Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few days ago I posted about this grab bar bag:

GrabBarBag_zpswljwwiru.jpg

Apparently it came in two versions - this version has a separate hanging flap instead of the sleeve sewn into the bag flap that Jurfie noticed n the photo above.

GrabBarBag2_zpshyyn4ojc.jpg

This one probably hangs down too far to work well on a Wrangler roll bar but the version in the first photo would work in a Wrangler. Do people think a bag like this would be useful in a Wrangler?

ratled

Adventurer
There are already several out there, a handful on Amazon and I think Blue Ridge Overland makes one. Search jeep grab handle pouch and you can see the various oferings

jscherb

Expedition Leader
There are already several out there, a handful on Amazon and I think Blue Ridge Overland makes one. Search jeep grab handle pouch and you can see the various oferings
Yes I'm aware of them, most of them hang completely below the grab bar on straps - this one hangs over the top of the bar so perhaps could be designed to take up less knee space than those bags.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I finished a proof-of-concept "No Rack Awning". For fabric I used a $4.00 Harbor Freight tarp - since this is a proof-of-concept there's no need to use fabric that's more expensive than this. If I go forward with the project I'll sew a new canopy out of better fabric.

The awning works with any hardtop or a factory soft top with no modifications to the top and doesn't require a rack to attach to. Attachment is with webbing straps and hooks that go under the edge of the hardtop or soft top. Parachute buckles are used to provide adjustment for a tight fit and to provide for quick and easy release.

It was raining when I did the first test fit, so the Jeep is in the garage.

GarageTest1_zps6ndgwhre.jpg

GarageTest1a_zpsglx7xtn2.jpg

The attachment straps aren't final, I used what I had on hand for the proof-of-concept.

So far I've got less than $25 in it - $4 for a tarp, $15 for the poles, $4 in paracord and stakes, plus some random bits of webbing and clips I had on hand.

I haven't decided where I'll go next with this. As a proof-of-concept, I think it is successful. I can add features to it like the roll-up side panels, or I could change the size or shape.

What do you guys think? Is this idea worth continuing to develop? And if so, which direction should I go with it?

For reference: the inspiration from the magazine:

HoodExtender_zpsoqz09vuo.jpg

Bobs85Reny

I like the idea. I can see this as something I would buy. Its something that can even be used even when your not camping. It would be good idea for tailgating. A lot of people don't need or want the complexity or expense of awnings that need to be attached to racks. Looks like it will store easily and have minimal set up time. The only thing I don't like about it are the cords to stake it down. It would be nice if it could work within the footprint of the awning without the cords.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I think your idea is very well done. I made one that attaches to my roof rack from flags that were used to advertise an apartment complex that were being discarded. Bright orange, but for the price they work great.
Your tarp is a good idea and considering what you have invested it makes sense to try before going farther with expenses. The idea that it can used without a roof rack is great, using softer fabric at the metal roof to avoid marring the finish in a windy situation might be worth considering.

Vinman

Observer
I’d like to see an awning that uses poles that go back to the bumper of the Jeep for support instead of requiring guy wires and ground stakes. Something like RV awnings use.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Slightly off topic or maybe not as it's a Land Rover idea for a Jeep..... Do you foresee making a safari style roof / canopy for the Gladiator?

Along the lines of these renders?

20c5o843o3731.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like the idea. I can see this as something I would buy. Its something that can even be used even when your not camping. It would be good idea for tailgating. A lot of people don't need or want the complexity or expense of awnings that need to be attached to racks. Looks like it will store easily and have minimal set up time. The only thing I don't like about it are the cords to stake it down. It would be nice if it could work within the footprint of the awning without the cords.

To eliminate the guy lines, an expanding structure similar to that of a typical canopy could be used:

CanopyStructure_zpslg1xyof4.jpg

But even those canopies come with stakes for the bottom of the poles and with guy lines because they'll take off with a moderate wind, so the guy lines probably couldn't be eliminated in all situations.

I’d like to see an awning that uses poles that go back to the bumper of the Jeep for support instead of requiring guy wires and ground stakes. Something like RV awnings use.

To support a structure angling down to the bumper, a much stronger attachment to the roof would be required to overcome the leverage the awning would exert.

I thought about adding more structure, but it would start to get heavy and bulky to store so I decided that with the minimal storage space available in a Jeep a simpler design would be best. Adding structure to it, while perhaps making it marginally easier to set up, would make it larger and heavier and harder to carry in a storage-limited Jeep.

When stowed, this awning takes up very little space, here are all the parts. I'll make a storage bag for them.

PartsRolled_zpsndbr9moa.jpg

Hopefully I'll have time to set it up outside today and take some better photos, stay tuned.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Slightly off topic or maybe not as it's a Land Rover idea for a Jeep..... Do you foresee making a safari style roof / canopy for the Gladiator?

Along the lines of these renders?

View attachment 609669
Back when the Brute Double Cab was hot, I did a some design work on a Safari roof for it. This concept has roll-up sides around the bed.

BDCSafari_zps4nekjrsu.jpg

It would be fun to build one but I don't have a Gladiator.

Bobs85Reny

To eliminate the guy lines, an expanding structure similar to that of a typical canopy could be used:

CanopyStructure_zpslg1xyof4.jpg

But even those canopies come with stakes for the bottom of the poles and with guy lines because they'll take off with a moderate wind, so the guy lines probably couldn't be eliminated in all situations.

To support a structure angling down to the bumper, a much stronger attachment to the roof would be required to overcome the leverage the awning would exert.

I thought about adding more structure, but it would start to get heavy and bulky to store so I decided that with the minimal storage space available in a Jeep a simpler design would be best. Adding structure to it, while perhaps making it marginally easier to set up, would make it larger and heavier and harder to carry in a storage-limited Jeep.

When stowed, this awning takes up very little space, here are all the parts. I'll make a storage bag for them.

PartsRolled_zpsndbr9moa.jpg

Hopefully I'll have time to set it up outside today and take some better photos, stay tuned.
I understand the need for the lines I just would want more of a compact space if used for tailgating. I like what was suggested about the poles connected to the bumper. Then the lines could be dropped vertically making less of a tripping issue and able to use in tighter spaces. Just a thought.
Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 1.24.01 PM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles