Cab Over Truck Snorkel

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Our LN2 did not come with a snorkel, and I am curious as to how they work with the hood flap. On our truck there is a metal intake beneath the flap that theengine air is pulled in from. I am guessing the snorkels somehow attach to those. Anyone that has a snorkel have time to snap a couple of pictures with the flap up and how the snorkel works with the flap? I am pretty sure I could mold the needed fiberglass base part, but curious on how the factory made the connection and how the flap works with a snorkel installed.

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi Jon. Here's what is on ours.... First pic is the fiberglass outer snorkel itself. It's held to the A pillar by a clamp at the top and nutcerts, and small M8 rubber blocks that are about an inch thik at the bottom (just drilled through strategic points at the base of the cab). Second pic is what connects it to the air filter box. It's a 5-6" diameter plastic type tube that resembles a round accordion! I have the cab half tipped here, and there's enough flex in this tube to probably go around 180 deg. The M8 domed nut at the bottom left of the snorkel in the first pic is attached to the rubber mount. You can see the other end of that mount, it's the M8 nut you can see in the right of the pic on the second pic. Re the flap, ours was moulded with a snorkel in mind. There's a rib inside the grille that has a 'cut' line... Ours has been cut off years ago when the snorkel was fitted, but there is the same cut line on the inside of the grill on the right hand side. If I ever find that elusive right snorkel, I'll be chopping the other side of my grill off too! Hope the pics help.

Snorkel outer.jpg

Snorkel inner.jpg

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hi Jon. Here's what is on ours.... First pic is the fiberglass outer snorkel itself. It's held to the A pillar by a clamp at the top and nutcerts, and small M8 rubber blocks that are about an inch thik at the bottom (just drilled through strategic points at the base of the cab). Second pic is what connects it to the air filter box. It's a 5-6" diameter plastic type tube that resembles a round accordion! I have the cab half tipped here, and there's enough flex in this tube to probably go around 180 deg. The M8 domed nut at the bottom left of the snorkel in the first pic is attached to the rubber mount. You can see the other end of that mount, it's the M8 nut you can see in the right of the pic on the second pic. Re the flap, ours was moulded with a snorkel in mind. There's a rib inside the grille that has a 'cut' line... Ours has been cut off years ago when the snorkel was fitted, but there is the same cut line on the inside of the grill on the right hand side. If I ever find that elusive right snorkel, I'll be chopping the other side of my grill off too! Hope the pics help.

View attachment 602591

View attachment 602592
Thanks Simon, that is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like trucks with the snorkel the flap (hood?) is shorter and the base of the snorkel is fixed. So in order to retro fit one would have to cut the grill portion, mold the bottom box and relocate the flap latch. Is there some sort of water drain in a low point? Never had a truck with a snorkel so wondering what happens with rain that gets in.

pairospam

Observer
Hello, Jon:

It is simpler than you think, as the only thing you have to do is cut the grill and make up the attach points for the snorkel. You do not touch the flap (or whatever name it has).

11099.JPG
11101.JPG
11103.JPG

And, there is no drain point. A few drops can get into the snorkel but the air flow is such that it is difficult for the water to remain liquid and it is aspirated by the engine.

Kind regards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles