New Defender News

Yeah, kinda makes me question the approach of the Denver dealer to setting the TC for more wheelspin. I suppose the theory is, if you have some sand over smooth hardpack/rock then the extra wheelspin will sweep the surface until the tires bite.

Wheelspin on dirt just degrades the trail and increases erosion.

Still disagree that a locker is a requirement for 99% of anything. On that note, TC wheel spin and lack of can be manipulated to great advantage with heel/toe braking on the D3 era; curious to know how it works with the new stuff?

A.J.M

Explorer
I’ll be having mine fitted with the rear locker when I’m in a position to do so.

We intend to keep it for a long time so will be speccing the 110 to exactly how we want it. Emma likely won’t off road it but I will.

Corgi_express

So are the Lucky8 rock sliders available yet? I have the 5'2" wife convinced that we need them to give her a step so she can get in and out of the new Defender easily.

They have been available for a while and are on their website for order.

DieselRanger

Still disagree that a locker is a requirement for 99% of anything. On that note, TC wheel spin and lack of can be manipulated to great advantage with heel/toe braking on the D3 era; curious to know how it works with the new stuff?
I agree with your disagreement on the absolute requirement for a rear locker. Took my D5 without a rear locker to the upper trailhead (no...the *upper* trailhead) in Yankee Boy Basin last weekend...in low range, on AT tires on 20" rims, without drama, and despite being stopped cold by other drivers in rental Jeeps who declined to yield the right of way on two occasions right when I was at the approach to an obstacle. But it is a diesel....

One ************** even said, "but there's two lanes!" *facepalm*

ChasingOurTrunks

New Lucky8 video

There's some tougher roads right next door to this one, this section is tame compared to some of the others.

Good video, thanks for sharing. I don't know the terrain in that area at all, but it would be neat to see how other vehicles do on that same trail in similar conditions.

Also, Lucky8 has used lift rods I believe? It seems that their Defender isn't as "planted and pliable" as others I've seen -- it actually looks quite bouncy and unsure at times. Hard to say as the video was edited with a lot of cuts, so I may be totally out to lunch. On another forum, there's a discussion about the lift rods being a disadvantage on the new Defenders and I'm wondering if that is in fact the case. I know the rods are necessary to get anything bigger than a big 32" in there, but I wonder if the extra height is worth the tradeoff in performance (if there is one).

Carson G

Good video, thanks for sharing. I don't know the terrain in that area at all, but it would be neat to see how other vehicles do on that same trail in similar conditions.

Also, Lucky8 has used lift rods I believe? It seems that their Defender isn't as "planted and pliable" as others I've seen -- it actually looks quite bouncy and unsure at times. Hard to say as the video was edited with a lot of cuts, so I may be totally out to lunch. On another forum, there's a discussion about the lift rods being a disadvantage on the new Defenders and I'm wondering if that is in fact the case. I know the rods are necessary to get anything bigger than a big 32" in there, but I wonder if the extra height is worth the tradeoff in performance (if there is one).
They’re planning strut spacers which will make it not as harsh. With the 2” lift plus off road height you’re going way beyond the design limits of the struts for normal operation. Struts spacers will kill some of your up travel but it’ll make the suspension more compliant. Like I’ve said before a subframe drop with strut spacers would be the best option.

JackW

Explorer
They have been available for a while and are on their website for order.
My understanding is that several people have placed orders but no one has actually received them yet. I took a close look at the sliders they built for the Trek Discovery 5 vehicles and they look very stout. I'm asking if they have an anticipated shipping date if I place an order this week.

morrisdl

Adventurer
They’re planning strut spacers which will make it not as harsh. With the 2” lift plus off road height you’re going way beyond the design limits of the struts for normal operation. Struts spacers will kill some of your up travel but it’ll make the suspension more compliant. Like I’ve said before a subframe drop with strut spacers would be the best option.

The +2" "harsh ride" of LR3/LR4 was not due to increased air pressure in the springs - that's a myth. In fact there is no more pressure in the raised strut, just more volume of air. You only get more air pressure when you add weight to the truck. The "harsh ride" is due to the new control arms geometry pointed towards the ground being not as easy to compress when lifted +2".

Maybe the Def2 will be different than all the other air sprung LandRovers, but that's also not how air strut spacers typically work. YES, the air strut limits the drop and upper limit range of motion. Adding the spacer would move the range of motion down 2" EXCEPT: the CVs and control arms still have design limitations and need to be prevented from exceeding original drop limits. This is why the air strut kits come with webbing limit straps. SO, with spacers you lose 2" of compression and gain something less than 2" of drop.

Thankfully Lucky8 is out there testing and breaking things to find these limits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles