mattress for the back of a 4runner?

nomad_games

what are people using for a camping mattress, for those of you that sleep in the back? I had these bamboo mattresses that were great but they got very packed down and are super uncomfortable now. I'm not currently planning on doing a raised platform build. I usually keep the passenger side rear seat set up as a seat while driving, because that's where my dog likes to sit. She's too tall to sit on the mattress if I had full mattress back there full time on a raised platform. hell, she's almost too tall with the seatback down with no pad on it. I need something pretty comfortable, as I'm only about 2 months out from 5 broken ribs and sleeping on anything hard is super uncomfortable.

merrion13

I use an Exped SimComfort Duo 7.5, bottom of 2nd row seats has been removed to make for longer sleeping area and footwells use Rubbermaid Action Pack bins for storage which are perfect height to extend the size of overall cargo area (I'm 6 feet tall). Wife & I have logged about 20 nights with this setup and it works well (rolls up a little near the wheel wells due to width of mattress).

Also have heard that this option is well regarded: https://lunolife.com/products/luno-air-mattress-2-0

alanymarce

We've had two made for us (two different vehicles) - impermeable base, two layers of memory foam with different hysteresis factors, and a bamboo top layer. Excellent! 215 nights so far.

nomad_games

I use an Exped SimComfort Duo 7.5, bottom of 2nd row seats has been removed to make for longer sleeping area and footwells use Rubbermaid Action Pack bins for storage which are perfect height to extend the size of overall cargo area (I'm 6 feet tall). Wife & I have logged about 20 nights with this setup and it works well (rolls up a little near the wheel wells due to width of mattress).

Also have heard that this option is well regarded: https://lunolife.com/products/luno-air-mattress-2-0

thanks. yeah, I have the seat bottom taken out on the side I sleep on. I may have to just take them both out and let my dog get used to not having a seat back to lean against.

I don't like air mattresses. I find them to be cold and noisy. plus dog claws and air mattresses are a bad combo.

alanymarce

Where/how do you get mattresses custom made?
We had ours made by a local (also big) company (Panamericana) which makes mattresses. A bit of luck involved, they are a client of ours. They took a lot of interest in what we were planning to do (where we were going, what the climate would be like, etc.) and made them to our specs, to fit the cabin internal dimensions, and gave them to us for no charge. I'd find a local mattress company near you and get into conversation...

Desert Dan

Explorer
I'd take out the whole backseat and the you can make a flat floor (6 feet long) with head room for you and your dog. I put 2 layers or carpet pad and home depot rug and used different pads for sleeping. IMG_1653.JPGIMG_1654.JPGIMG_1655.JPGIMG_1653.JPGIMG_1654.JPGIMG_1655.JPG

nomad_games

I'd take out the whole backseat and the you can make a flat floor (6 feet long) with head room for you and your dog. I put 2 layers or carpet pad and home depot rug and used different pads for sleeping. View attachment 602346View attachment 602347View attachment 602348View attachment 602346View attachment 602347View attachment 602348

Yeah I’ve thought about doing something like that and putting storage in the floorboards back there. My dog seems to do better with a seatback while we’re driving but maybe she would get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Artisan

Adventurer
We had ours made by a local (also big) company (Panamericana) which makes mattresses. A bit of luck involved, they are a client of ours. They took a lot of interest in what we were planning to do (where we were going, what the climate would be like, etc.) and made them to our specs, to fit the cabin internal dimensions, and gave them to us for no charge. I'd find a local mattress company near you and get into conversation...
Nice I did the same with a co US made, hd organic latex. They sent me a free proto and very happy with it. Offering them with my poptoppers
Kevin

kga1978

I bought a custom mattress from Tochta for my Grand Cherokee and it’s been fantastic. Went all out and got a foldable one so I can easily fold it up and store. Pricey, but definitely worth it.

nomad_games

I bought a custom mattress from Tochta for my Grand Cherokee and it’s been fantastic. Went all out and got a foldable one so I can easily fold it up and store. Pricey, but definitely worth it.

dang. those aren't cheap. but look interesting. I'll look into it, thanks.

Ducstrom

We went to a foam shop and tried a bunch of combos before purchasing some firm 4" foam and a 2" latex topper. They can cut it to what you need and are pretty helpful with foam knowledge.

jhmoore

For one person in a 5th gen 4Runner: remove the second row seat bottoms and find appropriate size bins for the floor wells, then get a queen size 3-inch memory foam mattress topper ($100 at Costco), fold it over itself length-wise and you’ve got a 6-inch comfy bed for one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles