Expedition One Rear Bumper

Who is going to spend the time and energy to remove and package a bumper and send it back to Utah for warranty repair? And then who knows when they will receive it back....10-14 weeks?

Missed this, no we actually pay the cost for a local shop to repair a workmanship error when it comes to powder coating minus the removing and reinstalling the bumper. If its a manufacturing error, obviously we would send you a new bumper and arrange for the old to be returned.

Jace Randolph

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
Another update.I had to use a crowbar to open the driver's side rear latch on the bumper today. :mad:
The plastic coated pin on the passenger side that slides into place to hold the bumper in the open position has been hanging up for about a year.It has been cleaned with a car wash nozzle,lubed with various products without positive results.
I checked the AEV site they are still saying their rear bumper is on the way. :giggle:
Toyota still gets most of the cool aftermarket stuff.

Oilbrnr

Another update.I had to use a crowbar to open the driver's side rear latch on the bumper today. :mad:

Welcome to the Crowbar Club! I actually went and bought a small one that I put heavy duty velcro hooks to and stuck to the bedrug material inside my ARE shell (accessed via side "Windoor"). Now that I have a Four Wheel Camper in the back, the swing outs are not on as the FWC sticks out a tad too far.

I need either come up with a viable complete bumper replacement, have someone mod the arms or make new ones, cause I need them for added fuel range. Not to mention a place to hang a faded Trasharoo so I look legit. ?

I think you know the answer... has one person said they made it right or fixed the issue?
Hey! We actually handled most things off the forum and in our email as we prefer to do so. Much easier to keep track of a customer case and solve it. We have fixed the issues with some of our latch systems and offer warranty replacements to those that had issues. Please reach out at info@expeditionone.biz if you have questions!

nater

Adventurer
Hey! We actually handled most things off the forum and in our email as we prefer to do so. Much easier to keep track of a customer case and solve it. We have fixed the issues with some of our latch systems and offer warranty replacements to those that had issues. Please reach out at info@expeditionone.biz if you have questions!

Nice to hear things are redesigned for the latches - folks should be reporting positive experiences then? Feedback on this thread highlight some other issues - Have the camera issues, light connector issues, powdercoating issues, delivery time issues, or general confusion been resolved? Dont forget the back up sensor issues...

I for one was displeased with my FJ rear bumper - with powdercoat failure within the first year, and nothing but issues with the spindle and seals. I would love a swing out bumper for my power wagon, I just dont have confidence that things are better over there. And telling us "you deal with it offline" after being so active in this thread is a bit odd?

Gentleman below: I think you all had dealings with them - any updates?

@chet6.7
@Kingsize24
@Oilbrnr
@marshal
@reloaderguy

Kingsize24

Sure... I don't mind updating. I personally feel the design is great, and the welds and general build quality is spot on. I still believe what I originally stated about the bumper when I first got it. It's those last few details that break it.
I had a choice to remove the bumper and deal with them, or do it on my own and do it right the first time. In the end, it was easier to just recoat locally on my dime, and they actually
matched the texture of my front ARB bumper while I was having it done. Now there are no more pieces flaking off like before. Then they chemically dipped it. The part was shiny. Had ZERO etching for the powder process to adhere too. No wonder it failed. No prep.
The backup sensors have never worked. They simply didn't spend enough time, nor attention to details to even index the sockets properly so they would even closely fit like stock. There are index tabs on the sensors themselves, as well as the flush sensor body mounts.
And the lights. I eventually had to source my own 2 pin female plugs to allow plug and play lighting for the license plate lights.
Since correcting those issues, I have been enjoying the bumper. It has a great design, I just wish I didn't have the bad taste in my mouth for the company, and the way they handle things. Going that last little bit is what makes or breaks a product. JMHO

Nice to hear things are redesigned for the latches - folks should be reporting positive experiences then? Feedback on this thread highlight some other issues - Have the camera issues, light connector issues, powdercoating issues, delivery time issues, or general confusion been resolved? Dont forget the back up sensor issues...

I for one was displeased with my FJ rear bumper - with powdercoat failure within the first year, and nothing but issues with the spindle and seals. I would love a swing out bumper for my power wagon, I just dont have confidence that things are better over there. And telling us "you deal with it offline" after being so active in this thread is a bit odd?

Gentleman below: I think you all had dealings with them - any updates?

@chet6.7
@Kingsize24
@Oilbrnr
@marshal
@reloaderguy

chet6.7

Explorer
Sure... I don't mind updating. I personally feel the design is great, and the welds and general build quality is spot on. I still believe what I originally stated about the bumper when I first got it. It's those last few details that break it.
I had a choice to remove the bumper and deal with them, or do it on my own and do it right the first time. In the end, it was easier to just recoat locally on my dime, and they actually
matched the texture of my front ARB bumper while I was having it done. Now there are no more pieces flaking off like before. Then they chemically dipped it. The part was shiny. Had ZERO etching for the powder process to adhere too. No wonder it failed. No prep.
The backup sensors have never worked. They simply didn't spend enough time, nor attention to details to even index the sockets properly so they would even closely fit like stock. There are index tabs on the sensors themselves, as well as the flush sensor body mounts.
And the lights. I eventually had to source my own 2 pin female plugs to allow plug and play lighting for the license plate lights.
Since correcting those issues, I have been enjoying the bumper. It has a great design, I just wish I didn't have the bad taste in my mouth for the company, and the way they handle things. Going that last little bit is what makes or breaks a product. JMHO

Can you give some more information on the plugs and what you did?
Thanks.

chet6.7

Explorer
Expo1 did reach out via email,they want me to send pictures and videos of the latch and latch mechanism from different angles.They also said they have a part that can be swapped out that will help, but they want to make sure it will solve the issue before sending it out.I didn't take pictures,I am tired of dealing with them.....Just send the parts out.
They also say to spray some lube in there.I have sprayed lube in there many times,it does help a little,for a short period of time,it is still hard to open,I keep a crowbar handy.
Hopefully KS will get back on his solution to the license plate lights.I have been powering them off of the trailer 7 pin,but it is not a good solution.I was getting ready to power them from the sPOD, but that is not a good solution either.
The back up sensor issue is a PIA,and I suspect always will be.

They link to this video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online