Rambo - GMC Ambo Conversion (Roof Raise)

TheRealPapaK

Will I got a couple hours on the ambulance before I did something dumb with a knife and sliced my hand pretty good. It’s not too bad and only need a couple stitches but half my hand is numb and I can only use about 5% strength before it gets u comfortable so I may be out of commission for a week or so. Maybe I can putter on some electrical in a couple days

Idecided to block off the rear passenger side door. You can still open it to get under the floor but there is a wall above the floor level. I had to remove the seal and I made my own ghetto seal by taping up the door and shooting spray foam in the frame. Now thewall can sit flat against the door frame without the weather seal in the way.988FE3A4-B827-42C3-B89D-1213D5CCC1A2.jpeg
D0DEE57E-EFAF-446D-BA40-DE7093AF4562.jpeg

billiebob

I haven't totally decided. It might not bet the smartest idea but I think I might mark on the plywood where the studs are and then screw a long machine screw through the plywood, rigid insulation and into the stud.
there are truck builder self driller specifically for this process

Last edited:

TheRealPapaK

there are truck builder self driller specifically for this process

Thanks. I did ordered a bunch of another brand but I need to try another brand as the heads kept snapping off and I was only drilling into aluminum.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I did ordered a bunch of another brand but I need to try another brand as the heads kept snapping off and I was only drilling into aluminum.
They certainly shouldn’t snap when drilling into aluminum. I’ve had some issues with them if the steel was longer than the “drill bit”. When I’ve used self tappers in the past, I’ve noticed a big difference between ones from Acklands Grainger & cheaper places.

TheRealPapaK

They certainly shouldn’t snap when drilling into aluminum. I’ve had some issues with them if the steel was longer than the “drill bit”. When I’ve used self tappers in the past, I’ve noticed a big difference between ones from Acklands Grainger & cheaper places.

I tried the 2” ones I bought and they haven’t been snapping like the 3” ones were.

My hand is healing up better than I had hoped so I was able to get a bit more insulation on the walls and some 5.5mm board up. I wish I went with 3/8” as this stuff is so flexible I can’t sink the countersunk screw head into the board.

I should have another good day to wrap up the walls and then I can start putting in the water tank, dry room, and start building my dinette.

84728C73-C26A-43C4-99F3-3E9E4607A552.jpeg

TheRealPapaK

Well the snow is supposed to start tomorrow so I did a last ditch effort to get some paint done on the body work that finally Was finished. The paint is a little off white which I don’t love but it will get me through to spring when I can match it better
F791668E-64A8-4FE5-AF70-856617E3E62D.jpeg
98DB1B4B-103C-4B26-9AA6-C3AB1F8ED813.jpeg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Well the snow is supposed to start tomorrow so I did a last ditch effort to get some paint done on the body work that finally Was finished. The paint is a little off white which I don’t love but it will get me through to spring when I can match it better
View attachment 618502
View attachment 618501

looks good. If nothing else, it’s sealed and ready for a colour matched top coat.

I wish there was an affordable paint that I could just buy that’d be a great match, but if such a thing exists, I’ve never seen it,

I had the local Automotive Parts / Paint shop scan the colour and make a custom spray can. It was about $45, but almost a perfect match

TheRealPapaK

looks good. If nothing else, it’s sealed and ready for a colour matched top coat.

I wish there was an affordable paint that I could just buy that’d be a great match, but if such a thing exists, I’ve never seen it,

I had the local Automotive Parts / Paint shop scan the colour and make a custom spray can. It was about $45, but almost a perfect match
Yeah I will get the paint matched properly in the spring. A tiny unforecasted rain shower completely ruined the finish anyhow so it will have to be sanded and repainted...sigh. Such is life. I

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Yeah I will get the paint matched properly in the spring. A tiny unforecasted rain shower completely ruined the finish anyhow so it will have to be sanded and repainted...sigh. Such is life. I

All you need is a garage to pull it into. I've got a garage, but the Ambo will never fit into the <7' door. At least it's there for working on my shorter truck. I just need to clear up some other projects so I have space & time to work on it.

TheRealPapaK

Gas struts to hold the panels up at an angle? That's awesome! I might need to steal that for my build!

I don't have a picture of it, but I also installed them so when the gas strut is completely parallel to the roof, the panel isn't all the way down. That way when the panel is all the way down the gas strut holds in down. I think I'm still going to put a latch some where cause in the perfect conditions I think it could get lifted up. The real Cadillac would be to get some linear actuators. Then you could lift them up and down from inside and they would hold the panels down securely when they were in the down position.

TheRealPapaK

Your build is coming along great! Keep up the good work and posts :) how’s your hand healed?

Thanks for asking! I over did it and some stitches popped out when they weren't supposed to :eek: so I've taken more days off. I've been mostly in the planning and sourcing materials for the drop down bed that I need to get the guts in so that I can finish the ceiling insulation.

Splitfuse

Thanks for asking! I over did it and some stitches popped out when they weren't supposed to :eek: so I've taken more days off. I've been mostly in the planning and sourcing materials for the drop down bed that I need to get the guts in so that I can finish the ceiling insulation.

Good idea, take advantage of the downtime to get ahead on planning. Glad to see the Maxxair went in nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles