilix and the Tacoma.

D

Deleted member 9101

This might be unique to me but 1/2 ton trucks don’t really seem to be rated to tow much regularly, think 5000lbs.

Well... My 2017 F150 is rated to tow 7500 lbs and you can get them rated to tow up to 14000 lbs in the 2021 model. A modern 1/2 ton thats only rated to tow 5,000 lbs is a rarity these days.

I have the 5.5 bed and have no problem hauling sheets of plywood, lumber for fencing, or anything else. You just leave the tailgate down...lol.

Also... For what you do you dont need a 3/4 or 1 ton... You'd just be paying a lot for fuel for no reason...lol.

ricoisme26

Well... My 2017 F150 is rated to tow 7500 lbs and you can get them rated to tow up to 14000 lbs in the 2021 model. A modern 1/2 ton thats only rated to tow 5,000 lbs is a rarity these days.

I have the 5.5 bed and have no problem hauling sheets of plywood, lumber for fencing, or anything else. You just leave the tailgate down...lol.

Also... For what you do you dont need a 3/4 or 1 ton... You'd just be paying a lot for fuel for no reason...lol.

If you look into it most f150s are only rated up to 5000lbs with a weight carrying hitch and then higher with a weight distributing hitch. My truck is rated 7700 with weight distribution but using one isn’t feasible with a dump trailer. I have a lot of dirt to move would be making lots of trips with lots of backing up the trailer.

My truck gets about 15 mpg so I would probably get 12 or so in a 3/4 ton so I am saving on gas, I suspect if I did more highway driving my mpg would bump up and a larger trucks would remain the same so I’d save more there too. All depends on your intended use for the truck

docster

Those half tons that can tow the max are even more rare than one rated for only 5-7k. It’s typically a reg cab 2wd model usually an XL with no options. It’s best case scenario. Very few on lots will be even close to that. Also, once you have towed a 7k trailer with a 1/2 ton, the the same trailer with a 3/4 ton, you will see why people buy the 3/4. It’s a completely different experience. My F150 has far more power than even the new 7.3 gas F250. But that truck tows so much better than mine. It has far more to do with components and weight of truck vs power and ratings.

D

Deleted member 9101

Those half tons that can tow the max are even more rare than one rated for only 5-7k. It’s typically a reg cab 2wd model usually an XL with no options. It’s best case scenario. Very few on lots will be even close to that. Also, once you have towed a 7k trailer with a 1/2 ton, the the same trailer with a 3/4 ton, you will see why people buy the 3/4. It’s a completely different experience. My F150 has far more power than even the new 7.3 gas F250. But that truck tows so much better than mine. It has far more to do with components and weight of truck vs power and ratings.

I towed (for work) 10K for years with an F150...had zero problems. Does my new 3/4 ton handle it better...sure...but that doesn't imply that the F150 was insufficient in anynway.

In fact, the total cost per mile driven was lower for the F150 than the 3/4 ton.

My brothers Limited is rated for 9600lbs... They has 6 on the lot when he bought it.

When I bought my STX they had a hand full of XLT, Super Crew, trucks with the Max Tow package. A base XLT doesn't weigh a whole lot more than an XL.

Last edited by a moderator:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If you look into it most f150s are only rated up to 5000lbs with a weight carrying hitch and then higher with a weight distributing hitch. My truck is rated 7700 with weight distribution but using one isn’t feasible with a dump trailer. I have a lot of dirt to move would be making lots of trips with lots of backing up the trailer.

My truck gets about 15 mpg so I would probably get 12 or so in a 3/4 ton so I am saving on gas, I suspect if I did more highway driving my mpg would bump up and a larger trucks would remain the same so I’d save more there too. All depends on your intended use for the truck

Dump truck delivery is cheap here. Even the contractor with his 3500 just has the dump truck drop dirt off ?

calicamper

Expedition Leader

The newer F150’s with the right tow pack are much higher than 5000lbs. Shoot the basic non HD Expedition is 6000. Mine is the HD max rating 9300. Though I wouldn’t plan on long trips with anything over 6000.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I don't buy it on crash ratings.

Jeep Wranglers meet the US crash standards but get pretty low ratings internationally. Is Jeep making a completely different frame for international markets vs the US?
All the US trucks seem to be sitting on different frames than their over seas cousins. They get a bendy bit right at the back of the cab for crash ratings. Over load it or hit whoops with a trailer and you get a banana truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My Cousin has the Titan. Great engine solid transmission lousy mileage. Quality of components are mehhh. Typically the brake system and electronics die before the engine and transmission. The body holds up pretty well. I know a few guys that finally replaced theirs at 250,000 due to ABS system issues and various electrical problems. The engines were all still rock solid.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
In the USA there are 80mph (130kph) speed limits and ice and snow and a lot of states which don't do vehicle safety inspections.

Any comparison with ratings in other countries shoupd take this into account
Yeah when you get passed by a pickup hauling saddled horses, in a stock trailer and your doing 85mph. You realize the US is very different than most other countries regarding distances and speeds. Pretty sure he was pushing 95mph. I sped up to 90mph and he was still pulling away from me. That was some where in Northern AZ or Southern Idaho or maybe Northern Nevada, could have been any of those places.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I've posted it before, and I'm sure Ill post it again...

GVWR of vehicles, especially pickups, in the USA has more to do with regulation, taxing, insurance, and $$$$ than anything else anymore.

And depending upon your state, you are much better off with a class 2, 10,000lb GVWR pickup than the same pickup with a class 3 10,001+ GVWR
BOTH trucks are grossly overbuilt for their GVWR, if you actually consider things like axle ratings.

fotw707.gif

ricoisme26

I've posted it before, and I'm sure Ill post it again...

GVWR of vehicles, especially pickups, in the USA has more to do with regulation, taxing, insurance, and $$$$ than anything else anymore.

And depending upon your state, you are much better off with a class 2, 10,000lb GVWR pickup than the same pickup with a class 3 10,001+ GVWR
BOTH trucks are grossly overbuilt for their GVWR, if you actually consider things like axle ratings.

fotw707.gif

rember this isn’t true for all states, I’m in Pennsylvania, my f150 is registered class 2 5,001-7,000lbs, technically I can’t use the last 500lbs of my 7500 gvwr Factory rating. Nothing here is class 3 and class 4 is split 4A and 4B 9,001-10,000 and 10,001-11,000, costs the same to register either I think they split hairs to have more reasons to fine you if you get caught overloaded. Regardless know your state laws and use common sense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles