1987 toyota pickup

jgallo1

Adventurer
I found a deal on a really nice low mile 1987 pickup that I could not pass up. Here is the story of the new truck, (still figuring out its name).
The truck is a one owner from Oregon, and in amazing shape with only 106k on it.
It has a few blemishes and needs some interior work but the frame and the paint are in great shape.
Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 5.53.49 PM.png

jgallo1

Adventurer
That was when I picked it up.
I got to work pretty fast on a few things.

Here is what it needed:
shocks, leafs, bushings, steering stabilizer.
carpet and seat need to be re-worked.
dash light bulb is out
AC is shot going with R112
battery, battery terminals, and cables
timing belt and guides. (LC engineering kit with metal guides is on its way).
radio and speakers.
windshield wiper fluid not working.

I brought the truck into my local mechanic last week, and they flushed all the fluids. Mounted set of 31x10.5 x 15 Yokohama Geolander for me.

Over the last couple days, I changed the shocks to bilstein 4600 hd's
Installed NGK spark plugs and wires.
New AGM Deep cycle battery
New dash bulb. Also solved the taillight problem as well
New battery terminals and lines.
Still trying to figure out the windshield wiper fluid situation.
waiting for my sound deadner / installation & carpert kit to show up.
Also cleaned the engine.

Here is what it looks like now.

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3207.jpgIMG_3204.jpg

Looking forward to new leafs.
The lean is not as bad as it looks. My driveway is sloped right where the trucks sits.

phsycle

Adventurer
Holy mint. I’ve never seen one within the last 10 years without at least a rust bubble by the rear fender flare. Nice score.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Fantastic shape, wow, just wow!!! By far my favorite part is the topper, I am definitely going to follow along with this one. Care to share what you scored it for?

VanWaLife

Wow! That is the cleanest 80's PU I've seen for maybe ever. 31's are a good choice. I strongly recommend some theft prevention especially if you are anywhere near Portland (since you mention Oregon). Thieves love these rigs.

xvz12

Wow, I'd love to run across one like that..... I had an '88 for a number of years, & I've kicked myself ever since for getting rid of it.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I am about to fix radio and add some new speakers. I can't decide if I should just stay stock ( was my original idea) new 4" speakers or if I should cut into the door. If I cut into the door I can make the stock 4" speaker into tweeter and then add speakers in the door.
What does everyone think?

VanWaLife

Personally not a big fan of wired sounds systems at this point. I just use a jobsite speaker on a shelf behind the seats, easily converts to campsite tunes. If I were wiring a stereo in, I'd probably try to get 6x9's, maybe in boxes behind the seats, not sure if they'd fit in a door. But it takes a lot to drown out the solid front axle noise, with IFS you could probably be happy with something smaller.My rig once had 6" speakers below the xtra cab windows (I've since covered up the holes with electrical boxes), so that's another option.
IMG_2220.JPG

jgallo1

Adventurer
I am leaning towards just upgrading the stock 41/2 speakers to start.

Also still trying to figure out the rear leafs. Trying to keep the truck pretty stock. OME medium pack might be a little much. Might have to go custom from Alcan they are definitely more expansive but might be the only option for keeping the truck from looking like a stink bug

tennesseewj

Observer
Cool truck. Maybe the only one I've ever seen without a hole in the bedside!

Unless you're planning to do a full audio system (sound deadening, woofer, etc.) I would think the extra effort in going from the factory size speakers to slightly larger door speakers wouldn't yield substantially better results. There are tons of aftermarket speakers available in odd sizes these days.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jgallo1

Adventurer
Cool truck. Maybe the only one I've ever seen without a hole in the bedside!

Unless you're planning to do a full audio system (sound deadening, woofer, etc.) I would think the extra effort in going from the factory size speakers to slightly larger door speakers wouldn't yield substantially better results. There are tons of aftermarket speakers available in odd sizes these days.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I am going to add sound deadener to the doors and floor along with rubber mat to provide better insulation. I think I will be ok with 4.5" speakers. Can always add more speakers down the road.
Easier than patching holes and tearing out wires. ha ha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz