2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Camperthing...love the suspension etc build. I'm really curious about your layout ideas for the camper cabin. Will you access from the cab? Side entry I assume?

Thank you sir!

My layout idea, which is just an idea for now is very similar to @AndrewMuse setup with his Muse Roamer.

I want it as open as possible inside and he nailed it. But i will likely have my shower and kitchen sink on the same side, for ease of draining.

I am planning on a rear side entry to keep the layout as open as possible from that aspect also.

There will NOT be a pass through and no access from inside the cab. For the following reasons:

-I simply cant cut a giant hole into a brand new truck (resale value would drop dramatically if ever separated truck from camper)
-I'm way too big and fat to climb through said hole
-I dont want the noise inside the nice and quiet cab
-Insulation

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Finally got it all weighed with everything I've done so far, and after mounting the rear bumper and sub-frame (more details on that soon)

Day i got it, bone stock was:
Steer: 5420lb
Drive: 3700lbs
Total: 9120lbs

Today Done and Ready for box:
Steer: 6060lbs
Drive: 4540lbs
Total Weight: 10600lbs

All mods, wheels, tires, subframe, rear bumper: +1480lbs.

Quite a bit less than i expected, but i guess i lost some poundage removing the insane leaf packs.

GVWR: 19,500
Available Payload Now: 8900lbs
Estimated Camper build out: 6000lbs =/-

GVWR Safety Buffer: 2900lbs-ish PERFECT! (possibly towing small 4x4 later on)

WEIGHT_SUBFRAME_BUMPER_FORUM.jpg

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I removed the Buckstop steps and ordered a set of the stock ones online.

The stock ones needed to be trimmed about 4" to fit with the flares and mudflap i am adding later, but the fit, finish, and stability is quite amazing for $300 shipped to my door.

This is NOT a knock on Buckstop, i love the wheels, bumper, and even the flares, but the steps, and their mounting system is a little weird.

They're so heavy and low, that they bend the pinch weld each time my fat ass got in the truck. I havent even driven the truck much, and can already see signs of some paint peeling, where it was bending. Fixed and repainted before installing stock step.

The plan was to use the buckstops, and modify them to be sliders as well as steps. Since they attach to the body, bracing them to the frame would transmit a lot of vibes and stuff i didn't want to do.

I'm 6'4" so having the stock steps isnt a big deal, and they work great. My shorter passengers might not like them as much, but.... hahahaha

Also, the stock step is obviously weaker, which is what i want for this particular part. The buckstop steps are so heavy and beefy, if i happen to hit them on a rock or something, they'd likely cause significant damage to the cab.

If i hit a rock with the stockers, hopefully they just break off! :)

Super easy install. 1 beer job

stockstepsforum.jpg

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Nothing rock rail should be bolted to the pinch weld.....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Nothing rock rail should be bolted to the pinch weld.....

Huh? :p

But yeah, a rock rail / slider should most definitely not be mounted to the pinch weld.

I’m ok with it for just steps.

Issues with rock rails for this, there’s almost no way to mount a set nicely around the DEF tank that would hold the weight of this pig.

Not a much deal, don’t plan on rock crawling, but....

java

Expedition Leader
Huh?

But yeah, a rock rail / slider should most definitely not be mounted to the pinch weld.

I’m ok with it for just steps.

Issues with rock rails for this, there’s almost no way to mount a set nicely around the DEF tank that would hold the weight of this pig.

Not a much deal, don’t plan on rock crawling, but....
Yes....but I promise you will ********** the ******** out of the step/slider.... Take a look at mine

Not anywhere near the pinch weld and either sturdy AF or easy to beak will be your friend

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Making Some Progress (subframe/bumper almost ready for powdercoat next week)

One of the non-negotiables for this build was, permanently mounted, rock solid, easy to deploy and retract STEPS. So much so, the subframe was designed to accommodate mounting them.

I know it may seem trivial for some, but not me. I very rarely spend the night in the same place twice while traveling, so I am constantly moving.

The Brophy folding removable steps on my last setup were nice, did the job, and well made, but the constant removing them, installing them, storing them, etc, got old pretty fast. Having seen several of the fancy electric auto deploy ones fail in person, that wasnt an option, they didnt work for my height either.

After a pretty ridiculous amount of research and driving all over to check them out in person, i decided on the Torklift Revolution Steps with adjustable all terrain feet.

They come in a ton of different configurations, number of steps, and have lots of adjustability to match the door height, uneven terrain, etc..

I had 42" from ground to bottom of subframe where i was mounting them, so i went with part # TLA8005

I fabbed up some beefcake mounting brackets to mount the steps to the subframe, Had my friend Ian from Wheel Every Weekend (click to check them out) weld them up after some trial and error for positioning.

I couldnt be happier with them, how perfectly they fit, and the easy adjustability to fine tune the position and stability.

VERY VERY well made nice product and highly recommend! I paid full price, not sponsored in anyway, just super happy with these.

NOTES: Yeah, the exhaust is being modified to clear the steps, and the Kelderman system. The fenders/mudflaps (to be installed later) will cover these from debris. With the Kelderman 4 link system, the tires moves straight up and down, not in a rearward motion like a leaf spring would, ample clearance.

campstep1_FORUM.jpg

campstep2_FORUM.jpg
campstep3_FORUM.jpg

campstep4_FORUM.jpg

campstep5_FORUM.jpg

campstep6_FORUM.jpg

campstep7_FORUM.jpg

campstep8_FORUM.jpg

campstep9_FORUM.jpg

campstep10_FORUM.jpg

HAF

I have the same steps on my camper. They work great. I would consider a guard to protect the steps from debris off rear tire.
Also, can you post more pictures of your sub frame and mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior