New Defender News

XJLI

Adventurer
Good video, thanks for sharing. I don't know the terrain in that area at all, but it would be neat to see how other vehicles do on that same trail in similar conditions.

Also, Lucky8 has used lift rods I believe? It seems that their Defender isn't as "planted and pliable" as others I've seen -- it actually looks quite bouncy and unsure at times. Hard to say as the video was edited with a lot of cuts, so I may be totally out to lunch. On another forum, there's a discussion about the lift rods being a disadvantage on the new Defenders and I'm wondering if that is in fact the case. I know the rods are necessary to get anything bigger than a big 32" in there, but I wonder if the extra height is worth the tradeoff in performance (if there is one).

Yup this one has +2" rods. Someone has to quit being a nancy, trim the wheelwells and stuff a 34x10.5 under one without any lift rods or other BS. GAP tool running 3/4" more probably all you need for "the look"

Carson G

The +2" "harsh ride" of LR3/LR4 was not due to increased air pressure in the springs - that's a myth. In fact there is no more pressure in the raised strut, just more volume of air. You only get more air pressure when you add weight to the truck. The "harsh ride" is due to the new control arms geometry pointed towards the ground being not as easy to compress when lifted +2".

Maybe the Def2 will be different than all the other air sprung LandRovers, but that's also not how air strut spacers typically work. YES, the air strut limits the drop and upper limit range of motion. Adding the spacer would move the range of motion down 2" EXCEPT: the CVs and control arms still have design limitations and need to be prevented from exceeding original drop limits. This is why the air strut kits come with webbing limit straps. SO, with spacers you lose 2" of compression and gain something less than 2" of drop.

Thankfully Lucky8 is out there testing and breaking things to find these limits.

I didn’t say it was a air pressure problem. Making the air spring taller is just like putting a taller coil spring on that has the same spring rate. But this is a shock travel problem, all of droop in the shock has been turned into up travel and it basically makes the cross link system useless. Sure one side of the axle may be able to go up but the other can’t go down because there’s no droop left.

Carson G

Yup this one has +2" rods. Someone has to quit being a nancy, trim the wheelwells and stuff a 34x10.5 under one without any lift rods or other BS. GAP tool running 3/4" more probably all you need for "the look"
34’s should fit great with a 3/4-1” lift. That’s only 2” bigger in diameter than stock.

DieselRanger

I didn’t say it was a air pressure problem. Making the air spring taller is just like putting a taller coil spring on that has the same spring rate. But this is a shock travel problem, all of droop in the shock has been turned into up travel and it basically makes the cross link system useless. Sure one side of the axle may be able to go up but the other can’t go down because there’s no droop left.
I think the Defender's system is different. I read somewhere on its design that it retains some drop / negative travel even in (super?) extended mode. A 1 or 2" lift it will still retain the same total drop in Offroad heights and in Extended Mode. The lift just takes away the ability for the vehicle to go into Access Height and "resets" the Normal height to that new lifted height. Should not take away any net negative travel and should not affect the crosslinking capability that was added.

Up through the D5, the air springs top out only in Super Extended mode which leaves zero drop - but that's supposed to be a "get me unstuck" mode which the user can't manually get into without grounding or wading in deep water to trigger the automatic Extended Mode first. Only then can the driver command Super Extended mode.

T-Willy

TFL purchased a base spec Defender with rear locker and advanced 4WD, (But for the center seat and tow package it's identical to the build I put together.) I look forward to their reviews.

Carson G

TFL purchased a base spec Defender with rear locker and advanced 4WD, (But for the center seat and tow package it's identical to the build I put together.) I look forward to their reviews.

That’s very similar to how I would spec one. I however would get the 18” alloys, center console, black roof and side square, and maybe the country pack.

JackW

Explorer
I made the same decision to go with the four cylinder due to simplicity but upgraded the stereo and seats for a little more luxury and comfort on long trips. The Meridian stereo is fantastic by the way. I got the tow pack with Terrain Response 2, ATPC and locking rear differential. The four cylinder has plenty of power and a nice growl to it. I have the 18" alloys, no sunroof, and the rack and fender extensions. The suspension system is very firm and controlled, great on both twisty pavement and dirt roads.C12P0101-M.jpg

C12P0097-XL.jpg

Last edited:

naks

ZA review at a local 4x4 trail, with an old 110 accompanying him.

I've done this trail once or twice, and it's NOT as easy as it looks, especially seeing that we've had torrential rains in the past few months & weeks.

Blaise

They gonna stick lift rods on it like their LR3 then be surprised when its topped out and struggles?

Probably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles