Full size van?

rrflyer

Not the normal vehicle but I need more space! Ive got a family of 5 plus a big dog and the full size truck is quickly getting way too cramped.

anyone use a full size Van? mainly we stick to fire roads, ranch roadsand such.

currently have a ram 2500

Thinking a full size van with a rear locker may be an option?

thanks for the help.

nick-v

You might want to check the "4wd (and 2WD) Camper Vans (a.k.a. #vanlife)" forum under the "Expedition campers" section. A lot of cool build out there.

I don't think it is considered full size, but I use an AWD Astro to haul my 4 kids, dog and trailer around. They are getting hard to find (at least here up north) and require a lot of maintenance, but it is still cheaper than any other AWD van. I love mine.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Vans are kinda cramped up front for long trips, great for kids in the back and cargo. A Suburban is always a good choice. Gas Excursions are also getting cheap. Both are available in 4x4 much cheaper than vans.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I've been in a full-sized van since 1972....only way to go as far as I am concerned.

There are a lot of used vans out there on the market. Check out the GM models - some came with all wheel drive. Ford no longer makes the Econoline model like I drive but a lot of the people on here like the Transit vans which are also available in all wheel drive if I'm not mistaken.

MTVR

Five people in a full-sized van would be pretty tough.

For starters, you're gonna need proper seating with proper seatbelts for three of them in the back, which seriously cuts into the amount of space you have remaining to build your "home" in. By the time you build sleeping accommodations for five, you'd have almost no room left for kitchen, bathroom, storage, and so on.

rrflyer

Five people in a full-sized van would be pretty tough.

For starters, you're gonna need proper seating with proper seatbelts for three of them in the back, which seriously cuts into the amount of space you have remaining to build your "home" in. By the time you build sleeping accommodations for five, you'd have almost no room left for kitchen, bathroom, storage, and so on.
Not looking to camp In it, just normal transportation and pull our small camper. 3 kids across and a dog on the floor in a truck is cramped

rrflyer

Vans are kinda cramped up front for long trips, great for kids in the back and cargo. A Suburban is always a good choice. Gas Excursions are also getting cheap. Both are available in 4x4 much cheaper than vans.
I had a 2500 suburban and probably shoulda kept it, but getting to the 3rd row sucked and maintenance was an issue

rrflyer

You might want to check the "4wd (and 2WD) Camper Vans (a.k.a. #vanlife)" forum under the "Expedition campers" section. A lot of cool build out there.

I don't think it is considered full size, but I use an AWD Astro to haul my 4 kids, dog and trailer around. They are getting hard to find (at least here up north) and require a lot of maintenance, but it is still cheaper than any other AWD van. I love mine.
I’ll look, a lot of what I’ve found is people building them into campers and I’m not looking to do that: just as transportation with plenty of elbow and gear room.

dreadlocks

I’ll look, a lot of what I’ve found is people building them into campers and I’m not looking to do that: just as transportation with plenty of elbow and gear room.

Thats good, most Vans converted to campers dont have any payload left for towing anyhow.. one of my first vans was my dads old conversion van, had a high top and big ole captain chairs and back bench electrically folded into a bed.. once we put good tires on it went just about anywhere, was a great people hauler.. might help to be able to toss a kid or two into the van so you dont need such a large trailer with a ton of sleeping either.

Grassland

I own a T250 medium roof transit for work. You would need a Quigley conversion for useful clearance and 4WD. But I find it more comfortable to drive than every E series I ever had. They have a lot of quirks though, like early models having a rubber driveshaft coupling rather than a u joint, water leaking out of the windshield drain holes into electrical harnesses and fuse boxes. Some of these issues have been mitigated.
They have a very tiny OEM tire size of 235/65R16C which is a European C commercial van tire which has next to no options in tires that meet that load rating here. As well, no way to recalculate speedometer for larger size, which don't fit all that well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles