Are 285s worth it?? Update

4runnerteq

Explorer
Been running 285/75s on my 3rd gen 4Runner for about 5 years. It's our camping, local trail truck. Has Sonoran Steel 1.2A lift. The 3.4 is an awesome engine, but 3rd gens are slugs even in stock form. Add some heavy 285s and I just don't know about being a daily anymore. Again, I don't have to use that way. Maybe 7k miles a year now days. Has 226k on it. She's getting tired though and about due for new tires. Leaning to 265/75s this time. Rear diff is getting a little noisy, so may not be long til a new one. If I were to still run 285s I'd definitely do a regear at that time, but then have to add the expense of the front as well. And I run spacers on the front, which I hate, and could get rid of with 265s. 285s look great, but, the loss of fuel mileage, wear on the truck, expense of additional mods to regain power, (one mod always leads to another). Just not sure I'd go that route again.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
285’s are big thats what I ran on my stock J80. In that case they fit the truck and were about a 1mpg hit. A 4runner? Unless your going down rocky trails etc I don’t see any advantage on a tired 4runner. My new rig came stock with 285’s lol

roving1

Not to be an ass but why wait 5 years to do something about it? The time to re-gear was 5 years ago.

The way I see it it is strictly about money. Re-gearing would be beneficial no matter what size tires you run so re-gearing for the bigger tires is moot. But if you don't want to spend the money or you are not keeping the truck then don't.

After finally re-gearing a few vehicles properly to overall ratios a bit higher than stock I swore I would never put bigger tires on something until had the money to do both. It makes that big a difference in the every day driving of the vehicle. But like I also said there is often no comparison even with the bigger tires and re-gearing vs stock tires and factory ratios.

My last truck came stock with 4:10's and 30.5 " tires. Going to 32" and 4:56 completely transformed the vehicle since the overall ratio was better than stock. The numbers don't look like much difference but the ease of driving and maintaining hill speed was absolutely night and day different and better than stock gears and stock tires.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Tire and wheel weight have a lot to do with mpg and performance and is often overlooked by people . There is a world of difference in a AT tire on a aluminum rim and a MT in the same size on a steel rim .

grogie

Like to Camp
I took a Jeep from essentially 265s to 285s, and lost 2+ mpg (which was a 15% decrease), which just furthers that trip planning includes gas stations. I have a new Tacoma that I'll only go from 265/70 to 265/75... I have already told myself that I won't be going to 285s.

If you really like 285s, anyway to decrease weight in other ways...Like removing heavy bumpers, not bring as much camping gear with you? I've kept my Jeep light in other ways, however as said, mpg was still a huge hit percentage wise.

bkg

Explorer
how many of you are doing corrected math on the mileage? Just curious.

4.88's or 5.29's and 285/75-16 is a great combo. I have 4.88's in both my 3rd gen 4runner and 1st gen doublecab and wouldn't hesitate to do 5.29's...

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I stuck with stock 265/75R16s on my FJ Cruiser for that reason. It is my DD as well as trail rig and I was unwilling to lose the power and gain the mpg penalty of heavier tires. I also run load range C tires instead of E to keep them lighter. Doesn't look as cool but I am old enough not to be bothered by that.

Smileyshaun

Observer
On my sequoia I went 255/85 and stuck with aluminum rims and was still able to get 17-18 on the hwy and about 15 around town .
03D63A1C-86E8-42A4-B0C0-AA5AF0EF7DE2.jpeg

On my xterra I went 315/75 but went with the skinniest and lightest 315 I could find and paired with lighter aluminum rims only saw a 2mpg drop . Plus being a skinner 315 I was able to squeeze it on with only a 2” lift . BDC8B994-26CB-410F-A679-3A7D70E895B1.jpeg

If you are smart about your tire choices you can keep good mpg while still giving you more tire to cushion those off-road bumps .

My next tire will be a 35x10.50 so I get that hight but don’t have to deal with all the clearance issues and can keep the lift minamal .

4runnerteq

Explorer
Not to be an ass but why wait 5 years to do something about it? The time to re-gear was 5 years ago.

The way I see it it is strictly about money. Re-gearing would be beneficial no matter what size tires you run so re-gearing for the bigger tires is moot. But if you don't want to spend the money or you are not keeping the truck then don't.

As stated, I only drive it 5k-7k miles a year. It is about money. One mod always leads to another. Bigger tires and lifts and weight take a toll on the longevity of the vehicle. If it weren't about money it would already have new 285s, 4.88s and maybe even a reman supercharged 3.4. Had this truck for 18 years and have no intention of getting rid of it. I'm debating with myself on which way I want to go when it's time for new rubber. Pretty likely I'll go back with 285s. Xoverland is doing up a 3rd gen and talking about 235/85/16s. Seems interesting also. Have to see how that works out.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
On my sequoia I went 255/85 and stuck with aluminum rims and was still able to get 17-18 on the hwy and about 15 around town .
View attachment 602099

On my xterra I went 315/75 but went with the skinniest and lightest 315 I could find and paired with lighter aluminum rims only saw a 2mpg drop . Plus being a skinner 315 I was able to squeeze it on with only a 2” lift . View attachment 602100

If you are smart about your tire choices you can keep good mpg while still giving you more tire to cushion those off-road bumps .

My next tire will be a 35x10.50 so I get that hight but don’t have to deal with all the clearance issues and can keep the lift minamal .
You must drive the Sequoia slow. My 07 with 100,000 mi on stock tires is 13-15 in town and typically 15-16 on road trips. 6 days at 45mph in Yellowstone I had 1 tank at 23mpg?. Have never seen 18mpg average tank except once with a tail wind flat country.

roving1

As stated, I only drive it 5k-7k miles a year. It is about money. One mod always leads to another. Bigger tires and lifts and weight take a toll on the longevity of the vehicle. If it weren't about money it would already have new 285s, 4.88s and maybe even a reman supercharged 3.4. Had this truck for 18 years and have no intention of getting rid of it. I'm debating with myself on which way I want to go when it's time for new rubber. Pretty likely I'll go back with 285s. Xoverland is doing up a 3rd gen and talking about 235/85/16s. Seems interesting also. Have to see how that works out.

Well I am super happy with 235/85/16 but I still regeared or it would have been a dog. Before I screwed up the aero with further mods I actually picked up 2 MPG going to skinny 32s and 4:56.

It's a tough choice. Toyotas auto trans gearing is horrificly bad even stock. They just don't work well with even a slightly bigger than stock tire size.

I would just save up and re-gear for whatever final tire size you want to go with. Every single drive will be more satisfying and less stressful.

In the case of skinny tires I think they go a long way for not adding too much weight or wear and tear on the truck.

IMG_20190914_024335-1.jpg

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Our 5th Gen has the stock 265s on 17s and I was debating going up to 285s. I know I'd be smarter if I just kept stock since It's the classic, Well while you're at it.... Increase tire size to 34", then regear front and rear, then add front and rear air lockers (since' you're already in there), then add a compressor for them, then new switches and panels to make it look clean and be easy to manipulate, then!..... Yeah it just starts to add up too quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles