Article: More Than Meets the Eye: Contribute to the World’s Largest Microplastics Dat

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nautical not nice: how fibreglass boats have become a global pollution problem

This article is a bit strange. We haven’t used copper based paints for quite some time now. The term plastic classic for old glass boats was just a term used much like woody. Micro plastics are a very modern plastic and share nothing with glass cloth and epoxy resin. However!!! Yes there is a big problem with people dumping old fiberglass boats vs having them properly disposed of. All boats should be ground up and disposed of. Steel ships should be scrapped not sunk.

Micro plastics in the ocean is a huge problem the biggest source are developing countries that depend on cheap packaging and have zero waste remediation ie the plastics simply get dumped in to water ways.

jeepgc

Adventurer
@calicamper, please read the article on car tyres a few posts back, cites wind borne particles being the major contributor.

If you haven't already, please read through the thread if you're interested. It's a collection of evolving articles all about microplastics that started a few years back.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
@calicamper, please read the article on car tyres a few posts back, cites wind borne particles being the major contributor.

If you haven't already, please read through the thread if you're interested. It's a collection of evolving articles all about microplastics that started a few years back.

Rubber ie car tires has been known for a long time. The material doesn’t magically disappear. Though many people probably think it does.

jeepgc

Adventurer
The Plastic Myth and the Misunderstood Triangle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles