Freeze dried hash browns - who else likes them?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
It is not the potatoes but what they cover them in. It is scary how much stuff has extras added. Cheese slices are coated in flour. Wine gums have potato added. Hot dogs have milk added.

Getting to the point that you cannot eat anything without reading the ingredients.
George Carlin the philosopher said worrying about something is worse than doing it. My dad had the same philosophy.
They were both right.

jeepers29

That ride was in June, early season and before all the craziness and bans. It was also a LNT fire. Cheers.

Dinner Fire:
View attachment 608680

After dinner fire with cigar and bourbon:
View attachment 608681

Campsite LNT Clean-up next morning:
View attachment 608682

Leave No Trace (LNT) firepit next morning:
View attachment 608683
Well done. It is getting harder and harder to be able to have a campfire in the west. By the way, you can cook steak for me anytime. LOL

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Well done. It is getting harder and harder to be able to have a campfire in the west. By the way, you can cook steak for me anytime. LOL

So true. Colorado is getting the same way. I'm constantly sadden as I get further and further into the back country of Colorado how much trash and destruction I find. While you cant fix stupid and can only do so much cleaning up after others, I simply try to keep my site tight. Cheers on the that steak!

Fishenough

Creeper
So true. Colorado is getting the same way. I'm constantly sadden as I get further and further into the back country of Colorado how much trash and destruction I find. While you cant fix stupid and can only do so much cleaning up after others, I simply try to keep my site tight. Cheers on the that steak!
Inspiring idea to take a before and after pictures!

This year with all the hot spotting and staycations, we have found many nasty camp fire remains in the alpine on Vancouver Island. Fires pits with burnt garbage left behind and no attempt at building a fire ring despite endless rocks being available to do so. And in Van Isle's Starthcona Park no open fires are allowed. It's quite disgusting in some of the more popular areas. We've been packing up the burnt out garbage left behind, but if before and after pictures motivate a single backcountry numb skull to do the same, success.

Picture from Century Sam lake, a crazy busy spot locals call Instagram lake. Stupid busy on weekends, estimates of 150 vehicles early this month on a Saturday, but located up a gated logging road open only on weekends. I'd never seen open fire remains until 3 years ago, now there are almost a dozen fire spot remains. We hike it several times a year but only during weekdays.
96e6fa55458556044e576f2759347e04.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Fishenough

Creeper
Breakfast scramble; freeze dried hash b's crisped in Ghee, then add a couple scrambled eggs, little pre made veggies and cooked bacon vacuum sealed before all blended in, then a few chucks of some premium Gouda and squished croissants.
bb6034de6fe98acc5cd6f312ef0d0baf.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
Since we haven't left the house in months we are going through the camping food so it does not expire. Although the freeze dried hash browns won't anyway, we decided to have some for breakfast at the house. What is the best way to get them to form a 'cake' rather than be loose when cooked in a pan?

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Since we haven't left the house in months we are going through the camping food so it does not expire. Although the freeze dried hash browns won't anyway, we decided to have some for breakfast at the house. What is the best way to get them to form a 'cake' rather than be loose when cooked in a pan?

I have never formed a cake with mine. I always stir quite often when cooking them. Stir, flip, agitate - pick a word.

I also add diced onion and a lot of times a diced meat (bacon, leftover ribs, etc.) - but that doesn't really answer your question. ;)

Fishenough

Creeper
For one dinner took half a box rehydrated hash from the morning, mixed it with an egg, scoop of bisquick, salt and pepper, butter, and left over fresh crab meat from lunch. Made a different but delicious crab cake.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
You can't really form a cake, but what I do is layer them in the pan - onions and peppers first into hot avocado oil, then a layer of hash browns, now cheese, peppers and onions and another layer of hash browns. Liberal salt and pepper Finish off with onions and peppers and cheese, with dots of butter spread around. Cover it and let it cook on low about ten minutes or so. If you are good at flipping food in a pan, then after the ten minutes, flip it and let it brown on the other side. If you get it right, it is a large disk of deliciousness, all crispy on the outside and creamy soft on the inside. Over medium eggs broken over the top, a couple of pounds of bacon on the side and you've got a breakfast that will last.

Having said that, I've tried mixing them up in a bowl with all of the above plus some raw egg and potato pancake mix and a bit of milk to make sort of a batter. Spoon into a skillet and cook like regular pancakes. Serve with sour cream.

2.ooohhh

go by a restaurant supply store and find yourself an egg ring or two. we use them to make the eggs and hash brown cakes to fit on a breakfast sandwich work great take very little space in the kit.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I add plenty of butter and don't stir after the initial browning then when the bottom of the pan browns (takes a little while) I put a paper plate over them like a lid then turn the pan, potatoes and paper plate over and slide them back into pan to brown the bottom. Easy peasy actually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles