Tracker vs Sidekick vs Samurai TOAD......

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Currently looking the direction of a small, sub 3,000lb TOAD for our travels.

Small, 4wd, flat-towable, and cheap is the name of the game.

Which would you suggest and why?

Thanks for any input.

GeorgeHayduke

How about a 2 door Jeep XJ? Isuzu Amigo? Old Subaru Impreza?

Does it need to be street legal? I think you could flat tow a Mahindra Roxor...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Needs to be street legal, have a heater, and be winter friendly.

BTW, neither the XJ or Amigo are under 3k lbs.

Also, I wasn't aware of ANY year AWD subaru being flat tow friendly.
What year range are you referring to?

billiebob

There might be some other tiny 4x4 SUVs, but the Tracker/Sidekicks are a dime a dozen and parts are also cheap.
Any other choice will be harder to find cheap parts for. Buy the best you can find. Trackers/Sidekicks were built cheap, everything from doors to spare tires can fall off on a higher miler which has been abused. If you bump up to the 4 door versions, you might find a real creampuff driven by a retired couple.

Chorky

Observer
I think a TJ is a great option. My '06 is a GVWR of just under 4500. Curb weight I bet would be right around your max. Maybe a tad higher than your 3K limit, but I sure do like my TJ. It's simple, all the comforts one 'needs', and for me has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned - and I haven't exactly been nice to it the last couple years. So far, it has left me stranded in my driveway ONE time, that was due to the ignition key lock cylinder pin breaking - kinda an odd situation. I'm sure an older model TJ would be lighter. Or maybe even consider a YJ. Would have to go back to a carb, or not so computer controlled engine and I think they do have some reliability issues there, but you can still find a 4.0 pretty easily, at least right now and probalby for another 5-10 years. Samurai is a good option but I suppose I would question continued parts availability as time goes by. TJ's will be in the same boat in another 10 years, but for now parts are still widely available.

Heres mine - about 7 years ago maybe? Stock, with 31's before the 4" lift (which I want to replace for a 2"). I've been extremely happy - the best vehicle I've ever purchased!
IMG_0183.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Theres always something like this.... Not my cup of tea, and probably not yours. But, thinking outside the box here.

That's actually exactly what Id be interested in.

And currently I am leaning towards the direction of a tracker or sidekick, mainly for low entry cost (Sami's are gettin' spendy), fuel injection, and parts availability.

No way Id consider a TJ. Ive owned a few, but there is no way Il be going back to a Chrysler product. Bad enough that Im considering a GM product :ROFLMAO:

For those that have towed these little rigs, how are you handling brakes? I see there are a handful of aftermarket brake kits available, and it seems that as time goes on more and more states "require" brakes on towed vehicles, no matter the weight. I would like brakes on the TOAD, regardless of legality.

Chorky

Observer
That's actually exactly what Id be interested in.

And currently I am leaning towards the direction of a tracker or sidekick, mainly for low entry cost (Sami's are gettin' spendy), fuel injection, and parts availability.

No way Id consider a TJ. Ive owned a few, but there is no way Il be going back to a Chrysler product. Bad enough that Im considering a GM product :ROFLMAO:

For those that have towed these little rigs, how are you handling brakes? I see there are a handful of aftermarket brake kits available, and it seems that as time goes on more and more states "require" brakes on towed vehicles, no matter the weight. I would like brakes on the TOAD, regardless of legality.

Might want to give them a ring. I think your pretty close to my area, worth checking out. I'm curious...why do you dislike the TJ idea? what's the bad experience you had?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
That is one that has hit my radar.

Though I'm still deciding on which way to go. I have plenty of time.
I've had a couple of TJs, clean ones... and while they are among the most reliable Chryslers out there, I was never impressed.

Not that I'm looking to be impressed with a uber small sidekick or tracker..... :ROFLMAO:
But the TJ just doesn't check the under 3k box. Its really that simple.

This will be a budget rig.
Right now I'm even looking at non-runners.

'cause the way I typically do things, I know the moment I get it Ill tear it all apart to rebuild it anyhow.....

Chorky

Observer
That is one that has hit my radar.

Though I'm still deciding on which way to go. I have plenty of time.
I've had a couple of TJs, clean ones... and while they are among the most reliable Chryslers out there, I was never impressed.

Not that I'm looking to be impressed with a uber small sidekick or tracker..... :ROFLMAO:
But the TJ just doesn't check the under 3k box. Its really that simple.

This will be a budget rig.
Right now I'm even looking at non-runners.

'cause the way I typically do things, I know the moment I get it Ill tear it all apart to rebuild it anyhow.....

Totally makes sense. If i happen to see something come up I'll let you know. Theres a bunch of stuff out here that never makes it to craigs.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Works for me. Thanks

I'm shooting for sub 2k right now.
As well as planning on spending a winter and another 2k to bring it up to speed 100%

Cheap thrills, but I'm due for another good project :ROFLMAO:

There is a rough Sami locally that I'm watching.
But I wont touch it for less than 1500.
So until he comes around to my offer....

A cheap Sami + motor swap and other updates would be a great option.
A Sidekick or tracker would get me there without the swap.
I just dont have the "cool" factor of the Sami.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The Sidekick and the Tracker make excellent toads. Make sure you git a manual transmission and stop every 200 miles when towing em as per vehicle recommendations.

Just remember you are trying to be CHEAP by purchasing a vehicle that was CHEAP when it was new. Not a good combination when trying to be successful.

Find the nicest vehicle you can that was a toad behind a big motorhome from some old couple who is now selling out since they no longer can handle driving a big coach with a toad. Spend your money UPFRONT buying a better CHEAP vehicle rather than buying a CHEAP vehicle and then spending money on that CHEAP vehicle.

There are a lot of enthusiast groups on Facebook help and support.

Personally I would buy a Sidekick or Tracker long before a Sami for all the reasons you list above!

sourdoughben

Currently looking the direction of a small, sub 3,000lb TOAD for our travels.

Which would you suggest and why?

Thanks for any input.
Why the 3,000 lb. limit ? Sounds to me like the tow vehicle is questionable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94