Camp Tables - What are you using?

pluton

Adventurer
I have one of the small roll top tables from REI. I used it occasionally for about 10 years and it still works, but I moved on to something larger. The thin, hinged bracing rods don't seem rugged at all. It looks like if they or the leg tubes they slide on got bent, you'd have to retire (throw away) the table.

Reactions: MCX

DCH109

Adventurer
I like the looks of that table. How stable are the legs? Do they have braces? I can't tell from the product photos.

You can see by the two pictures.
The whole thing is made of galvanized steel. the legs look to be nothing more than conduit that has been bent on a slight angle.
Great as you could repair the legs if needed. Short of a vehicle driving over it, the leg will withstand a lot of abuse.
You can see the bend and the mount in the 2nd picture.
For me this is a perfect table. Not overly heavy, sturdy and built like a tank, easy to maintain and clean.
Nothing is welded and everything is constructed with pop rivets (blind rivets) and tight. Easy to repair and maintain.

When I called to order the tabler (i also got a large food box) I actually got Orv himself, he was great to talk to and just a nice guy.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 69

Robert Bills

Explorer
I called Riley Stove Company and spoke with Orv. What a nice guy.

He asked how I had heard of him. I replied that I had posted in an internet discussion about camp tables years ago and had recently received an email that there had been recent activity. That lead me to the post about his tables.

Orv took the time to answer every one of my questions and made me feel like a valued customer even though I had yet to purchase anything.

I ordered one Compact Metal Fold-Up Table and one Single Dutch Oven Cooker. I'm not sure when I will get to use them "in the wild" due to the pandemic, but I've decided to set up my offroad trailer in the back yard as my summer kitchen and practice my outdoor cooking so these new items will get some immediate use.

Thank you for bringing my attention to the Riley Stove Company.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Came across a new table I may buy in the future! Adjustable legs and all.

That's what we use. It's nice but is better if you add more holes in the legs for adjustability for uneven ground.
ac227492d2df74f3e8b89693c1a258e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Robert Bills

Explorer
Initial Review: Riley Stove Company "Compact All Metal Fold-Up Table"

Specifications:

Size stored: 15 x 23 x 4"
Size deployed: 30 x 23 x 27" H (comparison - standard card table is 30x30x26h)
Weight: 18#
MSRP: $175

Source:

Orville Riley
Riley Stove Company
P.O. Box 817
Townsend MT 59644
(406) 266-5525
rileystovecompany.com

Comments:

I have searched for years for a sturdy, compact metal camp table that would stand up to the heat of a hot stove and the abuse of overlanding. I think I have found the table I have been seeking.

This patented table is constructed from 18 gauge galvanized steel. It folds into a suitcase. Although no backpacker's table, this unit will withstand considerable abuse, can hold the weight of a loaded dutch oven without any problem, and is impervious to the heat from a stove or hot pot. Almost any damage can be repaired in the field with some ingenuity and permanently repaired at home. Scratches, if you care about them at all, will disappear with some light sandpapering. I fully expect this table to last longer than me.

Orv Riley, the owner of Riley Stove Company, is well known among horsemen and packers for the quality of his camp stoves and dutch oven cookers - and he is a pleasure to do business with

Photos:

Riley Single Dutch Oven Cooker and Compact Table set up.jpgRiley Compact Table set up with stove and scottle 2.jpgSingle DOC on left and Riley table on right.jpgRiley Stove Company Table in back of jeep.jpg

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ Nice find Robert!

Getting ready to start on another camp table; this time for the Escape trailer. Starting with a 2'x4'x1/2" sheet of FRP which is incredibly light (the panel weighs ~4lbs) and incredibly rigid for its weight and thickness. It will also serve as our outdoor shower "ceiling" when needed with a velcro on shower curtain easily and quickly attachable around the outer 3-sides. It will anchor to the side of the trailer and use a single telescoping pole to go from about 30" high for table height to 6-1/2' high in shower mode height. And it will store under the mattress when in transport.

More to follow.

dcg141

Adventurer
^^ I have had a Riley double dutch oven cooker. What a cool design and it works great. It holds a lot of heat so you need to experiment with the number of coals you use.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

DCH109

Adventurer
Initial Review: Riley Stove Company "Compact All Metal Fold-Up Table"

Specifications:

Size stored: 15 x 23 x 4"
Size deployed: 30 x 23 x 27" H (comparison - standard card table is 30x30x26h)
Weight: 18#
MSRP: $175

Source:

Orville Riley
Riley Stove Company
P.O. Box 817
Townsend MT 59644
(406) 266-5525
rileystovecompany.com

Comments:

I have searched for years for a sturdy, compact metal camp table that would stand up to the heat of a hot stove and the abuse of overlanding. I think I have found the table I have been seeking.

This patented table is constructed from 18 gauge galvanized steel. It folds into a suitcase. Although no backpacker's table, this unit will withstand considerable abuse, can hold the weight of a loaded dutch oven without any problem, and is impervious to the heat from a stove or hot pot. Almost any damage can be repaired in the field with some ingenuity and permanently repaired at home. Scratches, if you care about them at all, will disappear with some light sandpapering. I fully expect this table to last longer than me.

Orv Riley, the owner of Riley Stove Company, is well known among horsemen and packers for the quality of his camp stoves and dutch oven cookers - and he is a pleasure to do business with

Photos:

Hi Robert,
Great! I like my table a lot like you mentioned It is solid. I use it as a stove base all the time. It really is a solid table.
I also have one of his food/ chuck boxes. Built the same and while heavier, I never have to worry about it getting damaged. Plus it hold everything one would ever need.

His Youtube Videos are a hoot.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Hi Robert,
Great! I like my table a lot like you mentioned It is solid. I use it as a stove base all the time. It really is a solid table.
I also have one of his food/ chuck boxes. Built the same and while heavier, I never have to worry about it getting damaged. Plus it hold everything one would ever need.

His Youtube Videos are a hoot.

I've only found one of Orv's YouTube videos. I'll have to google them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles