7.3 question

jgallo1

Adventurer
I have a chance to buy a one owner 2002 f250 7.3.
It has 170k. Oil has been changed every 3-4k. He rebuilt the front end at 150k. New glow plugs, new water pump and serpentine belt.
All work has been done at a local ford dealer. It started to weep some oil, he had all seals replaced 10k ago. He is a family friend.
Seems like a good buy. Curious what the thoughts are?
Thanks

twodollars

I think they are a decent motor, but demand has pushed the price higher and higher. You'd think they were cast out of gold. So if you really want one, and it's a good price, go for it. Better than the following ford diesels for a few generations.

punisher29073

I had a 2000 that i passed to my son a few months ago. I had 240000 mi on it and just drove it cross country towing our ATVs this summer. There are mods that I would suggest but that sounds like a great deal.

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have a chance to buy a one owner 2002 f250 7.3.
It has 170k. Oil has been changed every 3-4k. He rebuilt the front end at 150k. New glow plugs, new water pump and serpentine belt.
All work has been done at a local ford dealer. It started to weep some oil, he had all seals replaced 10k ago. He is a family friend.
Seems like a good buy. Curious what the thoughts are?
Thanks
Pics and price? Unless I'm missing it, I did not see a price given so it's tough to say....

I would plan on dumping a few thousand into it. Mostly suspension refresh and fixing any issues it has. If it’s a fair price, the vehicle meets your needs, and you’re familiar with it’s weaknesses and can live with them; I would go for it. Why does he want to part with it?

glock7018

As a 7.3 owner, these trucks are not worth much over 10K once they break that 150K threshold. In then end of the day you are still buying a almost 20 year old truck. Lower mileage helps some, but age plays a big part with things wearing out. Anything that has rubber in it is going to start to dry rot. Bits of plastic are going to become brittle. Dont get me wrong, I love these trucks, but people spending big money on these things are silly. The market is starting to see this and the prices are starting to fall. in the southwest you can get decent 7.3 trucks all day long for 10k or less. I tend not to get caught up at the mileage of them, but the overall condition of the truck. Mechanical parts can be replaced easily. A trashed interior, or bedsides cannot.

phsycle

Adventurer
As a 7.3 owner, these trucks are not worth much over 10K once they break that 150K threshold. In then end of the day you are still buying a almost 20 year old truck. Lower mileage helps some, but age plays a big part with things wearing out. Anything that has rubber in it is going to start to dry rot. Bits of plastic are going to become brittle. Dont get me wrong, I love these trucks, but people spending big money on these things are silly. The market is starting to see this and the prices are starting to fall. in the southwest you can get decent 7.3 trucks all day long for 10k or less. I tend not to get caught up at the mileage of them, but the overall condition of the truck. Mechanical parts can be replaced easily. A trashed interior, or bedsides cannot.

Every time I fantasize about fixing up an old truck to drive around, I remind myself of exactly that. No matter the make or model, time has no favoritism.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I would plan on dumping a few thousand into it. Mostly suspension refresh and fixing any issues it has. If it’s a fair price, the vehicle meets your needs, and you’re familiar with it’s weaknesses and can live with them; I would go for it. Why does he want to part with it?
I factored that into my budget.
the truck is from a family friend . So I know is history. The front end has been completely rebuilt, all seals replaced, glow plugs, belts , water pump.
it’s a good deal.

F350joe

You could rebuilt a 7.3 10 times and still not have as much into as a new diesel. You will have better reliability with the 7.3 and won’t have to think twice about Baja diesel or that backwoods gas station with old diesel and water at the bottom of the tank, 7.3 don’t care.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
These trucks have trannies that last about 150000 miles. Especially if they’ve been used to tow or push snow. Our 2001 f350 tranny lasted til 200000 miles, but died in Missouri three states away from our house. But, they have a HD version now that will outlast the truck.

jgallo1

Adventurer
You could rebuilt a 7.3 10 times and still not have as much into as a new diesel. You will have better reliability with the 7.3 and won’t have to think twice about Baja diesel or that backwoods gas station with old diesel and water at the bottom of the tank, 7.3 don’t care.
well said

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles