Do Full Sized Vehicles Make Good Overland Cars?

ZMagic97

Explorer
Depends on the needs (or wants). I have on 06 GMC Sierra my wife daily drove and we used for camping and trips. We've had it for 0ver 5 years and I don't think I can ever sell this truck. It's been too good to me.

It's a crew can short bed, so full size but not too long. With a 6" lift and 35s it doesn't fit into some garages.

However, it's reliable (and parts are easy and relatively cheap when needed), fits my family of 5, carries all the gear, and goes anywhere I need it to. Not as nimble of m old 2 door Wrangler, but with decent skill and smarts, it's no problem.

If it were just me, the 2 door Rubicon would be been fine. But certainly wasn't as generous in the spare room department.

85_Ranger4x4

Well...lol... I'm not on instagram and all we took was "needs." The kiddo has to have somewhere safe to sleep, a stroller is a necessity with a little one if you are out for any amount of time. Gotta bring warm clothes if it's in the winter and there are all the other odds and ends.

And all that crap eats room fast.

And more yet if you have to pack around pumping stuff too.

billiebob

Size really has zero to do with capability of traction. Lighter is just easier to get unstuck. Tire size is relative to vehicle size too.

But if you have kids and pets...... you'll likely NEED a bigger vehicle.

Smileyshaun

Observer
No you can only overland in a 4runner or Tacoma ...... the nerve to think a full-size could carry around camping gear in the woods , just preposterous why would you want to stay below your GVWR when you could push way past it and put on really offset wheels so your midsize not only weighs as much as a full size but is now also as wide and gets probably worse mileage than a V-8. That’s true overlanding right there , Oh and don’t forget the need to carry five Jerry cans with you because the tiny little fuel tank on the midsize needs fuel every 150 miles when it’s fully loaded down. ?

Humvee4us

Size really has zero to do with capability of traction. Lighter is just easier to get unstuck. Tire size is relative to vehicle size too.

But if you have kids and pets...... you'll likely NEED a bigger vehicle.
Not necessarily. You have to take into account flotation. Get a really heavy vehicle and unless you have really large tires you'll be winching out the whole time.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
The most of the domestic full-size trucks have decent payload. They are ok off-roading vehicles too.

The unfortunate thing is all of them are “ unreliable”... according to the fan base the other manufacturer is crap and theirs is amazing.
This confuses a hell out of me.
There is no objective judgment.
Ford is crap according to the GM guy, the GM is crap according to the RAM guy and RAM is crap according to the ford guy.
So only option is left is the Tundra, though proven and reliable, it so old and outdated even the Roman chariot looks more advanced.

If a newbie comes to this website he will leave even more contradictory information. For example, one guy says he spent entire week at a dealership fixing his bright new truck and then, other guy replays him saying It’s all BS, and that he drove his truck form Florida to Fairbanks with a slightest issue.
Only thing one is left with is to look at the numbers (payload) features (factory locker, gear ratios etc) and the price. That’s it. The rest is up to your instincts.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Would this be considered a full size truck?

th4f09w.jpg

Just kidding, I was toying with this idea and photoshop but just didn't have the time or energy to actually execute it. Get it, it's cute?

So to answer the question of do full sized vehicle make good overland cars? YES they do, every vehicle make a great overland car for exploring the US.

An American dream of building a rig that can explore Australia's Frasier Island for a week while being self contained is an unrealistic and overly glamorous dream that is just not true for 99.99999% of North America's wannabe overlanders. I have explored just as much of Death Valley in my (brother's) 1996 Honda Civic as I have in my Suburban. But let me tell you that 37" tires were a lot more pleasant than 26" tires, and I did not have to zip tie the bumpers back on in the Suburban.

Take what you have and go out and explore with what you have. Make mistakes, learn and get or modify your vehicle or toys to better fit your need and keep on exploring.

sub1-jpg.378035

This is what I started out with, and after 7 years and 200k miles of adventures and misadventures it slowly evolved into:

pcXsHGq.jpg

My current full size "overland" (read car-camping) truck. 7 years, 200k miles and under $3,000 in all upgrades and repairs (except tires), is still my daily driver, weekend adventurer and coolest truck I have ever owned.

Seats 6 comfortably
400+ miles range off road with no extra gas
Same break-over angle as a 2017 2 door Rubicon
Front and rear AC
10 times the cargo volume than a Honda Civic with rear seats folded

It's built for south west desert exploration with a family of 5. This is the most perfect overland vehicle for me.

dstefan

The most of the domestic full-size trucks have decent payload. They are ok off-roading vehicles too.

The unfortunate thing is all of them are “ unreliable”... according to the fan base the other manufacturer is crap and theirs is amazing.
This confuses a hell out of me.
There is no objective judgment.
Ford is crap according to the GM guy, the GM is crap according to the RAM guy and RAM is crap according to the ford guy.
So only option is left is the Tundra, though proven and reliable, it so old and outdated even the Roman chariot looks more advanced.

If a newbie comes to this website he will leave even more contradictory information. For example, one guy says he spent entire week at a dealership fixing his bright new truck and then, other guy replays him saying It’s all BS, and that he drove his truck form Florida to Fairbanks with a slightest issue.
Only thing one is left with is to look at the numbers (payload) features (factory locker, gear ratios etc) and the price. That’s it. The rest is up to your instincts.
This has been a useful tool for me, up to a point. https://www.carcomplaints.com/. I like that it combines the NHTSA information with complaints to the website. Seems pretty objective and let’s one see clear patterns. Sadly, there’s no attempt to show a ratio of issues to volume of vehicles. Have to do that yourself. I like that it separates the Ford F series into models, wish I could find sales broken out that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles