How tf do I replace the O2 sensor on a 100-series with DT headers?

jdlobb

Adventurer
My '98 cruiser threw a code a while ago for a bad O2 sensor. I bought the part, and went to replace the bad sensor....only to discover that because a previous owner installed fancy Doug Thorley headers....the f-in O2 sensor is danged near impossible to access.

Is there any way to get this thing out with like....dropping the entire exhaust system?

Shop wanted $900 to replace the sensor. Nine. Hundred. Dollars.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Location picture? I’m not a toyota guy but staring down a $900 sensor swap would have me seriously contemplating cutting an access panel into the floor.

My '98 cruiser threw a code a while ago for a bad O2 sensor. I bought the part, and went to replace the bad sensor....only to discover that because a previous owner installed fancy Doug Thorley headers....the f-in O2 sensor is danged near impossible to access.

Is there any way to get this thing out with like....dropping the entire exhaust system?

Shop wanted $900 to replace the sensor. Nine. Hundred. Dollars.
You might get a little stronger response on ih8mud.com. Several folks over there running DT headers on 100 series cruisers.

Sloth Cruiser

Second the advice to check out MUD. You will get the info you need. Chances are someone has a trick that will allow you to change it without any modificaitons.

Do you have an o2 sensor socket? They make it insanely easy to change the 02 sensor. My 100 has stock headers, but it took maybe 15 minutes to change all 4 of my o2 sensors. Very easy.

alia176

Explorer
I have DT header on the 4.7 in the 4runner and I bet the orientation of the O2 sensor is f'ed beyond recognition. DT put the O2 bung in the stupidest place on my header, thus making a simple O2 swap be a royal PITA. IIRC, the driver O2 sensor is the PITA now. I sooooo wanted to ********** slap the DT engineer who came up with the orientation.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles