Things to hate about a 2020 Tacoma...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I just wish they'd get their seats off the floor. They're like sitting in a low beach chair in soft sand. No stop/start nonsense yet,eh?
San Diego's got a zillion of them loaded to the gills with racks,RTT's traction mats.hi-lifts Rotopaks on and on and they're immaculate. Not a scratch. I know you use yours up there but here it's a lot bucks to drive around.

Hey Dave. There are lots of them up here too. At 500 miles on the odo I had the locker engaged and multiple come-alongs in play. The power seats let you raise or lower yourself off the floor. And no, they haven’t gone to the starter motor torture test yet. I don’t think I could go there. As you’ve seen, I went back 9 years on my diesel so I’m still keeping it a blend of old and new. My ‘89 4Runner helps it stay real.

phsycle

Adventurer
Let me be frank. I like our new Taco. It is a TRD Off-road Premium. It’s a great little truck. But, there are some things that are driving me nuts. For starters, it never shuts up. It beeps constantly. Door open? Beeps. Moonroof open? Beeps. Fob in your pocket and walk to tailgate? Beeps. Beep beep beeping mothereffing beep. It’s driving me crazy. Can you turn off the all the warning alarms?

Next on the list of crazy making things is the fuel light comes on with less than 15 miles until empty. I do watch my fuel, but it seems to go from 1/4 tank to 15 mikes to empty in the blink of an eye. That’s not much help. Has anyone actually figured out how much fuel is left in the tank when the light comes on? If it really is “15 miles to empty”, it must only have a one gallon reserve which is ludicrous.

Thoughts? Comments? Knowledge on how to turn off the beeping beeps or how far you can really go when the fuel light comes on?

When the light comes on, how many gallons goes in when you fill up? (Tacoma has a 21 gallons tank.) Remember DTE is an estimate and a very generous one at that. I found I usually have 3-4 gallons still in the tank even when the DTE says zero.

Dalko43

Explorer
Don't like the 3.5l v6.
Don't like the seating position (at least pre-power adjustment).
Don't like how the roof line is so low (likely for better aerodynamics). People like to point out how the low seating position is due to Toyota keeping the floor high (ground clearance). The reality is that the seating position is low because Toyota wanted to keep the roof line low. Even compared to the Hilux and 4runner, the Tacoma seating positions and overall cabin comfort just isnt great.

But for what you pay, it still is a decent midsized truck...certainly very reliable and capable.

roving1

I test drive a RAV 4 once with someone who wanted help buying a car on a snowy day. Driving completely normally and not aggressively every time there was 1centimeter of tire slip the vehicle would scream at you the traction control was on and cut the throttle and beep incessantly. Just driving trugh stop signs in a subdivision at walking speeds it would not stop screeching at you and this model had no t/C off. It was unbearable. Went to a Honda dealer and they bought a CRV.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Ours is the premium. Power heated leather. Pretty comfy. Not as sporty as my ‘89 4Runner, but better than my 2014 Ram 3500.

So, they're still low to the floor like driving a Camry? Pass. Our RAM has the power adjustable buckets and the chair-like seating position I prefer.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Don't like the 3.5l v6.
Don't like how the roof line is so low.
But for what you pay, it still is a decent midsized truck...certainly very reliable and capable.

The 3.5 is growing on me a bit. It’s not a diesel, but it’s got lots of jam if you stomp on it. The roof is low, but that’s one of the reasons I bought the premium. The sunroof gives more headroom, and allows light in. Without the sunroof, they feel claustrophobic to me.

So, they're still low to the floor like driving a Camry? Pass. Our RAM has the power adjustable buckets and the chair-like seating position I prefer.

I’ve never owned a single car other than a dedicated rallycross car, so I’m not sure what it’s like to drive one. You do sit a bit lower than you do in my 3500, but it’s more of a “sports-truck” so I’m ok with it. If I want the “truck” experience, I drive the Cummins.

phsycle

Adventurer
...The roof is low, but that’s one of the reasons I bought the premium. The sunroof gives more headroom, and allows light in. Without the sunroof, they feel claustrophobic to me

Hm. I’ve had both. One with and one without a sunroof. My hair kept brushing against the ceiling in the sunroof model. Ceiling is lower to accommodate the sunroof. Without the sunroof, it gave me an extra ~2” of headroom.

bkg

Explorer
Don't like the 3.5l v6.
Don't like how the roof line is so low (likely for better aerodynamics). People like to point out how the low seating position is due to Toyota keeping the floor high (ground clearance). The reality is that the seating position is low because Toyota wanted to keep the roof line low. Even compared to the Hilux and 4runner, the Tacoma seating positions and overall cabin comfort just isnt great.

Toyota has had lower seating positions than most domestic trucks since the 70's. It's a love it or hate it situation. I prefer it, some days. Other days, I get in the F350 and feel way more comfortable.

Dalko43

Explorer
Toyota has had lower seating positions than most domestic trucks since the 70's. It's a love it or hate it situation. I prefer it, some days. Other days, I get in the F350 and feel way more comfortable.

Toyota's have normal seating positions IMO....the Tacoma is the only vehicle where I've noticed a low seating position...mostly to accommodate the low roof line.

bkg

Explorer
Toyota's have normal seating positions IMO....the Tacoma is the only vehicle where I've noticed a low seating position...mostly to accommodate the low roof line.

Cab hasn't changed since 05... The Tundra has a normal (what I call) bar stool seating. I suspect the 08+ Sequoia is the same. FJ/FZJ's always felt higher to me. But my experience is that every non-Tundra/Sequoia** I've owned sits low-and back.

** - I think the 1st gen Tundra's and Sequoias are lower than the 2nd gens, but not as low as the mini-truck/4runners.

Explorerinil

Observer
With the negatives, the one major positive outweighs them all. My buddy has one, bone stock with around 500,xxx miles. He changes the oil with wal mart super tech oil “when he feels like it”. Never has had a single problem just routine maintenance.

Say what you want, but they are very well built trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles