Portable Charcoal Grills

heinphoto

i like that - wonder if there is room on top of the propane spreader plate to allow some lava rocks? more even heat and better smoke flavour.....
I think there should be, and I have actually contemplated that idea myself.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

ricoisme26

I have a Coleman version of this but think this is a better product, grill, griddle and single burner all in a nicely wrapped kit.

I think something like this will be what i ultimately move too, i was just thinking out loud since i had charcoal at home and could could get the small portable charcoal grill for a couple bucks. So far it has worked well for me, I'm in PA and I couldn't tell you the last time i saw a fire ban here as some have mentioned being a concern.

robert

Expedition Leader
I sometimes carry one of the "attache case" folding style grills that I picked up on sale at Sears (tells you how old it is). It looks about like this ( https://www.amazon.com/Ledeak-Barbecue-Stainless-Ultralight-Backpacking/dp/B07V32JGJY) and folds to fit in its carrying case. It'll work with sticks/split pieces of wood or charcoal and while I wouldn't bother with it for a quick meal, it's not hard to get charcoal going if you carry a torch. I've got one that screws onto butane cartridges and one that screws onto propane cylinders depending on which I happen to be carrying at the time. Usually I just let it burn out, otherwise I just dump water on them, ala Smokey bear; no big deal since we don't have many fire bans.

Photobug

Here is what I have, although mine is an older one green in color. I can't vouch for this model but mine has been with me over a decade. Cook hot dogs on one side and then toast buns heat chili or side dish on the burner. Breakfast can have a bagel toasting on the grill and heat tea on the burner.

Coleman is cheaper than the Camp Chef.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camp...l+stove&qid=1596143107&sr=8-2&tag=googhydr-20

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Fire bans are the norm on the west side of the country, especially in AZ where I live. For charcoal and/or wood you need water to extinguish properly. (Your urine won't be nearly enough!)
California has gone all the way to requiring an annual online class and test to get a permit for any fire, even propane!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
^^^^^^^^^

Long before all the uber expensive expo grills came out you had the original Coleman Deluxe grill/stove combo. Ours is probably 15 years old and has cooked hundreds of meals from the gulf coast , to the east coast, to the west coast and most places in betweeen. It's beat hell, but we still use it every year. Still has the original grill, hardware and case. I see the original green ones pop up on CL from time to time for not too much and may pick one up for parts. Not sure how the newer version is since this one is still going strong. Good luck!

76CF4FEA-A1DD-48D3-8E76-61B155CABDBC.jpeg

Photobug

^^^^^^^^^

Long before all the uber expensive expo grills came out you had the original Coleman Deluxe grill/stove combo.

View attachment 602119

Thats what I go also, my original disappeared on an adventure that ended up awry (sailboat race). So about 17 years ago after using that one for a decade I bought my current one. It's still rocking. I did have to replace the stem on one of the two I have owned. I would by it again if it came to it, but Camp Chef claims 20k burner temp which would be nice if cooking for more than 2 people.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We bought this one in Germany https://skotti-grill.eu/#videos
All stainless steel. You can run it as a fire pit, Bbq with charcoal or BBQ with propane. Folds neatly away in a carry case. At home, put it in the dishwasher and you are good. We use it all the time.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Here is what I have, although mine is an older one green in color. I can't vouch for this model but mine has been with me over a decade. Cook hot dogs on one side and then toast buns heat chili or side dish on the burner. Breakfast can have a bagel toasting on the grill and heat tea on the burner.

Coleman is cheaper than the Camp Chef.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camp...l+stove&qid=1596143107&sr=8-2&tag=googhydr-20
Those are a pretty good compromise setup. If we're camping local I bring our Smokey Joe Jr. Hardly stowable but dang it cooks steaks well. I use the coals to light up the fire with.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Fire bans are the norm on the west side of the country, especially in AZ where I live. For charcoal and/or wood you need water to extinguish properly. (Your urine won't be nearly enough!)
California has gone all the way to requiring an annual online class and test to get a permit for any fire, even propane!
Good show. Now if Mother Nature would cooperate and cease the lightning strikes. Hot,hot and dry this weekend.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
UCO makes a flatpack grill. It comes in two sizes and I just picked up the small one for my next moto trip. I tend to do a couple of LNT fires/grill if the location lends itself to it (plus no fire ban) and I'm hoping this grill will make it easier then sourcing flat rocks and breaking down the firepit in the morning to return the area to normal. Good luck!

View attachment 600949View attachment 600950View attachment 600951View attachment 600952View attachment 600953
That's a slab!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles