Help me pick a Toyota platform? Trying to decide amongst: LX/LC/GX/4R/Taco

arctic04trd

4 door trucks are overrated. Bed space is way better.

Why not both......

Dont tell me they arent capable. Ive wheeled my DCLB with land rovers and jeeps on 35s. Just takes longer, what with tire placement and several attempts. Plenty of capability for the hardest camp sites.

Not really interested in a Tundra. Size is already a concern and if I want a pickup, the Taco is more than enough.

2nd gen taco and 1st gen tundra access cab are near identical size. There is a thread on that somewhere on here. Plus bigger fuel tank and more power. They are so under rated.

beef tits

Why not both......

Dont tell me they arent capable. Ive wheeled my DCLB with land rovers and jeeps on 35s. Just takes longer, what with tire placement and several attempts. Plenty of capability for the hardest camp sites.

Wasn’t dissing them for lack of capability. It’s the lack of functionality as an actual truck... anything less than an 8’ bed is just a glorified SUV marketed to soccer moms and suburban Dads.

As for capability, you might keep up with modded Jeeps here and there but on truly difficult trails with any real obstacles, you won’t keep up with them at all. The wheelbase, weight and lack of solid axles is actually pretty limiting past a certain point. You can’t have it all...

Last edited:

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Holy crap, is the GX the new 4runner now? I swear everyone and their moms is buying one. Even the instafluencers are all of a sudden abandoning their 4runner and becoming overnight 460 gurus screaming Prado this and Prado that....

amongmany

Holy crap, is the GX the new 4runner now? I swear everyone and their moms is buying one. Even the instafluencers are all of a sudden abandoning their 4runner and becoming overnight 460 gurus screaming Prado this and Prado that....

Yeah, I got it because I had an overwhelming need to conform. ?

Tex68w

Beach Bum

It's a fancier 4Runner with a better drivetrain, what's not to love? A better version of the already extremely popular 5th Gen 4Runner. Don't worry, they won't be making them anymore in a few years, it'll be replaced with something else and the new Bronco revolution is soon to take off so you can complain about the popularity of those soon too.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
It's a fancier 4Runner with a better drivetrain, what's not to love? A better version of the already extremely popular 5th Gen 4Runner. Don't worry, they won't be making them anymore in a few years, it'll be replaced with something else and the new Bronco revolution is soon to take off so you can complain about the popularity of those soon too.

But it's always been a fancier 4Runner with a better drivetrain right?? At least ever since the 95 Prado and 185 Surf (3rd gen 4runner) melded into the 120 platform (470/4th gen 4runner)

You miss my point; a dig at the soaring popularity of the GX460 is hardly a complaint. It's not like it's a brand new addition to the Toyota trimline that in the past year has come to symbolize the poor man's baby Jesus.

I feel like we've been here before on the question of will it stay, will it go away and frankly I believe it will stay. Money talks and as long as the numbers continue to line up, let's face it, they will be built to meet the need no matter who's pulling strings masquerading as a climate change believer or non-believer. Might Toyota introduce more efficient engines like the 2.8l diesel in order to drive the market in that direction like they have done outside of North America? Certainly but you and I can both agree there will be that clamor for, bring back the V8, oh I miss the V8.

There will be no Bronco revolution because Toyota will continue to own the North American market. Unlike your Big Three, Toyota's focus has always been sacrificing the short term for the long term, case in point, the 460 is a ten year old platform nearly indistinguishable from one year to the next. Sure a tweak here and a tweak there but remarkably unchanged because the formula works. Tried and true quality will always outmatch flavor of the day shenanigans. Will there be a place for the Bronco, yes. Behind the next generation Toyota SUV lineup.

• Haha
Reactions: bkg

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Uhh, own it, how?

The new Bronco is what Toyota should’ve put out with the FJ. Which is why it failed. I harped on it for years. It could’ve been such a cool vehicle.

The FJ was a great revamp that I feel lost out in the later years to the 4Runner and to an extent gas prices when the downturn hit. It was definitely a niche vehicle whereas the 4Runner has maintained broader appeal throughout its existence. This made it easier for in the market shoppers to gravitate to the 4Runner too even as gas prices were bad.

Do I anticipate Toyota will work to throw out a Bronco buster or reintroduce the FJ given the success of the 4Runner and GX? Probably not; hell if anything you'll get some awesome new color 4Runner labeled with some ridiculous offroad moniker ( I nominate TRD ProVerlander or something). The Bronco looks cool but it too is going after a niche and even if it doesn't succumb to gas prices or that pandemic that must not be named, do I expect die hard 4Runner, GX or Wrangler fans to jump ship en mass, definitely not. I do wish Ford success on the revamp but at the end of the day I don't see a disturbance in the force with this one.

I'm also grateful to Ford for not taking my tax money ;):ROFLMAO:

phsycle

Adventurer
The FJ was a great revamp that I feel lost out in the later years to the 4Runner and to an extent gas prices when the downturn hit. It was definitely a niche vehicle whereas the 4Runner has maintained broader appeal throughout its existence. This made it easier for in the market shoppers to gravitate to the 4Runner too even as gas prices were bad.

Do I anticipate Toyota will work to throw out a Bronco buster or reintroduce the FJ given the success of the 4Runner and GX? Probably not; hell if anything you'll get some awesome new color 4Runner labeled with some ridiculous offroad moniker ( I nominate TRD ProVerlander or something). The Bronco looks cool but it too is going after a niche and even if it doesn't succumb to gas prices or that pandemic that must not be named, do I expect die hard 4Runner, GX or Wrangler fans to jump ship en mass, definitely not. I do wish Ford success on the revamp but at the end of the day I don't see a disturbance in the force with this one.

I'm also grateful to Ford for not taking my tax money ;):ROFLMAO:

My comment was more geared towards how you see Toyota dominating the NA market. Definitely not overall. Definitely not full size. Midsize market, Jeep is right there with Toyota. Gladiator sure hasn’t panned out like Jeep thought though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles