DIY GuzzleH2O (fill tanks from stream)

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hey all, I am considering trying to DIY a version of a GuzzleH2O (to pull water from a stream). It looks like a really nice setup but at $950 is a bit out of our budget. Unfortunately the compact LED UV sterilizer they use is not available to the general public (I contacted the company and they pointed me to GuzzleH2O). Since this would be a one off I am sure it will not be as slick but should be a bit less expensive. So here is what I have come up with so far.

16Ah LifePO4 battery
Pentek 158111 5" filter housing (would also need the filters, likely a 5 micron as I would refilter onboard)
16W UV Sterilizer up to 3 GPM (a bit bigger than the Guzzle one but the best I could find)
12V Ballast for the above sterilizer
12V battery gauge
On/Off Switch
LifePO4 Battery Charger
Inlet Strainer

Waterproof case (various sizes, will not decide until all components arrive)
Oh, and a 12V DC pump

Now this project would be assembled outside a Home Depot (we are in the truck full time) for the various hoses and connectors needed if I did not already have them. Total cost should be around $400 (but I already own the pump so $300). Any thoughts?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H95R87N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1FTOQJEANUSOR&psc=1

frans

Adventurer
You ‘gotta be nuts’, lol
Are you traveling in such arid areas where this is a concern?
how do you travel for such extended times that you still have fuel, but are out of water??

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
You ‘gotta be nuts’, lol
Are you traveling in such arid areas where this is a concern?
how do you travel for such extended times that you still have fuel, but are out of water??
We carry enough fuel for over 1000 miles. We have 100 gallons of water. Plan is to take the truck around the world. And yup, we are nuts, just sailed a boat around the world and now want to do it by land.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Yes, it is completed. We used it a little in Baja for filling from untreated water taps (though we mostly bought purified water which is easy to get). We're heading to Alaska this summer and think we may be able to use it to pull from streams. Not sure though as we have never been :) . Current rough plan is to ship to South America this coming winter, finally looks like Covid is starting to settle down.

PXL_20210317_180621698.MP.jpg

So, lessons learned. I would skip the small voltage display, not really needed. Also the LED UVC technology and availability seems a little better now, I would look into those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke