Overkill Campers

EPO

Hi all-This is my first post here after lurking for some time. My question is regarding Overkill Campers. I really like their product line up and would like to purchase one however, I have not received a response to my emails. Has anyone had success? I could call them but I do worry about putting money down with a lack of communication. Not trying to bash them in any way, just trying to buy what looks like a great solution. Thanks.

altonsavagenye

I live in Bend, about 10 minutes from their warehouse. I got pretty close to pulling the trigger on an Overkill SO510 about two months ago. I also really liked the design and it's clearly a well built product, so I reached out to JP (their sales guy) and asked if I could swing by to take a look at one in person and ask some questions. They made time for me that day, as they were heading out on a trip the next morning, and I saw them working on a couple trailers that they were taking down to California for delivery. They let me pick their brains for about an hour, and I left fairly certain I was going to buy one.

I sent JP a few follow-up emails, and while it took him a few days to respond since they were traveling, he did get back to me and answer my questions as best as he could over the phone. I definitely got the sense that they're a small crew with a lot on their plate, though, so they don't always prioritize answering emails/phone calls. I think you'll have to be fairly patient with them, as they're swamped with work right now.

I will note that they're also currently re-designing significant parts of the SO510 -- the galley is switching out some of the Zarges boxes for actual cabinets, and they're building a pop-top into the roof so people can opt for a second enclosed bed space instead of an RTT -- and I've noticed they took down their website, with a placeholder that says a new one is "coming soon", so it's possible that they might not be taking orders right now until they can get mock-ups of the new design up for everyone to see. A couple of months ago, their lead time was something like March/April, so at this point, I'm guessing you probably wouldn't get one until the middle of next summer.

My read from spending an hour or so at their shop and trading emails/phone calls with JP is that they're probably more focused on building the trailers they've already sold than trying to sell more new ones, and that their strength is in design and functionality more than marketing and customer service. So if you really want one (and they do look awesome), I'd keep trying. If you really can't get ahold of anyone there, I could always send JP a text and ask what the best way for a new customer to reach them would be.

I will note that if you're expecting to spend roughly $40K after optioning out your Overkill, you may also want to look at a startup out of Southern California called RKS Off-Road. I went back and forth between the Overkill SO510 and the RKS Purpose, and eventually pulled the trigger on the Purpose once they introduced their Ambassador Program, which provided a large enough early-adopter discount to basically even out the pricing between the two. We're definitely taking a risk on a company that hasn't yet actually produced any trailers beyond a prototype, but Travis and Elisabeth have spent a ton of time showing that they're very invested in their customers -- we did two Zoom calls with them that went multiple hours, and have probably spent another few hours trading emails over the last few months -- and they re-designed part of the interior based on some feedback we gave them. In this low $40s price point, I think the Purpose is currently the best bang for your buck, though with all the caveats that go along with a startup that hasn't actually delivered a product yet.

Winterpeg

I also think they have a great product and they're at the top of my very short list.... I'm interested in seeing what changes they make, even though I'm more than happy to have the zarges boxes... I think they're a great redundancy option in keeping things secure and dust/moisture free.

I literally JUST checked their website last week (give or take) and it was still up... and now it's not.

I'm very glad they are still in business....

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Interesting design with the RKS trailer. I like the basic idea and layout compare to other tear drop trailers.
At first glance I can see a huge difference between Overkill and RKS: Insulation.
RKS is using honeycomb panels and aluminum structure. I can see lots of thermal transfer and condensation if you are using it in cold weather.
Overkill is using, as far as I know ,1" foam core panels. With the Overkill I also like the idea that you "could" use part of the kitchen while being inside. Having a strictly outdoor kitchen is a no go for me. I have been out way too many times where the bugs or weather made it miserable.

altonsavagenye

When I talked with them, Overkill was claiming an R7 insulation value on the trailer, and RKS is claiming R6. I think they believe their use of marine-grade vinyl on the inside will help insulate the trailer, but since they're based in LA and have tested their demo trailer over the summer, we don't really know yet.

The other significant weather-related factor is that RKS is running all their lines inside the trailer, and insulating the water tanks for 4-season use. Time will tell whether their design works as well as they hope, but they're definitely attempting to build a trailer that is compatible with hauling it up the mountains in the winter.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
When I talked with them, Overkill was claiming an R7 insulation value on the trailer, and RKS is claiming R6. I think they believe their use of marine-grade vinyl on the inside will help insulate the trailer, but since they're based in LA and have tested their demo trailer over the summer, we don't really know yet.

The other significant weather-related factor is that RKS is running all their lines inside the trailer, and insulating the water tanks for 4-season use. Time will tell whether their design works as well as they hope, but they're definitely attempting to build a trailer that is compatible with hauling it up the mountains in the winter.

Overkill R7 seams correct. It's usually calculated R5 per inch with a foam core. Honeycomb is virtually not giving any insulation as you only have air pockets and a thin layer of FRP as insulation. It's a little bit better than tent fabric. For them to have insulated tanks and lines for winter use is pretty much pointless.
In any case, I don't want to step on anyones toes but the mis conception of honeycomb panels offering insulation is mute.

DirtElk

I believe the guys are Overkill are pretty busy with their contract to make trailers for a rental company and the total number of customer built ones for 2021are somewhat low since they are a small crew. Might be that there is not a lot of marketing due to limited capacity at this time as well. I'm not sure if they have moved into their bigger shop yet. Any orders taken are likely in the July or later timeframe now. I'm in the May/June slot for an SO510. SO510 wound up being a good fit for me as I did not want an inside bathroom, wanted a bed and dinette inside that did not require converting one into the other, and prefer to keep my kitchen outside.

I was at their shop a couple of months back and both models are quality products. At the time of the visit I was told they build in batches of 5 then the next batch of 5 will see any tweaks and so on. All design tweaks we had discussed for future batches were ergonomic and hardware upgrades, and not going backward.

JP has been good about responding via email or phone calls unless they are traveling then the response can be delayed. Just sent JP an email at 5:45 this morning (Pacific) and had a response by 6:25 AM.

The RKS is an interesting design and I did consider looking into it a bit further, but the design was not the fit for my needs.

Last edited:

Winterpeg

RKS thinking a marine grade vinyl has any R value is ridiculous.

Good to hear Overkill is still trucking along....

altonsavagenye

Looks like the new Overkill website is up, and they've put an options build tool online to give you a good sense of what it will run with the selected options. Lots of info about the people behind the company (and their dogs!). A big upgrade from the old site, for sure.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
I've visited overkill at their shop a few times (I live in the same town) and have been very impressed with the product. I think it's true to the name in that the durability of the frames is probably off the charts and a bit unnecessary but there it is right in the name.

They are a small crew though and probably can't be super responsive.

I've also seen a bunch of other trailers at Overland expo. I think overkill has got to be among the best built.

I just had an online chat with RKS asking about their frame construction. They said all aluminum with stainless steel fasteners except the hitch attachment and suspension.

Unless they know something about chemistry that I don’t, mixing stainless and aluminum isn’t a great idea...

Corkster

How much do these bad boys run?
Take a look at their website, they have a trailer build tool and pricing is very dependent on which options you pick. They have a pop top version coming that shows up on the price sheet, I reached out to them and supposedly there will be more info mid-March

Spider7565

Re-energizing this thread...

I've experienced serious delays in dealing with the guys at Overkill. First, a five month delay beyond the promised new build delivery with was scheduled for four months (nine months total). Second, a four month delay after the brand new trailer was found to be in need of repairs beyond the realm of practicality and it was decided to swap the first trailer for a second, new build. I'm extremely frustrated with the process, delays, and transparency of Overkill. They have great engineering and analytical minds, but horrible business sense. From my research on this and other forums, it seems like they've overpromised to a multitude of customers--while collecting a healthy payment upfront--only to underperform due to their own mismanagement and prioritization of business ventures, such as the teaming with Oregon Adventure Rentals and their new MARS project in Arizona.

Anyone else experience similar issues?

EPO

This definitely worrisome particularly for those that live a distance from Oregon. You had to have the entire camper rebuilt? What were some of the basic problems?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles