Finally found a Venter trailer in the US!

DaveM

Explorer
Success! My obsessive nature paid off for once and I actually managed to find a US dealer for Kace Trailers in Half Moon Bay, CA, just 18 miles from my house! She had two trailers left including the one I was looking for.

Kace trailers are just rebranded Venter trailers out of South Africa, if you’re already familiar with them. I think these are similar to what Venter labels the Savuti or Elite trailers, depending on the specific model.

I had a specific set of requirements for the trailer I needed that were basically:
1) had to be less than 65” wide at the tires to fit into my backyard.
2) had to be enclosed and lockable with the ability to attach racks to the lid.
3) had to be lightweight.
4) and had to be under $5k (preferably under $3k).

There are almost no practical options in the US right now that meet those criteria. Everything is either astronomically expensive for what you get, or way over built for what I needed. The closest I could find were the Morris Mule (out of production) and the Space Trailer (great value, but too wide and has a weird lid).

The Venter’s hit a sweet spot for me at least and I’m surprised there aren't more of them in the US. These are not heavy duty expedition trailers, but for folks doing less rigorous backcountry camping who want a customizable trailer that will pull behind a smaller rig including crossovers, these seem perfect. Very excited to have actually found one as it seems like imports have stalled for now.

Below is the site (no affiliation). She has one trailer left, the smaller Gadabout. But it sounded like she may be looking at importing again if she can find enough interest. I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but I’m not connected in any way, just excited to have the trailer I wanted and hoping more of these can be brought in.

http://www.busyswithy.com/kace-carriers/

Will post updates on how the trailer is doing as I go along. Planning to add the aluminum roof rack (on order) and do a few other things like mount a Rotopax and add led lights for camp etc. It’s mostly just for stuff out gear into, but will try and make upgrades that make sense.

IMG_8839.jpeg
IMG_2535.jpeg
IMG_1618.jpeg
IMG_3054.jpeg

DaveM

Explorer
Awesome little trailer and I sgree with all your opinions about small trailers in North America. Here in Canada they are scarce too but some of our box stores have reasonable open trailers, the issue is no one makes a locking top.

That's exactly the kind of trailer I'd expected to find more of. With a decent hinged locking lid that's a perfect light camp gear hauler that could be easily customized. There are a ton of these in aluminum with lids and racks in Europe apparently, but none make it over here.

I know this an overlanding forum and these would fall apart in heavy expedition use, but there's a lot of folks out there just doing simple backcountry camping and exploring that these are great for. And the 'softroading' crowd (one of which I currently am) is growing rapidly. Hope to see more innovation in the small light camp trailer segment in the future.

billiebob

That's exactly the kind of trailer I'd expected to find more of. With a decent hinged locking lid that's a perfect light camp gear hauler that could be easily customized. There are a ton of these in aluminum with lids and racks in Europe apparently, but none make it over here.

I know this an overlanding forum and these would fall apart in heavy expedition use, but there's a lot of folks out there just doing simple backcountry camping and exploring that these are great for. And the 'softroading' crowd (one of which I currently am) is growing rapidly. Hope to see more innovation in the small light camp trailer segment in the future.
The trend in North America is for limited production trailers with some very cool expensive engineering recouped over a limited production run with prepaid deposits, all of which demand a high return to be profitable. I grew up with real cheap, bare bones, tent trailer rentals. If you lived in Alberta 50 years ago, think Otto Tent Trailers. EVERYONE rented them.

I'm sure that market exists today but the insane interest rates and 60 month loans mean anyone can over extend themselves and buy $50k expedition trailer. Although I think that market is about to collapse. We need the reset which might be here. We need realistic interest rates, we lending based on collateral rather than potential earnings.

Last edited:

billiebob

This came thru town today, looks like one of those Canadian Tire trailers with a plywood box. And cool graphics.
I figure this is the least expensive way to start overlanding.

DSCN2552.jpeg

DSCN2553.jpeg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Neat trailer.

We used to pull a cargo trailer behind our motorcycle sometimes. It was fiberglass and weighed almost nothing empty.
But there were aluminum trailers too. Always thought that the moto trailers might find some ExPo love.

DaveM

Explorer
Nice, is that the Trekker 6? How does it tow?

Yup, Trekker 6 from Kace. Original manufacturer is Venter. I think they call it the Savuti. It tows very nicely. On the way home from picking it up I was expecting it to bounce all over the place and rattle a bunch (like my old Harbor Freight boat trailer). Instead it was quiet and glued to the road. Something about the short tongue length I think. That's empty. I won't know how it tows loaded for a while.

Working on adding a battery and fuse box to the nose cone now. This will run the Dometic fridge in camp and power some LED light strips (one in the main compartment and couple under the body for ground lighting). Racks for the lid are on the way. Lid bag installed.

IMG_3664.jpeg
IMG_8505.jpeg

Darvil

I am looking for something just like this, however I'd like to be able to use the trailer occasionally for general utility use. Is there an easy way to remove the lid to allow taller loads?

DaveM

Explorer
I am looking for something just like this, however I'd like to be able to use the trailer occasionally for general utility use. Is there an easy way to remove the lid to allow taller loads?

I haven't done it, but the lid is just held on by 3 hinges, 2 bolts each. Plus a couple of gas struts to pop off. And it's pretty lightweight. Not sure I'd want to be taking on and off all the time, but it can be done.

The Space Trailer may be more what you are looking for. I think it was built with that kind if use in mind.

slvyj

Observer
Thanks for the feedback, glad you found someone selling them in the States. I checked out the website you provided and I got to admit, I was shocked by the low price. Its my experience stuff imported from South Africa doubles in price compared to what you buy it for in South Africa. Between the shipping cost, import taxes, need to conform to U.S. laws and profits most items are priced out of the market. Curious how she is able to import them and sell for such a low price.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My old Conqueror trailer was imported from South Africa as "parts" and assembled in Atlanta. Cut expenses hugely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles