2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I have the same steps on my camper. They work great. I would consider a guard to protect the steps from debris off rear tire.
Also, can you post more pictures of your sub frame and mounts.

Glad to hear!

Yeah, the rear fenders i am designing will incorporate a guard to protect the steps from debris from tire and such.

Subframe isn't quite done yet, and still needs a little work, and clean up. Should be ready for powdercoat by monday i am hoping.

Tons of pics and video to come, once its done.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Awesome work man. U got skills.

Thanks Man!

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a welder, and the bulk of the metal fabrication is NOT my work, other than ideas and rough design. All the mechanical stuff, suspension, etc is though.

Although i can get 2 pieces of metal to stick together in a pinch, i prefer the expertise of others when it comes to welding anything of importance, especially anything that has to do with structure! :)

I've tried and tried and tried, but its just not my thing. Luckily i live in the mecca of the fabrication world though, so ample folks can do it easily, and i am happy to pay them for it.

Last edited:

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
See I can get two pieces of metal to stick together, just don't ask them to withstand extreme loads, such as a gentle breeze, or possibly a sneeze. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I need to take a welding course I think.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Subframe is FINALLY done! Woohoo!

This turned out to be quite an ordeal for a ton of different reasons. I wasn't really allowed to hang out in the shop during the build due to Covid. Which i understand and fully respect. Yet this drove me freaking bonkers :p

Hands down, this is the biggest portion of any of my builds that someone else did for me that i wasn't really hands on involved in, and for those of you that usually build your own stuff, you know what i mean, it was a bit maddening! :)

Not having the truck in the shop during the build (its huge and took up basically all the room) complicated this tremendously with lots of little minor things that popped up along the way. Eventually got it done, and only some minor tweaking and adjustments were needed.

Overall, mostly super stoked with it. Not stoked on the bumper/subframe being completely welded together and all one huge piece.

This is partially my fault, as i didnt catch it during the design phase. When looking at drawings and stuff, the large 3 holes on the bumper, i assumed were for large bolts, they were for plug welds. I didnt learn this until it was almost done, and past the point of no return so i just went with it. Looking back, i probably should of opened my mouth and been adamant i wanted them separate pieces. Oh Well, it is what it is.

Got a lot of pics in various stages, so this will probably take up 3-4 posts:

YouTube video with a lot more details will probably be later tonight or tomorrow.

ECP Powdercoat in El Cajon did an amazing job, and i had the whole thing powdercoated to match the Buckstop front bumper. Check them out: https://www.ecppowdercoatinginc.com/

SUBFRAMEDONEFORUM.jpg
subframedone1_forum.jpg
subframedone2_FORUM.jpg
subframedone3_FORUM.jpg
subframedone4_FORUM.jpg
subframedone5_FORUM.jpg

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Only weird unexpected hang up i have now is the front fuel tank filler hose.

The cab and chassis give you a kit when you buy the truck with long lengths of hose you cut to fit, and when i tried to give it an extra few inches (thats what she said) to allow for the flexing/movement, the hose immediately kinks.

I am going to try a few local places to see if they have hoses that are a bit more forgiving.

So far, so good

Ninelitetrip

The cab and chassis give you a kit when you buy the truck with long lengths of hose you cut to fit, and when i tried to give it an extra few inches (thats what she said) to allow for the flexing/movement, the hose immediately kinks.

I am going to try a few local places to see if they have hoses that are a bit more forgiving.

So far, so good

Wow, that looks great. Making progress.

danneskjold

So far, so good

Subframe looks gooooooooood.

For the hose, why not just metal pipe? That’s how my filler is on my flatbed.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Subframe looks gooooooooood.

For the hose, why not just metal pipe? That’s how my filler is on my flatbed.

Thanks Man

Rigid pipe wouldnt work for this. The front of the subframe where it flexes the most is right about where the filler neck sits. It needs to be able to move a decent amount.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Looks good bud.

Have you tried fueling it up yet?

Having lived with a few custom flatbeds with rail mounted fillers, I fear you may have trouble fueling.
Both Ford though, that have tanks that sit pretty high, making the slope very shallow.

Since learning that lesson, I always opt for an elevated filler, built into the head-board if possible.
Not always possible though.....

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Looks good bud.

Have you tried fueling it up yet?

Having lived with a few custom flatbeds with rail mounted fillers, I fear you may have trouble fueling.
Both Ford though, that have tanks that sit pretty high, making the slope very shallow.

Since learning that lesson, I always opt for an elevated filler, built into the head-board if possible.
Not always possible though.....

Hilarious Timing!!!

I was probably at the station testing this while you typed it.

YES, after learning this the hard way on the Tundra builds, this was definitely taken into consideration.

The Ram body builders guide actually lists the angle range to work properly with the pumps. I forgot what it was, but we set these right in the middle of the “safe range”

Both tanks took fuel from the pumps at full speed without issue.

It was a giant sigh of relief actually. This because a nightmare with my Tundra!

Valid point you bring up and hopefully others doing similar remember this

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles