Best Sub 100K Trailer available in USA Market (not Black Series)

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
I was really liking the features and price point of the Black Series until I started reading some mid to long-term reviews of their products. Lots of quality control issues, delays in getting parts and cutting corners. I'm now looking at Zone RV in AU, but would really prefer buying from a US company. The trailer needs to hold a family of four. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Boreas Campers

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
I was really liking the features and price point of the Black Series until I started reading some mid to long-term reviews of their products. Lots of quality control issues, delays in getting parts and cutting corners. I'm now looking at Zone RV in AU, but would really prefer buying from a US company. The trailer needs to hold a family of four. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Check out the Boreas XT12. Made in Colorado. Email me with questions. adam@boreascampers.com

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Opus 15 seems neat, not sure how they compare quality wise with the black series. I'd be interested in one if I had the budget.

Grassland

What are you towing with?
Where do you intend to take it?

I'd say get a fiberglass monocoque trailer then beef up the chassis and suspension.
There is a guy here did that to a resent model Casita.
My wife and I are buying an Escape 19 (15'8" living space), but depending on needs you could do a 17a/17b (13'8) for smaller footprint for better trail access.
You could try Oliver or Bigfoot as well.

We can't afford the yacht quality stuff like VMI makes in the stand up in size, and from what we have seen other than fiberglass monocoque type trailers, stuff that you can stand up and live in in the 20-50k range are pretty lacking in quality.

R-Pods and the clones, No-Bo etc are junk and are 20-28k in our part of Canada.
Stick built units that don't instantly fall apart tend to be too large and heavy for our use.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
What are you towing with?
Where do you intend to take it?

I'd say get a fiberglass monocoque trailer then beef up the chassis and suspension.
There is a guy here did that to a resent model Casita.
My wife and I are buying an Escape 19 (15'8" living space), but depending on needs you could do a 17a/17b (13'8) for smaller footprint for better trail access.
You could try Oliver or Bigfoot as well.

We can't afford the yacht quality stuff like VMI makes in the stand up in size, and from what we have seen other than fiberglass monocoque type trailers, stuff that you can stand up and live in in the 20-50k range are pretty lacking in quality.

R-Pods and the clones, No-Bo etc are junk and are 20-28k in our part of Canada.
Stick built units that don't instantly fall apart tend to be too large and heavy for our use.

Thank you!

TGK

An acquaintance of mine owns an Oliver Elite and I believe he is very happy with it. He's had it down quite a few miles of washboard and it's held up well. I believe the offer a factory lift for the trailer. Quality is top notch. However, they do weigh more than Casita's or other comparably sized fiberglass trailers. Also, as I've been inside his unit. I think it would be very very tight for a family of 4. While they are not cheap, I suspect you could get into a new one for well under 100K.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I'd do the Kimberly. We have been so close, but decided our Turtleback will work for us until our next kiddo. I think at that point the Kimberly is where we will go unless there is another competitor that arises. I love the hard sides, quick set up and my wife REALLY wants an indoor shower for those cold nights after hiking all day.

rehammer81

That Kimberley Karavan is definitely one of favorite designs. It pretty much checks all my boxes. I just want to see them stay stable in the US market.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

An acquaintance of mine owns an Oliver Elite and I believe he is very happy with it. He's had it down quite a few miles of washboard and it's held up well. I believe the offer a factory lift for the trailer. Quality is top notch. However, they do weigh more than Casita's or other comparably sized fiberglass trailers. Also, as I've been inside his unit. I think it would be very very tight for a family of 4. While they are not cheap, I suspect you could get into a new one for well under 100K.
Oliver does not offer a lift, and in speaking with Phil Andrews at Oliver, they are not a great choice for offroad (including forest service roads, gravel, etc.). Their suspensions are just not designed for that type of use.

It's a shame as IMHO, their quality is the best of the US brands. We were going to order an Elite II (we currently own a Casita), but the lack of off-road "chops" turned us away. We ordered a Kimberley instead.

TGK

Oliver does not offer a lift, and in speaking with Phil Andrews at Oliver, they are not a great choice for offroad (including forest service roads, gravel, etc.). Their suspensions are just not designed for that type of use.

It's a shame as IMHO, their quality is the best of the US brands. We were going to order an Elite II (we currently own a Casita), but the lack of off-road "chops" turned us away. We ordered a Kimberley instead.
Thanks for the clarification regarding the lift not being an option. Regarding performance on NFS roads, gravel/washsboard. My acquaintance has had his Oliver down some rather long stretches of what he called "old growth" washboard and it handled it like a champ. I suspect there are very very few commercially made trailers offering the standard amenities where the company will say off pavement is a good fit. Of course, most are absolutely the wrong choice and few can handle it as long as one goes in knowing their limitations. Which, of course, is what brings most all of us to these threads on ExpPortal.

canyonrider

Since Kimberley has been mentioned in this thread: can the classic "Karavan" sleep four people comfortably? Website and online brochure suggest that it can sleep two adults and two kids, but sleeping setup other than the permanent bed is unclear. Does the bench/dinette seating convert to two beds or a double bed? Anyone have dimensions?

Since Kimberley has been mentioned in this thread: can the classic "Karavan" sleep four people comfortably? Website and online brochure suggest that it can sleep two adults and two kids, but sleeping setup other than the permanent bed is unclear. Does the bench/dinette seating convert to two beds or a double bed? Anyone have dimensions?

I can't answer specifically, but here's a 3D/360 for your viewing pleasure: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=CoR6QbuRt9q
A brochure is also attached.

Attachments

• Kimberley-Kampers-Karavan-Handy-Brochure-2020.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 62

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles