Bundutec Bunduawn issues

nafod

A "buyer beware" post. I have had the 360 Bunduawn on my Conqueror UEV 390 since I purchased it two years ago. I have only used the trailer about 8 times but am on my second awning, and need to repair or replace the current one. The first awning ripped along one of the arms and was replaced under warranty. The second ripped a similar manner, the result of a known defect, and Bundutec refuses to replace it, even after acknowledging the issue is with their manufacturing process. The Bundatec people at their home office in South Africa have apparently said they won't support me on this, but, Jenn, and all the people at Bundutec USA, have been awesome and are helping me out. Bundutec USA could give the home office in South Africa some lessons on customer service. As for the awning, the thing is huge when opened and I really like it, but it is so big that it turns into a sail in any kind of breeze, and the hardware and mounting plate is simply not strong enough to handle much wind on its own. If you decide to buy one, STAKE IT OUT EVERY TIME. As for me, I will repair it (I have to drill the rivets and replace the entire cover, and re-rivet) and see how it goes, but if it fails again I will go another direction.

COLDCUT

A "buyer beware" post. I have had the 360 Bunduawn on my Conqueror UEV 390 since I purchased it two years ago. I have only used the trailer about 8 times but am on my second awning, and need to repair or replace the current one. The first awning ripped along one of the arms and was replaced under warranty. The second ripped a similar manner, the result of a known defect, and Bundutec refuses to replace it, even after acknowledging the issue is with their manufacturing process. The Bundatec people at their home office in South Africa have apparently said they won't support me on this, but, Jenn, and all the people at Bundutec USA, have been awesome and are helping me out. Bundutec USA could give the home office in South Africa some lessons on customer service. As for the awning, the thing is huge when opened and I really like it, but it is so big that it turns into a sail in any kind of breeze, and the hardware and mounting plate is simply not strong enough to handle much wind on its own. If you decide to buy one, STAKE IT OUT EVERY TIME. As for me, I will repair it (I have to drill the rivets and replace the entire cover, and re-rivet) and see how it goes, but if it fails again I will go another direction.

Thanks for the info nafod, I just recently purchased the Bund awning and installed it on my Jeep JLU. I have it mounted to a Rhino Pioneer rack. I’ve only managed to take it out on a single outing so far but it worked flawlessly and you’re correct, that thing is huge. I’m wondering if you might happen to have any pics of the affected areas on your awning. I’d like to know, more specifically, what I need to keep an eye on. Once again, thanks and good luck with your repairs!

kmacafee

Adventurer
I had a Bunduawn installed on my Bundutec Camper that covers the side and rear. While it covers a lot, it has to be tied down as even in light winds, it acts like a sail. It works but the materials used to build it are not as robust as they should be given the stresses placed on them. I own a Hannibal awning from a previous vehicle and have installed it over the side door instead. It's extremely well made and all the materials are very robust. I'll stake it out in heavy winds or pull it in.

I'll second the kudos to Jenn and Rory at Bundutec. They are so customer service focused in everything they do.

nafod

Thanks for the info nafod, I just recently purchased the Bund awning and installed it on my Jeep JLU. I have it mounted to a Rhino Pioneer rack. I’ve only managed to take it out on a single outing so far but it worked flawlessly and you’re correct, that thing is huge. I’m wondering if you might happen to have any pics of the affected areas on your awning. I’d like to know, more specifically, what I need to keep an eye on. Once again, thanks and good luck with your repairs!
No problem. Here is a pic of the rip. Also, before this happened a friend used my trailer and while he had the awning out, unstaked, a gust of wind snapped one of the arms. Replaced ($75) and all was well until I unzipped the awning on a later trip and found this.....It was fine when it went in the bag.

Attachments

• IMG_3302.jpg
    IMG_3302.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 229

nafod

On a side note, I am about to re-engineer my awning. I am going to put a solid aluminum mounting plate on and get arms with thicker walls. And, I will put some kind of oil impregnated bushing between the arms. I am hoping to turn this thing into what it should have been to begin with. I will post pics if anyone is interested, but it will be a month or so until I can finish it.

On a side note, I am about to re-engineer my awning. I am going to put a solid aluminum mounting plate on and get arms with thicker walls. And, I will put some kind of oil impregnated bushing between the arms. I am hoping to turn this thing into what it should have been to begin with. I will post pics if anyone is interested, but it will be a month or so until I can finish it.

Please, post pictures. Although I don't own one of these, I'd still like to see what you do. I've been "kicking tires" on awnings for a while.

nafod

Please, post pictures. Although I don't own one of these, I'd still like to see what you do. I've been "kicking tires" on awnings for a while.
Will do. Meeting with my fab guy tomorrow. In the meantime, if you are shopping, look at Kinsmenhardware.com. Good people and a great product. But, pretty specific mounting system so not good for all applications out of the box.

nafod

As promised, an update on the direction I am trying. To recap, my Bundatec 360 awning has been a disappointment, somewhat due to the design, mostly due to customer service at Bundatec SA. The Bundatec USA people have been awesome and tried to make this right. This thing is huge, but the arms are very weak and there is a known manufacturing problem that makes some of the awnings susceptible to tearing where the velcro is sewn on. Aside from the torn fabric, here is what happened to mine. The extruded aluminum mounting plate is not strong enough to handle the poor hinge design combined with the massive sail that is created in even the slightest breeze. If you get one of these, ALWAYS STAKE IT DOWN!

img_3430-jpg.616278

My idea is simple, replace the mounting plate with a solid aluminum piece. Easier said than done, especially considering that the awning channel is part of the extruded piece.

IMG_3751.jpg

I found awning channel at a sail shop, but it was 6 inches too short. I cut it in half, left the gap in the middle, and drilled through the mounting plate to mount it. You might notice the horrible fit and finish of the hinge (channel cut and drilled) and wonder why they didn't use 6 in channel to make the thing go the full width of the mounting plate. Join the club. As it is, two bars sit inside the channel with one on top, all hinged on a large bolt. Overall, the fit, finish, engineering, and attention to detail on this unit sucks. And, with everything I have gotten from SA, I have determined that one could make a killing selling torque wrenches and locktite down there. Nothing, literally nothing, has been tightened up, and I have spent a lot of time just correcting that issue.

IMG_3841.jpg

The arms are thin walled aluminum, with some kind of resin in the end to support the stress of the hinge motion. I have decided to try and use solid aluminum bars for the two arms the point straight out from the trailer as they are the ones that take the most stress. Those bars might be too heavy, though, and I will source the thickness walled 3/4x1 1/2 bars I can find if that is the case.

IMG_3754.jpg

So, this is where I stand at the moment, but I should finish this in the next week. But here are a few more pics of the madness...

IMG_3840.jpg
IMG_3746.jpg
IMG_3302.jpg
IMG_3303.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3430.jpg
    IMG_3430.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 885

nafod

Final couple of pics. Still need to work out a few minor issues, but nothing significant.

Attachments

• IMG_3908.jpg
    IMG_3908.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3909.jpg
    IMG_3909.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 195

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
After decades in Baja's high winds we came to the conclusion that a swap meet type canopy is the only one that holds up. This is not the chintzy folding ones that fit in a bag. It's the ones with the galvanized pipes and plastic tarps with bungee cords. We got the tarps in silver. A milk crate stores the fabric,angles and bungees and a 6" sewer pipe lashed onto the rack holds the poles. You use threaded end caps for access. You can use connectors to cut the poles in half to limit the length of sewer pipe. The gable type worked well in order to not collect water. Showers were accomplished with seawater in the solar showers(they use too much H2O) followed by a garden sprayer rinse off. We didn't have much money or water and we were in the middle of nowhere. Fun times,way before the crowds.

Max_kojones

That's good to know i was thinking in buy one but no way looks like a headache !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles