$200 5KW Portable Diesel Air Heater

hoodlum

Hey guys I know it’s just August but winter is coming. I bought the Chinese diesel heater and used it in our rig last winter. Problem came when I let it run on low for 14hrs, we spent the winter mostly above 6000ft. It shut down and would not restart. When I disassembled it was full of soot. After this problem we went to 50% Kerosene / diesel Mix.
I like the idea of running it on high constantly. That would solve the problem I believe. I could heat two other vehicles I bet with my 3KW unit.
***Question..WILL the HIGH DOLLAR units be any different..? if so I may buy 1.***
Thanks ahead for your input.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Sooting the heat exchanger and combustion chamber is not typically a fuel issue. So using kerosene is not likely to help much. Lots of soot is a lack of air typically. Too many bends, too long of intake/exhaust. If you are camping at high altitudes, you either need to let the unit breathe more freely, or adjust the fuel output down. Either in software if possible, or by swapping the pump for a lower output one.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hey guys I know it’s just August but winter is coming. I bought the Chinese diesel heater and used it in our rig last winter. Problem came when I let it run on low for 14hrs, we spent the winter mostly above 6000ft. It shut down and would not restart. When I disassembled it was full of soot. After this problem we went to 50% Kerosene / diesel Mix.
I like the idea of running it on high constantly. That would solve the problem I believe. I could heat two other vehicles I bet with my 3KW unit.
***Question..WILL the HIGH DOLLAR units be any different..? if so I may buy 1.***
Thanks ahead for your input.

It's not easy to make these heaters run fault free in higher altitudes. The problem is with the adjustment of oxygen to fuel ratio. Kerosene will certainly help. I can guarantee you that our Planar heaters will not let you down at elevation up to 10.000ft. Example: couple years ago we only carried the regular version for sea level operation. I personally used that one at 10.000ft for several days on regular diesel. Maybe I was just lucky.... But it worked. Since then, we exclusively only selling the version with the altitude kit. It's built in and does not need any adjustments or anything. That unit has been sold many many times to customers in higher elevation states. None of them came back complaining. In fact, we very rarely have anyone calling us with problems or questions. They just simply work.
Give it a try. www.expeditionupfitter.com

Attachments

• 2.-Planar-2D-12-Portable_1080x.jpg
    2.-Planar-2D-12-Portable_1080x.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 4.-Planar-2D-12-Portable_1080x.jpg
    4.-Planar-2D-12-Portable_1080x.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 1D2_6552_1080x.jpg
    1D2_6552_1080x.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 103
  • 1D2_6557_1080x.jpg
    1D2_6557_1080x.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 7.-Planar-2D-12-Portable_1080x.jpg
    7.-Planar-2D-12-Portable_1080x.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 9.-Planar-2D-12-Portable_1080x.jpg
    9.-Planar-2D-12-Portable_1080x.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 98

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
The China models can be programmed for altitude. There are Youtube vids on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Victorian

I don’t know what your guys problem is. We are an approved vendor at expedition portal as you can see in our profile to the left. Without us vendors this forum wouldn’t exist ? ... . Someone asked the question about the higher end models in regards of reliability. Hence my answer. Fine with us if you unfollow us on social media. we don’t force anyone to subscriptions. ? .

hoodlum

This afternoon I spent an hr trying to speak with a tech at Webasto and Eberspacher. Spelling may b off. Webasto n Cummins were listed togethe, guessing as reps. NO luck...only sales people. Eber nothing came up in the USA that I could find. Really....At a price of 1k I want to ask a question or 2.
Now we did adj our China heater for altitude. However after in goes thru a cycle n shuts down u have to reset again.
Let me ask again.....Is there someone out there that has a $1000.00 web or eber unit that can let their unit run on LOW for 14hrs straight with out soothing up.?
If so share altitude, fuel type, etc. Thanks

Last edited:

Victorian

Taking a risk for another hit. Please be kind ?.... let me explain your challenge:
Diesel heaters ( no matter the brand or size) like to run hot. Almost like a Diesel engine. Running it on low for longer periods will cause problems over time. All pending on the type of fuel it happens faster or slower. Kerosene is best.. I always recommend to select a smaller heater and run it at full. Instead of a bigger unit that will heat your unit fast. I rather give it an hour if that means it makes the heater more reliable.
If it gets too hot inside the camper, open a window! Never ever just turn a diesel heater on for just 5 minutes ... always let it run at least 15 minutes to bring up to temperature.

another tip to make them run efficient and trouble free is to avoid a thermostat. Although a great convinience, it will most likely never bring it up to operating temperature As most campers will warm fairly quick. to my knowledge, most heaters will also need to go through the full pre start cycle every time the heater kicks on. This means pre glow with high power consumption. Use a manual dial instead.

john61ct

Adventurer
This is a big advantage to hydronic distribution systems, with a decent tank size for thermal mass.

Run the water heater at full bore for a certain duty cycle, say 25% of the time in mild ambients, 50% in real bitter cold.

The thermostat then controls the speed / frequency of the fluid getting circulated to your radiators / calorifiers, a large enough hysteresis (delta in on/off setpoints) means the heater itself only gets fired up every couple / few hours, while the conditioned air temps stay in the comfort zone, can be tweaked with fan settings

also IMO more comfortable than forced air, can be lots quieter with the heater located outside away from the living space, no air ducts coming inside.

Unfortunately have seen very few examples of the cheap chinese as water heaters, especially gasoline fired which I would prefer.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
This is exactly why I put a propane furnace in my trailer. No problems running it with a thermostat or at elevation.

41gpyRim8zL._AC_.jpg

hoodlum

Wow... Victorian and john61ct, THAT is the best info I’ve found on diesel heaters in MANY hrs of research...Period.
I’ve struggled thru BORING YouTube videos and not gotten those nuggets of fact...
Those two posts need to be in a sticky like....BEFORE you buy a diesel heater READ THIS.
Our Chines diesel heater worked fine...till I let it run on low all day.. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles