Craig’s G500

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The German army wolf had a steel recovery loop welded to a thick plate that bolts into the rear frame cross member where the hitch goes. I have one that is refinished if you want one.

Thanks for all the additional info. I’m going to take a closer look at those rings. They do look stouter than mist tie downs.

That wolf recovery loop setup sounds interesting. PM me a few details when you have a chance?

SSG

The Coopers do look really nice. I was thinking of Toyo Open Country or BF Goodrich KO2 for my G.

craig

The Coopers do look really nice. I was thinking of Toyo Open Country or BF Goodrich KO2 for my G.

I’ve had 4 sets of BFGs MTs and do like them. The Cooper’s generally get better reviews than either the BFGs or Toyos though, and are a bit less. The Expedition Portal tire review had me leaning towards the regular Cooper Discovers but the basalt rocks are just too hard on the sidewalls up here in the PNW. This was the most conservative tread I could find with a strong sidewall. They drive fantastic on road and off so far. I’d recommend them without considering price, with the lower cost it’s even better.

SSG

Strongly considering them. How do you like that suspension set up you have? I will definitely be doing suspension to mine and definitely want an auxilary tank to help out with range.

I saw a video of stock Mercedes Gs (463) doing the Canning Stock Route back in like 2011 and the major issues they had were with the stock suspensions (many failures) they had a 460 or 461 series as well which made it through with no issues. Andrew St Pierre White (love his vids and content) said in the vid below that the 463 is "Not an overlander", I disagree, obviously in its stock form it had issues with that very hard trek but with modified suspension and tires, kitted out, in my opinion the 463 is a highly capable overlander :) Although he did say that the bad press it received was unfair because the vehicle was in stock form.

craig

Strongly considering them. How do you like that suspension set up you have? I will definitely be doing suspension to mine and definitely want an auxilary tank to help out with range.

I saw a video of stock Mercedes Gs (463) doing the Canning Stock Route back in like 2011 and the major issues they had were with the stock suspensions (many failures) they had a 460 or 461 series as well which made it through with no issues. Andrew St Pierre White (love his vids and content) said in the vid below that the 463 is "Not an overlander", I disagree, obviously in its stock form it had issues with that very hard trek but with modified suspension and tires, kitted out, in my opinion the 463 is a highly capable overlander :) Although he did say that the bad press it received was unfair because the vehicle was in stock form.

Yeah, I saw that video too. Considering all that a vehicle can beed to handle rugged roads/trails a suspension issue is pretty minor and almost always replaced on every vehicle (Jeep, Toyota, Land Rover, ...) to do this sort of thing.

So far I like it. Fox external reservoir shocks are known to be quite good, and rebuildable. The springs were stiff at first but have relaxed with a a few miles of washboard/trail and is now a nicer ride than stock. I haven’t had a chance to see how well the vehicle articulates yet.

MitsyMonty

Awesome to see another G being off-roaded in the PNW! We should hit the trails sometime :)

Curious what shop (if any) has worked on your G, I've been looking for a competent one in the Seattle area to do some mild upgrades but it'd be nice to find a shop that already has experience working on the 463.

craig

Awesome to see another G being off-roaded in the PNW! We should hit the trails sometime :)

Curious what shop (if any) has worked on your G, I've been looking for a competent one in the Seattle area to do some mild upgrades but it'd be nice to find a shop that already has experience working on the 463.

I’d love to hit the trails. PM me.

So far my friend who’s the Shop Manager at Land Rover Seattle has been helping me with the bigger items. He’s moving though, so I’m also looking for someone.

Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craig

Added the rooftop tent, driving lights, Batwing awning, and gave it a nose job.

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpeg
    IMG_0847.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0790.jpeg
    IMG_0790.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 114
  • DSC04526.jpeg
    DSC04526.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6833.jpeg
    IMG_6833.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101

RobMBush

I'm Also in the PNW. Down in Portland OR. I've got a buddy also doing a G build currently that's up in Seattle. We should try to get a group trip going in OR/WA sometime.

imjustdave

Cooper Discoverer ST Max All Terrains 295/70-R18

So those are 35" tires?

Mind sharing some photo on pavement? I know dirt is better but I'm looking at trying to run 35 and really interested in learning more about your lift, springs and how you like the ride ETC. just spent the last hr reading thor spring setup. I wheel often and the last trip out was the shortest truck tire wise. tires need an upgrade and I feel the suspension is sagging a bit too much. think I'm more lost now then prior after reading thor options.
would love to see your truck sometime as well, I live in Sumner :)

David
KI7SVH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles