What would you go for? A 60 or a 100 series?

CPT

Hi all,
I am new on this forum, I have been reading the various forums for a couple of years while looking after a decent Landcruiser..

Now I am in a position where, after long time searching, I have both a nice hj61 and a nice VX100 1HD-FTE on hand.. the two vehicles prices are basically the same, but the 60 will be a lot cheaper in roadtax due to it being a classic car.

I will use the car for my family of 4 on 1-2 week backroad trips in Norway, Sweden and Iceland (a trip will most likely be 2-3000km). What would be your choice between these two and why?

Also one concern I have related to the 60 is the lack of headrests in the rear seats.. anyone who have retrofitted rear headrests to a classic rig? Also I am not sure if the rear seat in the 60 can be folded down? (I will make a sleeping platform inside the car for the kids, so the rear seat needs to be foldable)

CPT

Hi all,
I am new on this forum, I have been reading the various forums for a couple of years while looking after a decent Landcruiser..

Now I am in a position where, after long time searching, I have both a nice hj61 and a nice VX100 1HD-FTE on hand.. the two vehicles prices are basically the same, but the 60 will be a lot cheaper in roadtax due to it being a classic car.

I will use the car for my family of 4 on 1-2 week backroad trips in Norway, Sweden and Iceland (a trip will most likely be 2-3000km). What would be your choice between these two and why?

Also one concern I have related to the 60 is the lack of headrests in the rear seats.. anyone who have retrofitted rear headrests to a classic rig? Also I am not sure if the rear seat in the 60 can be folded down? (I will make a sleeping platform inside the car for the kids, so the rear seat needs to be foldable)
Oh just to put the price difference in perspective, the 60 will cost 2000$ less in roadtax each year (I know... I live in a crazy country when it comes to taxes :eek::rolleyes:)

1Goat

There is no doubt that if go for the 100 or 105 series.
The 60 is around 30 years old and was prone to develop rust pretty easily.
The 80 series would be a far closer comparison to the 100.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

CPT

There is no doubt that if go for the 100 or 105 series.
The 60 is around 30 years old and was prone to develop rust pretty easily.
The 80 series would be a far closer comparison to the 100.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I do realise the huge difference in the two models. The reason I am comparing them is that I need to choose between classic car road tax of 1000$ a year (for a 60 series) or normal car road tax of 3000$ a year (on a 100 series) - the 80 series is completely out of the picture as it has a roadtax of 4000$ a year...

The 60 I have available locally is an import from Spain, it is completely rust free and have 380.000km on the hj61 motor.
The 100 series is also rustfree from 2006 and has 500.000km on the motor.

I know it would be nice to save 2000$ a year by getting the 60, but the real question is do you know of anyone who use such old vehicles on overland trips with success and without constant roadside repairs?

CPT

I like leafsprings and oldschool in general, would go for HJ61.
Does it have 12HT motor and high roof ? Locking ’diffs ?
Yes I believe it is a 12HT (it has the two intake pipes running across the top of the motor), low roof and not sure how many locks - I have only seen pictures of it so far as it is quite a drive away.

Izzy1

Izzy
I would recommend 100, specially since going out with family the added potential reliability will be worth it. 60s do look very cool though, and can be made reliable. But the 100 has a much larger engine, and modern suspension that will be an advantage both on and off road. Also the larger engine, more capability for electric power as you need it.

Understand road tax will be a few thousand more, but to put it in perspective, in the US a family of 4 can be paying $15-20K in healthcare insurance! And maybe $300 in "road tax"

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Having owned a restored NA Spec 60 (2f) now for 15 years and putting 10's of thousands off road miles on it and keeping the old thing running and emission compliant, plus annual property taxes and insurance I'd transition to a newer model if the option presented itself. Not because I don't love the 60, because when it comes time to loading it up and traveling long distances its nice to have power and comfort versus cool factor. Good luck

15B645CC-F012-4362-8F2C-DC9125073085.jpeg

CPT

I would recommend 100, specially since going out with family the added potential reliability will be worth it. 60s do look very cool though, and can be made reliable. But the 100 has a much larger engine, and modern suspension that will be an advantage both on and off road. Also the larger engine, more capability for electric power as you need it.

Understand road tax will be a few thousand more, but to put it in perspective, in the US a family of 4 can be paying $15-20K in healthcare insurance! And maybe $300 in "road tax"
I hear you, and the 100 will probably make it easier to convince the family to go on trips with its creature comforts :)

You are right regarding health insurance, but do you also pay 50% income tax like us on top of that?

CPT

Having owned a restored NA Spec 60 (2f) now for 15 years and putting 10's of thousands off road miles on it and keeping the old thing running and emission compliant, plus annual property taxes and insurance I'd transition to a newer model if the option presented itself. Not because I don't love the 60, because when it comes time to loading it up and traveling long distances its nice to have power and comfort versus cool factor. Good luck

View attachment 614121
What a nice rig! What is the best cruising speed you can hold with comfort on the highway?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
What a nice rig! What is the best cruising speed you can hold with comfort on the highway?

It has few goodies in the drive train, new H55 trans (5spd), 4.56 gears/ARB lockers front and rear but, when fully kitted the oem 2f will cruise on the flatlands (Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc.....) at approx. 60 mph. Get into the mountain states and doing mountain passes your down to second gear at 15- 20 mph uphill, semis are passing you.....I certainly could do the V8 swap, cummins swap, etc.....for more umph and speed, but that's part of the stay or go decision. Right now we are keeping the 60 as our company truck for local events.
The old goat does wheel well thou....
E8D5C7BE-2999-4854-B802-C0F74E6AF59C.jpeg

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Ummm... 60. With 105 chassis and running gear.... :p

If that's not a possibility I'd have to go 100. I daily drove an 80 and it wasn't great. I'm sure a 100 series would have been worlds better.

CPT

Sadly we didn't get the 105 here, I was under the impression that only the Aussies got that model? I may just add that the only LC I have driven for a longer trip before was an old 90 series with Artic trucks gear on Iceland for 14 days.. I loved that truck eventhough it was not particularly fast :D

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Sadly we didn't get the 105 here, I was under the impression that only the Aussies got that model? I may just add that the only LC I have driven for a longer trip before was an old 90 series with Artic trucks gear on Iceland for 14 days.. I loved that truck eventhough it was not particularly fast :D
They never offered the 105 here either. Just would be nice to have 105 running gear under a 60 if I could.....

hayde89

I like leafsprings and oldschool in general, would go for HJ61.
Does it have 12HT motor and high roof ? Locking ’diffs ?
If it's an HJ61 that means it has a 12ht.

To answer the question I would go with the 100. Having owned 2 100 series and now an HJ61 is where I am pulling this wisdom from. While I love love love my hj61 it's fun to drive I would never own it as my only vehicle. Mine is a garage princess. I take it on trips but being honest the leaf springs do beat you up. You will be sore after a long drive. I recently completed a 200 mile off-road trip in my 61 with a buddy in a 100. The difference was that after our trip he didn't have any fatigue. Not to mention the hj61 will bee harder to find parts. The 12ht was only used in the 61 so parts are not readily available like 100 series parts.

Izzy1

Izzy
I hear you, and the 100 will probably make it easier to convince the family to go on trips with its creature comforts :)

You are right regarding health insurance, but do you also pay 50% income tax like us on top of that?
And spares, a lot easier to find for a 100 than a 60. The downside of the 100 is the timing belt, must be changed at 90K miles and can be expensive done by a pro shop. But the power, heating and AC system, comfort, and capability can quickly make 100 top a 60 or 62.

Good god no, not that much. A person employed by a firm and making, say $115K with a family of 4, would pay $18K or so in healthcare premium for the plan that would cover the most, and have a $5K deductible. Depending on the state, you may have another 6-8% state income tax and 33% federal taxes (income, medicaire, social security). But nowhere near 50%.

Ps, don't do the math, we don't do math here, its not allowed plus many of us really don't know how.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles