Is it always this way or more due to the increase in camping interest due to covid-19?

Like many folks, I scan the classified section here and and on craigslist. More and more I’m seeing folks trying to sell there used 4wheel camper for new money.

“5 year old camper, with all the options would cost you $30K today + tax so Im going to ask $30k, what it would cost today, but you save the tax. “ - What?

I believe you can ask whatever you want but this seems kind of odd to me. Well built campers for sure, but there must be some depreciation.
This isn’t just unique to four wheel campers but Im seeing it on a lot of the unique campers/trailers. Airstreams, bigfoot trailer, escape trailers out of Canada.

I may be way off the mark but anticipate lots of used rigs/campers on the market when the world gets back to normal.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Typical is seemingly unstable times...

Some looking to liquidate to soften financial troubles.
Others looking to capitalize.

I'm seeing the same thing in real-estate right now, specifically in the rental market here locally.

zooroadbaja

Adventurer
I think there’s a demand to get out since everything is closed down and a lot of people aren’t selling because of the scare of Corona. I have flipped two slide in campers within 24 hours of buying them and have made $1500 between the two.

jkam

nomadic man
The world will never see what we considered normal ever again.
That said, a lot of people with too many toys will be unloading them.
Eventually, those that are stuck with them will be asking you to take it away for free.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Actually with the virus a lot of people are taking vacations closer to home by taking a road trip in a self contained unit, a RV. Demand and interest is up in the RV industry, both in the rental and retail market.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Any escape pod with a potty is now magically worth more money. The donated boats to our sailing program sold back in June they sat for 2 years!!!! With zero interest both sold like they were packed with Gold in June.

People are dragging stuff out of the moth balled weeds lot and are selling them like they are gold right now.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The FWC market is one thing (very very few used for sale, even dealers who had stock are out of stock), but the Sprinter van market is a whole other ball of wax. I've seen people adding up every last receipt, including sales tax, fuel costs to drive to get parts, misc oddball costs you wouldn't expect to see, etc. Then they list the FULL price for every penny they have invested, and that's the selling price. $99,712 for a Sprinter 4x4 with simple upholstered wall panels, Maxxair fan, 2 wheelwell cabinets, basic electrical, wheels/tires. And these are individuals, not a business trying to cover costs so they can make a profit to keep building Sprinter vans for customers. But...the Sprinter van market is hot and there are people who don't know better who will fall for it.

Danavision

It's even worse with fitness equipment. Everyone who worked out at a gym bought home gym equipment and most manufacturers were out of stock. Craigslist was a great place to buy fitness equipment now has used items listed for 2 or 3 times new prices.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
covid vacations
I've never seen it so busy camping.
You're right, fitness equipment (bicycles for example) is booming. I've also seen many more outfitted 4x4's than ever
I've also gotten so many unsolicited offers on property since covid started. But those feel like vultures.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
covid vacations
I've never seen it so busy camping.
You're right, fitness equipment (bicycles for example) is booming. I've also seen many more outfitted 4x4's than ever
I've also gotten so many unsolicited offers on property since covid started. But those feel like vultures.

Camping in official campgrounds?
Some I've spoken to (regarding dispersed camping) have said where they've gone, there's been no one else around--heavenly.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I never go to designated campgrounds. Allergic to pavement camping.

I think it depends on time of the week, at least around here. But big uptick in primitive camping, anything close to civilization.
I'll hit some more Sierras before the cold hits, so I hope you're right.

Camping in official campgrounds?
Some I've spoken to (regarding dispersed camping) have said where they've gone, there's been no one else around--heavenly.

Tugvi

4 wheel campers have always held value. Now "influencers" use them but they have been around a long time so they have the crowed that grew up camping in them too. People want them now and to not have to go on a long wait list. People don't like to wait. Folks even before covid were selling go fast camper stop, some just wanted their deposits back but others were being capitalist and selling higher due to being closer to build date. People will pay up for immediate gratification.

Wallygator

Adventurer
No this is all Wuhan driven. People moving out of the big cities in droves. Camping is a way to get away from others. Hopefully this "movement" doesn't have such a massive effect that there will be absolutely no where to hide anymore

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles