Storage/sleeping platform: sourcing FRP honeycomb panels?

djm68

Observer
I am building a storage platform for my '12 Tacoma, similar to what is shown in the two attached pics (not my truck). I used a similar setup for a 2+ week trip to Baja in 2018, though mine was made with 2" x 6" cross supports and 1/2" plywood. Super simple solution, works well, but is quite heavy. I want to build basically the same thing but use FRP honeycomb panel to replace the heavy plywood sheet. I am able to find FRP panel, but nothing larger than 24" x 48".

Can anyone suggest a source for FRP panels in larger dimensions? Other ideas?

Thanks,
DJM

Attachments

• 83FD1915-CEDC-4161-A860-1B17219AEA3C.jpg
    83FD1915-CEDC-4161-A860-1B17219AEA3C.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 50D3EAD1-F23C-472D-AF79-2ACD27FB1C19.jpg
    50D3EAD1-F23C-472D-AF79-2ACD27FB1C19.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 79

Choff

Adventurer
Also try a local glass shop, some will do composite panels and may be able to order a sheet of frp panel for you.
Or, local sheet metal shops that make composite wall panels, they may have some drops for cheap

rruff

Explorer
Can anyone suggest a source for FRP panels in larger dimensions? Other ideas?

Carbon Core sells Nidacore clone panels. The price is fine but you'd get hit on shipping.

If you can get at least 15psi 3/4 foam from a local building store, that will work for a core. 1/8" luan or similar for skins. Make a simple frame with 1x2s for the edge and where the sheets join. Texture the foam and slather on PLPremium. Works great, I've done it.

Last edited by a moderator:

djm68

Observer
Carbon Core sells Nidacore clone panels. The price is fine but you'd get raped on shipping.

If you can get at least 15psi 3/4 foam from a local building store, that will work for a core. 1/8" luan or similar for skins. Make a simple frame with 1x2s for the edge and where the sheets join. Texture the foam and slather on PLPremium. Works great, I've done it.

Talked to carbon core, panel was roughly $200 shipping was totally insane...something like $300-400. Ultimately, I've decided to use 1/2" maple plywood which is fairly light (32lbs for a 4'x8' sheet), and some light weight aluminum profile for supports I will have a strong platform that comes in around 30 lbs, and it's cheap...maybe $150 all told.

Cheers,
DJM

rruff

Explorer
I will have a strong platform that comes in around 30 lbs, and it's cheap

Simple and cheap are good!

Skin PMF like a foamie.

I built samples and tested them and was not impressed. It's light years from fiberglass, even at the same weight. Poor penetration resistance and stiffness, and with a constant load it creeps badly and keeps on creeping.

john61ct

Adventurer
Good points.

Somewhere I'd laid out an idea based on those poly greenhouse grid bench panels, can't find it now. . .

Dave in AZ

Those 5 panels at lowes are only 0.09" thick... they are just a skin, not a structural sandwich, from what I'm seeing?

rruff

Explorer
You'd need to glue them to a foam core... and they probably aren't very stiff. The CarbonCore PP hex core panels are pretty nice, but shipping in small quantities is prohibitive. What are the details of your design?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles