Is buying a Discovery II a bad idea?

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I have always liked the Discovery and I keep seeing them pop up between 500-700 dollars. I don't need another vehicle so it would basically just be a vehicle to toy with. The one I am currently interested had a u joint come loose and supposedly cracked the transfer case(I haven't seen it in person yet). I have heard a lot of bad things about this model, is it a waste of time buying one of these?

Howski

Buying a D2 is not a bad idea if you like to tinker and turn wrenches. A $500 D2 will more than likely be a bad idea. They can be enjoyable vehicles for the right person (I’ve owned two) but one at that price will be a nightmare IMO. Given they’re so cheap, find a nice, well maintained example and lightly upgraded as needed. Plenty of information here and across the web on what to look for before purchasing

rgallant

Adventurer
U-joint failures take out transmissions so no that one is not worth it.

The thing is the newest one you will get is 16 years old, it is going to need work. I have one and I like it, it is easy to work on and runs well. But I have done head gaskets, not hard just takes some time, and replaced the front drive shaft. Various sensors etc are starting to fail, but at 16 years that is expected as most have been in there for 16 years.

The #1 issue is the engine followed by rust if you are a so called rust state.

The engine is a full aluminum engine with steel sleeves, any significant over heat is likely to cause head gasket failure or warped heads. That is compounded by a temp gauge that is functionally an idiot light and higher than originally designed operating temps for emissions. Both of these are easily addressed.

Rust is in the rear of the frame and can be extremely significant it requires a cut and replace of that frame section - I do not know where you are but that is more a case of pre-purchase inspection

A few other things

Sunroof drains and sun roofs are known to leak
Ac drains can clog
Drive shaft - remedied by getting a serviceable drive shaft and actually greasing it
"3 amigos" ABS wheel sensors and pump can throw a code, and you need an LR code reader to correct you still have braking just no ABS or traction control
Transfer leaks from the front input shaft -any LR with same transfer case can have the same leak it both a seal and shaft problem. Generally the solution is to just top up the TC when you do you oil changes the seal will never fail it will just leak
They need 91 octane fuel and the mileage sucks 100 liter (25 gal) tank and I get between 250 and 325 miles to the tank
Regular oil changes 3000 miles 10/40 or 15/40 with 1200 PPM zinc old push rod tech easy enough to get
Lots of them tick, old school push rod V8's do that with age as long as you do not hear it the cab it is not generally much of problem but it an be

On the pro side they are comfortable and capable, tons of interior space.

If you are serious about a Disco II go here https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/ it is an enthusiast forum but you will get all the good and bad if you ask.

MatttheHatt

I sure like mine... they are just cool vehicles with great stock offroad capability.

They are easy to work on.

Mine has always brought me home.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

soflorovers

Are you a masochist?

Do want the automotive equivalent of a toxic ex-girlfriend?

Are you ready to ask yourself "WHO THE **** PUT THE COIL PACK BACK HERE?!"
My father helped me do the headgaskets on my D2 and he literally said "You can tell this wasn't designed by Honda". My personal favorite was his description of the secondary air injection pipe as the "Bullwinkle". Oh Land Rover...you never cease to frustrate me.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
My father helped me do the headgaskets on my D2 and he literally said "You can tell this wasn't designed by Honda". My personal favorite was his description of the secondary air injection pipe as the "Bullwinkle". Oh Land Rover...you never cease to frustrate me.

I mean the Crossroad wasn't even designed by Honda!

I've already had posts removed for cursing, but screw it. ******** SAI.

ds.willy

I just bought one this summer after stalking them for years. Know what you're getting into for sure. I think for a “oldish” truck they are not that bad. Most of the catastrophic issues are motor related. The rest is just naggy little stuff that feels like a game of wack a mole. Parts are cheap and usually easy to find unless the transmission cooler line pops off (ask me how I know). When crawling underneath you would think your looking up at a 70's Ford or Chevy. Its nearly that simple. Mine has been a perfect combination of wrenching and driving which was what I wanted.

As for the above Honda reference, can’t apply it in my auto world. I had a Honda Element that was so poorly designed and needed endless TLC I couldn’t get rid of it fast enough.

Toxic girlfriends can be fun.

alanymarce

If you like doing your own maintenance and repairs - good plan. The brakes are not very good - plan on longer stopping distances than for other similar vehicles. I wouldn't plan on a multi-day desert crossing, personally. However lots of people enjoy them.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
As with all pre-owned the previous owner/s are a significant factor as will be your standard of care. once sorted a DII can be an excellent truck.

I still see many DII's in daily use here, many more than the D5 but less than LR3/4's.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
If you like doing your own maintenance and repairs - good plan. The brakes are not very good - plan on longer stopping distances than for other similar vehicles. I wouldn't plan on a multi-day desert crossing, personally. However lots of people enjoy them.

Weird, I thought the truck stopped really well all things considered. It wasn't good compared to my RX8... but way better than my TJ stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94