Freeze dried hash browns - who else likes them?

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
The price of freeze dried is pretty steep up here in Canadaland. so I do the dehydrate thing. Today I did 2 kg about 4.5 lbs in my Nesco dehydrator. From there i can Vac-bag them, and just take a bag or 2 on my forays. It really shrinks in size and weight with the only offset being a req. for water. Tomorrow Pasta......

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
The price of freeze dried is pretty steep up here in Canadaland. so I do the dehydrate thing. Today I did 2 kg about 4.5 lbs in my Nesco dehydrator. From there i can Vac-bag them, and just take a bag or 2 on my forays. It really shrinks in size and weight with the only offset being a req. for water. Tomorrow Pasta......

Freeze dried pasta.... does it not come that way :ROFLMAO: :p

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
No, they are dehydrated. People suggesting they're freeze dried are incorrect although they are prepared similarly - you heat up water, open the carton, fill to the line, close the carton and wait 12 minutes, then into the fry pan with oil of your choice (we like using olive oil even though it's not traditional).

We always keep an 8-pack from Costco at home and use them when there's more than two of us here for breakfast. I've never used them camping because it's usually just me so when I want something similar, I use MH Breakfast Skillet (which is actually freeze dried).
Olive oil has a low flash point.
Hungry Jack Real Potato, Gluten Free, Original Hashbrowns 4.2oz (8 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07985Z8YM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oNL7DbN22GYYZ

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Potatoes have never had gluten. Buck a box at 99 cents store.

Last edited:

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
be interesting to see how one dries sauce. I understand the rest but that is a curiosity to me.

In the links you can see the process from the cookpot to the bowl. Some ppl dehydrate tomato paste to create tomato dust for real extended storage and long range hiking.

Photomike

Potatoes have never had gluten. Buck a box at 99 cents store.

It is not the potatoes but what they cover them in. It is scary how much stuff has extras added. Cheese slices are coated in flour. Wine gums have potato added. Hot dogs have milk added.

Getting to the point that you cannot eat anything without reading the ingredients.

G8rRanger

Our Tennessee Kroger has them for $1.37 a box. Seems like a no-brainer for the shelf-stable camp food supplies.

Photomike

It is not the potatoes but what they cover them in. It is scary how much stuff has extras added. Cheese slices are coated in flour. Wine gums have potato added. Hot dogs have milk added.

Getting to the point that you cannot eat anything without reading the ingredients.

That is so true. My daughter-in-law is allergic to potatoes and 90% of food has either potato or flour added or both as it is a cheap filler.

Fishenough

Creeper
Expo Alert: Our CostCo is no longer selling the the hasbrown 8 pack!!! They also couldn't give a definitive time if/when they may return. End of days......

Did your Costco restock them? Our Van Isle Canadian Costco always does; between our 4x4 and motorcycle travels, and this year we've put in well over 30 hiking days due to the crazy vid; we have our hashbrowns most mornings. The hashbrowns crisped in bacon fat, then we had pre-made eggs n veggies, sausage and the bacon, sometimes cheese.

Pictured is my luxury item on last weekends trip to a remote beach, I carry wood burning camp stove and a bag of charcoal. Burns a long time, can simmer up the hashbrowns and still keep the coffee hot. In remote areas I've made bbq'ed hamburgers in rainy conditions travelling on motorcycle. I was on the KLR this trip, and luckly found a vacant covered area with firewood for 2 nights.

Attachments

• 118518078_1477920769065063_2569155792365982700_n.jpg
    118518078_1477920769065063_2569155792365982700_n.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 43

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Did your Costco restock them? Our Van Isle Canadian Costco always does; between our 4x4 and motorcycle travels, and this year we've put in well over 30 hiking days due to the crazy vid; we have our hashbrowns most mornings. The hashbrowns crisped in bacon fat, then we had pre-made eggs n veggies, sausage and the bacon, sometimes cheese.

Pictured is my luxury item on last weekends trip to a remote beach, I carry wood burning camp stove and a bag of charcoal. Burns a long time, can simmer up the hashbrowns and still keep the coffee hot. In remote areas I've made bbq'ed hamburgers in rainy conditions travelling on motorcycle. I was on the KLR this trip, and luckly found a vacant covered area with firewood for 2 nights.

Great camp, great shot and great moto! Our Costco did get the hashbrowns back in and we've stocked up! I recently did one of my week long KLR trips in western Colorado and Utah and thought about bringing some hashbrowns and probably should have.....darn. Did mostly dehydrated camp food and a nice grilled steak.
348518FE-120E-472A-8ED2-073794FD9880.jpegFF851171-CC3F-471E-9BF8-A1D5C9CC45EF.jpeg

jeepers29

Great camp, great shot and great moto! Our Costco did get the hashbrowns back in and we've stocked up! I recently did one of my week long KLR trips in western Colorado and Utah and thought about bringing some hashbrowns and probably should have.....darn. Did mostly dehydrated camp food and a nice grilled steak.
View attachment 608647View attachment 608648
I am surprised you found a place in Co that you were allowed to have a fire right now. That steak looks yummy!

Fishenough

Creeper
View attachment 608647View attachment 608648
KLR

Was on a hunt for trail access to Lawn Point Provincial Park, a normally open ocean access only part of Vancouver Islands west coast. Also any excess to ride Hwy 30, the best paved road on the island, fantastic even on knobbies.

Steak well traveling is the best! First use of the wood camp stove on a hiking trip, we had 2 stoves amongst 4 hikers, was steak, hashbrowns, and gravy.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I am surprised you found a place in Co that you were allowed to have a fire right now. That steak looks yummy!

That ride was in June, early season and before all the craziness and bans. It was also a LNT fire. Cheers.

Dinner Fire:
0B54F68F-E014-4460-A42C-C3724C0C77FC.jpeg

After dinner fire with cigar and bourbon:
C5AFCD14-FF90-4A5F-878F-84992301CAC3.jpeg

Campsite LNT Clean-up next morning:
FCFE6415-2D1E-467F-8C6C-49111B14F71E.jpeg

Leave No Trace (LNT) firepit next morning:
57455AFF-F65F-402D-8553-5498EC4B9DCB.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members