Diff in coleman dual fuel stoves

Kevin108

Explorer
Subscribing. I'm a lantern guy, but the stoves share most of the same tech. I've had maybe a hundred lanterns and 20 stoves over the last few years. I buy, sell, fix, and trade GPAs and have learned a ton from http://colemancollectorsforum.com and https://www.facebook.com/groups/122312681132381/ My lanterns range from 1942 - 2015 and my stoves from 1965 - 2005.

When we camp, I carry a 2-burner and a 1-burner backup. I also carry 2 gallons of Coleman fuel. In a pinch, you can dump it in the gas tank. It's lower octane than pump gas, but the only additive is a rust inhibitor. I've burned old stuff dumped out of used lanterns and run through a Brita filter in my lawnmower for the last couple years.

Back on topic: yes, the Dual Fuel product will run on gas, but you will have to replace the generators far more often and deal with more fumes (burning gas smells like car exhaust) and grossness (all the additives are bad for you and the equipment) than if you run straight Coleman fuel. Current prices are between $5 and $14 a gallon, with it typically being cheaper at Walmart. Other camp fuels are comparable and can likely be had cheaper than Coleman stuff. Gas also gunks up generators a lot faster. By the time you've replaced a generator, the savings of using gas have largely disappeared.

Billy "Auctionthat" on eBay is a great source for gas cap seals, mantles, generators, and general info. http://www.ebay.com/usr/auctionthat He's local to me and where I buy all my parts.

Coleman stuff will run great even if everything isn't 100%. Failures are unusual but the components that fail are predictable. Spare parts are affordable and readily available. Accessories are innumerable. It's great gear.

2015-10-11%2011.13.28.jpg

2015-10-11%2011.11.25.jpg

Kevin108

Explorer
That Sir is quite a collection.
Thanks! I just keep the stuff I actually use and the stuff with sentimental involvement. The real collectors will have shelves surrounding a room with only the same model. One guy has barns full! (Yes, barns, and he still bought two from me.) My collection is quite tame in comparison.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
So...reviving yet again. The OP asked the difference of the dual fuel versus (I believe) the CF fuel model. Although, there’s been a ton of great, great info here...I don’t think the question was fully answered?
What is the difference between the two stoves? Is it just the generator (by generator, I mean the pipe from the tank to the burner)?

robert

Expedition Leader
Yep, answered on the first page. From Andrew's first post "The dual fuel models have a bigger more clog resistant generator, because regular unleaded gas produces more carbon inside the generator of the stove. White gas or Naptha burns cleaner and is recommended even for routine use in a Dual Fuel."

Coleman fuel is just naphtha or "light petroleum distillates". I had a screen capture of the MSDS on my computer but I can't find it at the moment. You can buy generic naptha from paint stores and I've heard of people taking a gallon gas can to auto body places and buying it off them since they buy it in bulk to wipe down surfaces.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply ?. Yes I saw that but, I didn’t think it answered the question 100%?
so the generator is the ONLY difference? The burners and everything else is the same (and of course the tank color)?

robert

Expedition Leader
Honestly, I don't know. I seem to recall reading that was the only difference on one of the Coleman forums but that was some years ago so I can't confirm it. Check out of the forums listed though, some of those guys could probably tell you the difference in paint codes, bend angles on the fuel tank tabs, etc. They really, really get into them.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
So...reviving yet again. The OP asked the difference of the dual fuel versus (I believe) the CF fuel model. Although, there’s been a ton of great, great info here...I don’t think the question was fully answered?
What is the difference between the two stoves? Is it just the generator (by generator, I mean the pipe from the tank to the burner)?
We converted to propane years ago. Bouncing around in a Landcruiser with a gallon of white gas in the back was spooky at best. Plus propane is widely available down there.

jerdog53

Explorer
Coleman fuel is just naphtha or "light petroleum distillates". I had a screen capture of the MSDS on my computer but I can't find it at the moment. You can buy generic naptha from paint stores and I've heard of people taking a gallon gas can to auto body places and buying it off them since they buy it in bulk to wipe down surfaces.

I was under the impression that Naptha was white gas but never took the time to completely research it.

Thank you!

85_Ranger4x4

Here are the parts diagrams for both stoves:

A quick glance between the 424 (duel fuel) and 425F (Coleman fuel) looks like they changed a lot of stuff, might check what subs around and see if maybe the 424 was based on a older stove (like an E) and didn't follow the 425's exact evolution.

I have heard of people changing the generator to convert them since that is all that really gives trouble but it looks like they tweaked other things to maximize performance.

Coleman LOVED to tweak things...

413/414 (the bigger two burner models) may vary differently too.

Aside from a single dual fuel lantern I only have Coleman fuel stuff so I don't really know.

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer

Heading Out

Adventurer
Great thread on Great stoves, I have the stove I camped with as a kid in the mid 60's

Bought new by my folks, it needed the cap rubber replaced is all, I run it on only white gas.
Fires every time, still have the OG box. Feels good to cook on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles