Bathroom Trailer?

vwhammer

Adventurer
This may sound silly but I have been tossing around the idea of building a small collapsible trailer to pull behind my van that would have a toilet and shower set up in it.
By "collapsible" I mean it would be about 4 feet tall in on-the-road mode and would pop up to 7 or 8 feet in camp mode.
I would like it to be hard sided and insulated as I plan to heat and cool it using the vans in-camp systems.
I think all in it would be ideal if it weighed less than 1000lbs.
I am thinking something in the 4 foot by 6 foot range would be adequate.

The only thing I found with a quick search online was either those big multi-toilet trailers that one might see at a concert or other such event and this thing.
zTDUgkK.jpg

Don't know if I would make mine quite that nice but you get the idea.

I have no real issues with doing my sinful business in the woods but my wife does not care for it so much and also does not care for campground toilets as many lack any real privacy and that's just not her thing (mine either really).

I also would not mind having my own place to clean up properly while staying longer in more remote places.

I know a lot of people just bring those pop up tent things and a little portable toilet and shower.
This might work for better weather but trying to take a shower in one of those things when its 90 degrees and 85% humidity would be an exercise in futility.

Anyone on here ever attempt such a thing?

dreadlocks

This might work for better weather but trying to take a shower in one of those things when its 90 degrees and 85% humidity would be an exercise in futility.

So whats the logic behind getting in a rigid box thats well over ambient and 100% humidity in that case then? I'm failing to see your point here.. you gonna put an aircon on yer wagbox?

Generally the idea w/those tents is privacy for using the loo.. if its like hot as hell and humid as hell, toss on the bathing suit and just shower outside.

Last edited by a moderator:

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
No matter where you shower when it's over 90 * and high humidity it's useless! Well at least you won't stink for a few minuets anyway ... LOL

dreadlocks

A traveling hot tub would be worth it

Ive got an inflatable kiddy pool already, just needa get me that LP water heater and I'm in business... seriously tho, its on a big concrete slab so even tho its in the sun all day long the water is still cold as hell, dunno how the kids tolerate it.. one of the justifications for a portable LP heater was I could stop running a hose through the house and emptying my house heater like 4-5 times only for it to be freezing again a few days.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
How much time do you spend on the can that you need that space to be heated and cooled?

Serious question. There's "comfort while roughing it", then there's "ridiculous expenditure of resources for limited gain". For comfort, especially in the middle of the night, we carry a PortaPotti in our van, but with three people it get's maybe 30 minutes of usage per day, max. Probably closer to 15 minutes. Hard to justify any significant weight, expense, or hassle for something that literally consumes 1/3 of 1% of our day.

billiebob

This may sound silly but I have been tossing around the idea of building a small collapsible trailer to pull behind my van that would have a toilet and shower set up in it.
By "collapsible" I mean it would be about 4 feet tall in on-the-road mode and would pop up to 7 or 8 feet in camp mode.
I would like it to be hard sided and insulated as I plan to heat and cool it using the vans in-camp systems.
I think all in it would be ideal if it weighed less than 1000lbs.
I am thinking something in the 4 foot by 6 foot range would be adequate.

The only thing I found with a quick search online was either those big multi-toilet trailers that one might see at a concert or other such event and this thing.
zTDUgkK.jpg

Don't know if I would make mine quite that nice but you get the idea.

I have no real issues with doing my sinful business in the woods but my wife does not care for it so much and also does not care for campground toilets as many lack any real privacy and that's just not her thing (mine either really).

I also would not mind having my own place to clean up properly while staying longer in more remote places.

I know a lot of people just bring those pop up tent things and a little portable toilet and shower.

Anyone on here ever attempt such a thing?
This would be fabulous for 3-4 Overlanders in a convoy. One guy tows the toilet.

billiebob

How much time do you spend on the can that you need that space to be heated and cooled?
one minute is too much.

I always find a land based toilet. Road side pull outs, restaurants, gas bars. I have never carried a pooper. For me, this would be the bare minimum. I hate how tiny and stinky RV toilets are.

Yep that trailer would be a must have if there were no facilities on route.

1980toy-v8

I have seriously considered building one in the past. Have it fully self contained, 4x8 front six feet as a bathroom with shower, sink, toilet, water heater in a cabinet etc.
Back 2 feet separated by a solid wall open the barn doors to a galley kitchen with sink and stove.
I cook and pit for my group of buddies that race dirt track cars some of the tracks we go to we are pitted a ways from the facilities and they are rarely clean anyway. It would be nice to have especially when the wives and kids are all there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles