New Defender News

DieselRanger

Man I hate changing my Spark Plugs. ???
O/T: You laugh but that's literally the reason I dumped my 2005 Subaru Outback XT at 90,000 miles. The flat-four had about 4 inches of clearance between the wheel well and the engine...couldn't even get a plug socket down there, never mind a socket extender. I called the dealer and they said, yeah, you have to drop the engine to change the spark plugs. I asked how much and they said, $500.

DieselRanger

I need the Grand Tour to do Hammond in a 2016, Clarkson in a 2020 and May in a Rubicon!!! Across the Rubicon Trail!!!

Or maybe the spice road with a New Defender, Gladiator, and a Bronco.
That would be good...Hammond would have to be in the Bronco since he's a Mustang fan. Clarkson's got three Range Rovers including a Classic with an LS swap so he would have to get the 2016. May would get the 2020 because he would have to explain the tech and put everyone else asleep. The episode writes itself....

Carson G

Mine takes literally no time at all. It's a diesel. ??
True till you have to do injectors. Or an injector pump. I’ve worked on a lot of diesels in farm equipment and they can be a royal PITA at times. As an expedition vehicle I’d rather have a more basic EFI engine than any diesel.

DieselRanger

True till you have to do injectors. Or an injector pump. I’ve worked on a lot of diesels in farm equipment and they can be a royal PITA at times. As an expedition vehicle I’d rather have a more basic EFI engine than any diesel.
Ain't gonna be any easier in the 2.7L EcoBoost on the Bronco. Direct injection is direct injection, doesn't matter what flavor of dinosaur juice is flowing through the veins. Both use high pressure fuel pumps. Just make sure you're keeping up with your maintenance, not mainlining pure biodiesel, and they're very reliable.

soflorovers

I saw this, but Dad bags it. Likely because the dealer told them if they ding it they buy it. I posted it but then deleted it because ultimately it's a lame video. Another recent video of a Touareg vs the Disco, the Touareg won. I think the Touareg was on coils.

I want to see a head to head comparo of a 1997 Defender, as stock as possible, against a new stock Defender. Top Gear will over-produce it if and when they do one and TG is mostly car drama anyway, Grand Tour has moved away from car reviews...not many real produced automotive programs any more that will give them a true head to head. And in the US, there likely aren't many people who have a stock 1997 Defender in mint condition they would be willing to take on a hard trail anyway.

So we'll have to wait for some drunk Eastern European dudes to post something on the internet I guess....
Doug DeMuro went off road with his NAS 90 a few years ago with some guys from his local dealer. The local dealer guys were using an L464 V8 Supercharged with 21" wheels, but with dual lockers. While DD struggles to engage the CDL on a few occasions, his video surprisingly covered the individual strengths of each vehicle. Obviously, a triple locked NAS D90 will be a superior trail rig due to it's size. However, modern LRs are some of the most capable turn-key vehicles available today. In that regard, a comparison between a new D110 and an older NAS 90 will have the new D110 coming out on top in every single measurable category if you equip the new D110 with the center and rear lockers.

ChasingOurTrunks

Local guy took his P400 off-road:

drag race against a G350

It’s a short clip, but the Defender seems to tackle that hill with a lot less drama than the 100 series ahead of him. I would love to see an extended side-by-side comparison from a private party (i.e. non-dealer or manufacturer affiliated).

The second video you posted has a typo in it — you refer to it as a “drag race”, and yet the video I saw was a Defender doing a 1/4 mile time trial, with some other car somewhere in the distance....;) (I tease, Great vid — and holy cow that P400 moved quick for a big off-roader!)

Carson G

Ain't gonna be any easier in the 2.7L EcoBoost on the Bronco. Direct injection is direct injection, doesn't matter what flavor of dinosaur juice is flowing through the veins. Both use high pressure fuel pumps. Just make sure you're keeping up with your maintenance, not mainlining pure biodiesel, and they're very reliable.
I was referring to my 4.0sohc in my D3. It’s a pretty simple engine that doesn’t really care what you run through it. In a remote situation with potentially questionable gas or diesel a simple non DI gas engine is probably the way to go. However as a daily or for use in most developed countries a modern diesel and will probably be fine but IMO the gas engine will still be more forgiving in a pinch.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Hmm....................................

Tata Taps Former Renault Chief Bolloré To Put Out Jaguar Land Rover Bonfire

Former Renault chief executive officer Thierry Bolloré will take over at the Tata-owned Jaguar Land Rover in September.

Bolloré will replace JLR’s 10-year CEO, Sir Ralf Speth, who will take the role of non-executive Vice-Chairman.

He takes over a JLR in clear crisis, with Land Rover embarrassingly outperforming the struggling Jaguar brand and both losing money.

Hard hit by the Covid-19 pandemic when its sales and market share were declining even in good trading conditions, JLR has enormous manufacturing overcapacity and a proliferation of vehicle platforms............."

This feels like a temporary CEO brought in to restructure and clean house

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Should be an interesting 4Q/1Q for JLR

Who is Jaguar Land Rover’s new boss and what does he need to do?
CoventryLive talks to Dr Charles Tennant on where the Coventry car maker might go from here
"........CoventryLive spoke to automotive industry expert Charles Tennant about Mr Bolloré’s appointment and what he needs to do.

Mr Tennant was formerly chief engineer at Land Rover and also held senior roles at Tata Technologies and WMG at the University of Warwick.

......CT: “In Ralf Speth’s tenure JLR followed a very ambitious “dash for growth strategy” with a bulging product plan doubling production to over 600,000 vehicles per year and expanding production and engineering capacity from 16,000 employees to 40,000 in a relatively short period of time of five years.

“Some analysts observed that Speth was attempting to emulate his former company BMW in terms of scale and market coverage, and at first with annual profits of £2.5 billion it seemed possible.

“But the good times didn’t last and ambitions of a million plus sales per year were thwarted by heavy competition, a confusing and overlapping product plan of competing vehicles within the JLR portfolio, and poor quality and reliability.

“Then coronavirus decimated the automotive industry, but the problems at JLR were already brewing with a hat trick of sales decline over the past three years, and huge losses to boot. ...........

.......“I am sure that Mr Bolloré will spend his first few weeks in the job carrying out his own careful assessment of the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats; before tearing up the current business strategy and product plan.

“He really ought to conduct a thorough product line analysis to evaluate the financial contribution of each of JLR’s 14 vehicles across the two brands currently using an excessive five platforms. "

Carson G

Hmm....................................

Tata Taps Former Renault Chief Bolloré To Put Out Jaguar Land Rover Bonfire

Former Renault chief executive officer Thierry Bolloré will take over at the Tata-owned Jaguar Land Rover in September.

Bolloré will replace JLR’s 10-year CEO, Sir Ralf Speth, who will take the role of non-executive Vice-Chairman.

He takes over a JLR in clear crisis, with Land Rover embarrassingly outperforming the struggling Jaguar brand and both losing money.

Hard hit by the Covid-19 pandemic when its sales and market share were declining even in good trading conditions, JLR has enormous manufacturing overcapacity and a proliferation of vehicle platforms............."

This feels like a temporary CEO brought in to restructure and clean house
Not necessarily a bad thing from what I’ve heard the guy is crazy about QC. IMO if JLR scaled back down a good bit and really went after quality they could really turn this around IMO.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Land Rover would do good to stop robing itself of Money and cut the Fat. Drop the RR Sport, the Evoque, and Disco Sport.
The Line would be much Stronger with Just the Range Rover, Velar, Discovery, and the Defender 2. They have too many SUVs stealing sales from each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94