Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
With the circuit board, you can coat with rattle can clear coating spray. Another option is to pot/encase it in hot melt glue (or epoxy if you feel the need). There are purpose made conformal coatings, but they typically are expensive for a one off job.

I have wondered if riveting a small spoiler to the top of the fan cover would produce enough downforce to prevent the rattling? Mine does it some, its much better since I moved my light bar a bit down.
I did coat at the circuit board with a conformal coating. I used a CRC polyurethane-based. The silicone was stupid expensive.

The spoiler is an interesting idea.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
I feel your pain I just replaced the hubs rotors and calipers all around on my kodiak along with seals and a couple bearings. The front rotors and hubs are one big piece of steel maybe 140#? Like you said big trucks have heavy stuff. Plus bolts to tighten to 330 lbft and lugs above 400... definitely feel it at the end of the day!

quickfarms

Adventurer
On my Ford trucks you align the steering wheel by pulling it off and rotating it, this is per the Ford service manual. It tends to take a couple of try’s to get it right.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
There is this mystical line, somewhere between 10,000lb and 15,000lb gross, where truck parts just get big, heavy, and harder to work on. I do not envy the hard work you've put in.

java

Expedition Leader
On my Ford trucks you align the steering wheel by pulling it off and rotating it, this is per the Ford service manual. It tends to take a couple of try’s to get it right.
These have an adjuster on the drag link.

ExpoMike

Yeah, I have read a number of people having issues with boards on MaxxFans. Seems like they should make them a little more water resistant. I'll likely go with a Fantastic Fan (now Dometic) like we had in our FWC. Really like some of the features MaxxFan has but I don't want to deal with these types of problems.

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I have read a number of people having issues with boards on MaxxFans. Seems like they should make them a little more water resistant. I'll likely go with a Fantastic Fan (now Dometic) like we had in our FWC. Really like some of the features MaxxFan has but I don't want to deal with these types of problems.

Yeah its the cold weather use. I think it condenses a bit. FWIW maxxfan customer service is fantastic. They have replaced the board, and one fan completely for me at no cost.

For me the trade off is worth the wet weather protection of the maxxfan. I run mine almost 100% of the time we are using the truck. Rain, snow, etc

ExpoMike

Yeah its the cold weather use. I think it condenses a bit. FWIW maxxfan customer service is fantastic. They have replaced the board, and one fan completely for me at no cost.

For me the trade off is worth the wet weather protection of the maxxfan. I run mine almost 100% of the time we are using the truck. Rain, snow, etc

Definitely having the ability to run while it's raining is nice. At the same time, customer service is great except when it fails and you're out on a trip. Luckily our trips don't frequently include rain/snow but it is something to consider.

danneskjold

The Maxxair is such a leap ahead of the Dometic fan I would probably rather have a broken Maxxair than a working Dometic.

java

Expedition Leader
Definitely having the ability to run while it's raining is nice. At the same time, customer service is great except when it fails and you're out on a trip. Luckily our trips don't frequently include rain/snow but it is something to consider.
This is true, but I the failures I have had have not left me with a hole in the roof yet. That's my main concern. I probably could have put this one back on the lifting arms etc, but I didn't feel like screwing around with it for 10 minutes. I needed to get home at that point.

Srpat

Observer
I'm giving myself a headache on the centramatic website. Which ones did you get? And more importantly, did they have any effect on your steering wheel shaking?

java

Expedition Leader
Started 70 front 90 rear (LR was higher starting also)
50424042107_be345cf926_b.jpg

Temps in C. The extra two sensors are in the back, so kinda ambient. I am surprised they were so different. All started at 27 before driving.
50423176578_08f9e7ea55_b.jpg

What surprised me was the higher pressure rear tire was also higher temp. FWIW 28C = 82.4F

Just screw on doohickies.
50423873481_d5104791ec_b.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
I'm giving myself a headache on the centramatic website. Which ones did you get? And more importantly, did they have any effect on your steering wheel shaking?

Call them, they are super helpful. Mine are rear ones for the 450 due to my wheels being singles.

No shake at all, but I swear I can hear them in turns.

With a starting pressure of 90 psi, a heat related rise of 1 psi = temp rise of ~2.5C. So 16 psi corresponds to gain of 40C, IOW tire temperature of 65C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles