2020 Power Wagon JUXI Build and Trip Thread

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
That not accurate,everything about the pw is the same as a 3/4 ton except some suspension parts (and lockers ,swaybar dico).it has almost nothing in common with a 1/2 ton.Tow rating is still higher then most 3/4 ton trucks from the 80s and 90s

Who cares about 80s and 90s trucks. Are you serious? My wife's Grand Cherokee has more payload and towing capacity than an 80s pickup truck. Does that make it a 3/4 ton also?

Did you read my comment? 1/2 ton capacity on a 3/4 ton chassis. There is no reasonable way for you to use actual capacity data to dispute that.

jadmt

ignore button user
Like above, you are overloaded significantly. The chassis is up to it but my bet is you have added tools to deal with that weight.

The stock PW is a 1/2 ton capacity truck built on a 3/4 ton chassis. There's really no way to dispute that.Tons of stock PWs have payloads of barely over 1200#.
heck my buddy's F150 has a better payload than mine and mine is 1565lb according to the door sticker. I am amazed at how low some of them are.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
heck my buddy's F150 has a better payload than mine and mine is 1565lb according to the door sticker. I am amazed at how low some of them are.

Exactly. 1/2 ton capacity on a 3/4 ton chassis.

That's not a bad thing. I will be trading my 3500 for one in the fall when we move from a 5th wheel to a Diesel Pusher so I haven beef with the PW. I just realize the reality of what it is..

Oilbrnr

Yup, physics are a **********. You want load capacity or do you want articulation. Pick one.

I cheat a bit with airbags in cradles in the rear and Thuren front springs, but I'm under the GVWR of an equivalent 6.4, 2500HD, 4x, crew cab, level1 trim... (which I think is 12-13k)

And no way in hell would I roll on C's.

Last edited:

BuckinghamBuilt

Not sure why folks are saying they would not run tires with a D load rating as that's what comes equipped on my 2020 Power Wagon. If you're running a payload that requires an E load rating I suspect that you're over your max payload limit which is no high for the PW.

phsycle

Adventurer
RE: Load Range. Remember the load capacity listed is at MAX psi. I know most of you aren’t running max psi. Furthermore, when offroad, you’re airing down, sometimes into the teens. That drastically reduces the load capacity.

Plus, I like the way the LR E’s feel when loaded down. More stable. Stronger sidewalks. I’ll stick with E’s, personally.

Sorry to the OP for going off topic.

warwickscout

Observer
Who cares about 80s and 90s trucks. Are you serious? My wife's Grand Cherokee has more payload and towing capacity than an 80s pickup truck. Does that make it a 3/4 ton also?

Did you read my comment? 1/2 ton capacity on a 3/4 ton chassis. There is no reasonable way for you to use actual capacity data to dispute that.
Yup read your comment twice now.Did you read mine, more in common with a 3/4 then a 1/2 ton. There is no reasonable way for you to use actual parts #s to dispute that. Am very rarely to serious about much:D

jupp0r

My family and I went to Coyote Flats over the long weekend. We camped at Funnel Lake which is really nice but a little unsuited as a base camp spot because the road there is 40 minutes of pretty rough driving, which we had to do twice a day if we wanted to explore the area. There were some tight spots and some large rock that required careful tire placement. I would have been more comfortable with sliders, but they weren’t ready yet before we left. I’ll go pick them up on Saturday and install them.

3ee221e5563abbdc5aa2598523209f67.jpg

On Friday afternoon we were the only people camped at Funnel Lake. It became much more crowded on Saturday.

6985a90387a373ec5805c00a0a641af1.jpg

Campsite looking in the other direction.

178deaacd2a4a82044d747545329f311.jpg

On the flats.

69b317d937e63e52273d9127fa7e41b4.jpg

On the way to Baker creek, we had spectacular views if the North Palisade Range.

79b60c03a44a241aacdbf56078df45c5.jpg

Trail on Sanger Meadow.

8090838373ee1c05df2d7bc65eb66e71.jpg

Ponderosa Pines.

dbc34b2e758dba0e2e39325cce769fc9.jpg

Campsite again.

9c56785a00591534a6609e6098a97aed.jpg

Smoke from the Creek Fire on the west side of the Sierras moved in on Sunday. This is at Green Lake overlook. The road there had a steep sandy hill were I had to use both lockers and some momentum to get up (and not use the bypass ;) ).

fa4d7b79840a4d0cd5231ab26f6fdca9.jpg

View from the summit of Vagabond peak, which I climbed with my daughter.

f803f15bfed38a2bac90c43c65381a21.jpg

Our tent broke in wind gusts while we were gone, I fixed it with a piece of pipe from my bottle jack and a bunch of duct tape.

What went well:

- 37s did not rub on the trails, even fully articulated. The additional ground clearance came in handy I’m sure. I’m running 45 psi all around on the road and 20 on the trails. I could have gone much lower probably, but there were some passages where I could go 30mph and I wouldn’t want to do that with 15psi or so.

- Spare tire in bed worked ok for a long weekend trip, enough space for all our gear and 5 bundles of firewood

- Carli Front diff guard got a couple of scrapes that might have saved me from leaking diff oil

- In general JUXI performed really well

- OnX Offroad App worked well for navigating

- Coyote Flats is an amazing area to explore, we’ll definitely be back.

What didn’t go so well:

- Sliders would have been nice just for the peace of mind, I was worried about rocker panel damage in a couple of spots. I’ll go pick them up in Apple Valley next weekend though.

- I can see why people run Thuren suspension packages. The bouncing while crawling over rocks was pretty annoying. With the camper shell, the Decked system, the larger spare tire and a lot of other gear we might be over the weight limit as well. I’ll need to drive over scales at some point to see what front and back axle weight is. The 250lbs of rock sliders coming next weekend won’t make that better either.

- The tent is pretty much trashed at this point. I bought it last black Friday for $80, so it’s not the end of the world as we probably slept 6 weeks in there in the last year. Roof top tent plans are forming (yet more weight).

- Camping at Funnel lake was nice, but there are more central camp sites we could have used for exploring the area. The trail to Funnel Lake is a little too long and rough to drive twice every day.

- We should have taken more pics from the harder parts of the trails.

phsycle

Adventurer
37’s look right on PW’s. Nice.

Tents: RTT’s will flap in the wind as well.

We bought a canvas tent. No flap and super sturdy, even camped with gusts at over 50. Enough room to stand, as long as you’re under 6’6”. Heavier than a tent like yours but lighter than an RTT.

jupp0r

37’s look right on PW’s. Nice.

Tents: RTT’s will flap in the wind as well.

We bought a canvas tent. No flap and super sturdy, even camped with gusts at over 50. Enough room to stand, as long as you’re under 6’6”. Heavier than a tent like yours but lighter than an RTT.

Thanks for the canvas tent link. We are still debating what to do. We have really amazing backpacking tents we can use in the meantime (Hilleberg Jannu and Keron 3 GT) that are definitely stormproof but too nice to be worn down by car camping trips (and abuse by 6 and 1 year olds ;) ). An RTT would allow us to be more flexible and set up/break down camp faster. We have done mostly base camp style camping so far since we had kids, but for the trips we have lined up it might be nicer to be more flexible and camp somewhere different every night. I’ll definitely look at where the truck is at weight wise though.

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

The Power Wagon is an amazing off-road weapon stock, and with a couple of add-ons a very tough hombre! I let my '11 go (Carli Armor, 35s, Aluminess bumper, etc.) due to the abysmal fuel mileage when loaded ad towing a mid-sized trailer[4.5 mpg]).

I would consider buying another if they made it into an SUV, found a way to shoehorn a diesel in it--or just buy a gas station ?

I am curious: what mileage on the highway and at what speed are you achieving?

jupp0r

The Power Wagon is an amazing off-road weapon stock, and with a couple of add-ons a very tough hombre! I let my '11 go (Carli Armor, 35s, Aluminess bumper, etc.) due to the abysmal fuel mileage when loaded ad towing a mid-sized trailer[4.5 mpg]).

I would consider buying another if they made it into an SUV, found a way to shoehorn a diesel in it--or just buy a gas station

I’m getting around 14-15 highway mpgs with the 37s, going mostly 80ish. Not much different than the stock 33s.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

I would consider buying another if they made it into an SUV, found a way to shoehorn a diesel in it--or just buy a gas station ?

When you say mid sized trailer, what kind of trailer are you referring to? I tow a 23' - 3900 lbs (dry) holiday trailer that in my mind I would say is mid sized...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles