Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I understand the need for the lines I just would want more of a compact space if used for tailgating. I like what was suggested about the poles connected to the bumper. Then the lines could be dropped vertically making less of a tripping issue and able to use in tighter spaces. Just a thought.
View attachment 609706
Securing a cantilevered awning to the roof like you've drawn without modifying the roof would be a challenge, there would be a lot of leverage on the attachment to the roof. You'd want a roof rack for that, which wold defeat the whole purpose of a "no rack awning" :).

About a shorter awning for tailgating, the way I've done the design it can be installed at multiple lengths so a smaller size when needed is easy. Just roll up the front of the awning and secure it using the middle grommet. More grommets for different lengths could easily be added.

uc

Bobs85Reny

Securing a cantilevered awning to the roof like you've drawn without modifying the roof would be a challenge, there would be a lot of leverage on the attachment to the roof. You'd want a roof rack for that, which wold defeat the whole purpose of a "no rack awning" :).

About a shorter awning for tailgating, the way I've done the design it can be installed at multiple lengths so a smaller size when needed is easy. Just roll up the front of the awning and secure it using the middle grommet. More grommets for different lengths could easily be added.

uc
I see how that would be a problem. Here is another thought for you if you are ok with my random ideas. My bimini boat canopy uses this concept.
it adds more structure increasing cost but it might work.
v2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This photo was in an article about a well-equipped Discovery. It's the only photo of this feature and the photo was very small so there isn't a better view of it, but this is an armrest with pockets that mounts on the inside of the door.

DoorPouches_zpsb32u1xjr.jpg

Not sure if this would be practical (or useful) in a Jeep.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure what the purpose of this is except maybe to lower the center of gravity - a roof top tent mounted at an angle:

AngledRTT1_zpscsksu4gc.jpg

When it's time to set up the tent, a (hydraulic?) ram raises the tent to level.

AngledRTT2_zpsptzjwbyl.jpg

Maybe a Gladiator owner that's concerned about CofG would be interested in this.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Interesting Ideas

Land Rover must have a Jscherb on their team to!
I don't know about that but I do know that overseas Land Rover people think differently about outfitting and using their vehicles than most US Jeep people. Over the years that I've subscribed to UK Land Rover magazines I've been inspired by many things in them and have implemented many features for my own Jeeps based on that inspiration. Over the course of this thread I'll post a bunch more things I've designed and built that were inspired by ideas from those magazines.

For example, I'm in the final design process right now of a roof rack feature based on the extended racks on Land Rovers. I've already picked up the metal for it (see the 16' pieces of square tubing on the rack on my LJ below) and I expect to begin cutting and welding in the next few days.

RackMetal_zps3wr2vusn.jpg

BTW I'm in the process of helping several companies get new designs into production, some of which have inspiration in Land Rover products. I recently turned over design drawings and a prototype for a new Gladiator product to a company and I'm also in the process of helping a company get a new JK design into production and helping a trailer company with some designs for their trailers. And I've been invited by a major Jeep accessories retailer to design some storage features for a Jeep they're building to commemorate the anniversary of their company, I've got to travel to meet with them next week. Not to mention house projects, my wife wanted a new mirror for the bedroom so yesterday was spent woodworking. Lots going on here.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It's not uncommon here in the U.S. to make a trailer out of an old Jeep tub. Here's one in the U.K. made from a Defender body.

TubCamper_zpspwerp9wx.jpg

Also notice the extended roof rack on the Defender above.

TubCamper2_zps7peqpmkn.jpg

TubCamper3_zpsuybynulx.jpg

It's easier here in the U.S. though, you don't need to find an old Jeep tub to turn into a trailer - you can build one with a fiberglass kit.

Overland1.jpg

TubMockup3.jpg

Serial lurker here. Haven’t owned a Jeep since I sold my ‘93 YJ, and I’ve always had serious LR envy since watching Daktari. What have I missed most during this Age of COVID? Reading/buying LRO, LRM, and Classic Land Rover magazines at our local B&N. Guess I should just shell out for overseas subscriptions.

My longbed pickup will never be as nimble as a JLU or D110 (57 extra inches of wheelbase?‍♂️), but most of my ideas for outfitting the bed area for camping start with something I’ve seen in the mags. Great thread, I’ll just slip back into the shadows for now. ?

94Discovery

Adventurer
This photo was in an article about a well-equipped Discovery. It's the only photo of this feature and the photo was very small so there isn't a better view of it, but this is an armrest with pockets that mounts on the inside of the door.

DoorPouches_zpsb32u1xjr.jpg

Not sure if this would be practical (or useful) in a Jeep.
This arm rest is found in the UAE arab region used mostly on toyota land cruisers 78/78 series .

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today: Two more projects that were inspired by things I first saw in Land Rover magazines. First project:

When I saw this photo a few years ago I was inspired to make a similar "covered wagon" top for my fiberglass military trailer.

TrailerCoveredWagon_zpst4pouzpr.jpg

I didn't use camo fabric for mine though.

TopView_zpsxvpigqqv.jpg

CargoAccess1_zpsmkzfbbyh.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Second project:

This is another thing I implemented after first seeing these in one of the Land Rover magazines. They are available over here but I wasn't aware of them until they appeared in a Land Rover magazine - Land Rover magazines are more focused on overlanding/camping than the magazines here have been so I often see things in them I haven't seen in U.S. magazines.

ARBShoeCaddies_zpsouncpdwg.jpg

Seeing that in the magazine inspired me to sew my own, I made two but only one is hanging from the edge of the tent in this photo:

ShoeCaddyTest1_zpszx0kywpv.jpg

At first I used "awning rope" to hang them. Awning rope is a rubber extrusion that has a bulb that slides into a channel and a flat edge that can be sewed.

ShoeCaddyAwningRope_zps7yoijw4f.jpg

There's a channel on the bottom edge of my RTT (and many other RTTs) which accepts the awning rope:

ShoeCaddyInstallation_zpsxvbo9s89.jpg

Later I made a changing room that hangs below the tent and to hang it I used awning rope to attach it to the tent base. Since that meant that the awning rope channel was no longer available to hang the shoe bags I changed the bag mounting to snaps. In these photos the tent is off the Jeep and standing against the wall of the garage but you can see how the snaps are implemented.

ShoeCaddySnaps1_zpsyv3ehwq0.jpg

ShoeCaddySnaps2_zpszuczbvtu.jpg

In both photos above the black strip around the base of the tent is Velcro sewed to awning rope - my DIY changing room attaches to the Velcro.

I know this isn't specifically a Land Rover idea because these are generically for roof top tents and are available in the U.S., but I was inspired by the photo in the Land Rover magazine to make mine. Anyway I thought some might find the two methods for hanging the caddies useful so that's why I posted this.

JDaPP

Adventurer
So not a Land Rover but I came across this German youtube channel where they have some similar ideas for adapting the Jeep with various storage options (and made a pop top with a RTT). Thought it might be of interest / was relevant.

94Discovery

Adventurer
Second project:

This is another thing I implemented after first seeing these in one of the Land Rover magazines. They are available over here but I wasn't aware of them until they appeared in a Land Rover magazine - Land Rover magazines are more focused on overlanding/camping than the magazines here have been so I often see things in them I haven't seen in U.S. magazines.

ARBShoeCaddies_zpsouncpdwg.jpg

Seeing that in the magazine inspired me to sew my own, I made two but only one is hanging from the edge of the tent in this photo:

ShoeCaddyTest1_zpszx0kywpv.jpg

At first I used "awning rope" to hang them. Awning rope is a rubber extrusion that has a bulb that slides into a channel and a flat edge that can be sewed.

ShoeCaddyAwningRope_zps7yoijw4f.jpg

There's a channel on the bottom edge of my RTT (and many other RTTs) which accepts the awning rope:

ShoeCaddyInstallation_zpsxvbo9s89.jpg

Later I made a changing room that hangs below the tent and to hang it I used awning rope to attach it to the tent base. Since that meant that the awning rope channel was no longer available to hang the shoe bags I changed the bag mounting to snaps. In these photos the tent is off the Jeep and standing against the wall of the garage but you can see how the snaps are implemented.

ShoeCaddySnaps1_zpsyv3ehwq0.jpg

ShoeCaddySnaps2_zpszuczbvtu.jpg

In both photos above the black strip around the base of the tent is Velcro sewed to awning rope - my DIY changing room attaches to the Velcro.

I know this isn't specifically a Land Rover idea because these are generically for roof top tents and are available in the U.S., but I was inspired by the photo in the Land Rover magazine to make mine. Anyway I thought some might find the two methods for hanging the caddies useful so that's why I posted this.
Put a lid on the shoe bag in case it rains and some drain wholes .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles